SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Fox's Shepard Smith on being gay: 'It's not a thing'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Fox's Shepard Smith on being gay: 'It's not a thing' Login/Join 
Rule #1: Use enough gun
Picture of Bigboreshooter
posted
http://www.al.com/news/index.s...ml#incart_river_home

In a rare glimpse into his personal life, Fox's Shepard Smith told students at the University of Mississippi that while he is gay, it is only a part of who he is.

"I don't think about it," Smith said. "It's not a thing. I go to work. I manage a lot of people. I cover the news. I deal with holy hell around me. I go home to the man I'm in love with."

Smith addressed Ole Miss journalism students last month but his comments began attracting national attention after a story was published this week in the Clarion-Ledger.

Smith's sexuality wasn't a secret, though he has rarely speaks on the topic publicly.

Last year, he addressed it when asked about former Fox News chief Roger Ailes, who resigned from the conservative news network following allegations he sexually harassed female employees. Since that time, Bill O'Reilly, the host of cable's top-rated show "The O'Reilly Factor," was fired over similar allegations.

Smith addressed Ailes' firing in his comments at Ole Miss.

"Someone asked me if Roger Ailes (founder and former chairman and CEO of Fox News and the Fox Television Stations Group) had been abusive to me, and I said, 'No. He was always good to me,' and that was the truth. And when I told the truth, I guess it was considered that I outed myself. I didn't even think about it, because I didn't think I was in."

Smith, Fox's chief news anchor and managing editor of its breaking news division, said he never hid his sexuality but generally avoided questions about it over concerns about the consequences.

"A. You're going to hell for it," he said, explaining his reluctance to address the questions. "B. You'll never have any friends again. C. What are you going to tell your family? And by the way, you're on television on the craziest conservative network on Earth. That will probably put you in front of a brick wall. Of course none of that was true, but that's how it felt."

When a strong man, fully armed, guards his own house, his possessions are undisturbed. Luke 11:21

"Every nation in every region now has a decision to make.
Either you are with us, or you are with the terrorists." -- George W. Bush

Posts: 14826 | Location: Birmingham, Alabama | Registered: February 25, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
"I go home to the man I'm in love with."
Yeah, and when you're not there, others "go home" to him, too, pinhead.

Posts: 109047 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
"I go home to the man I'm in love with."
Yeah, and when you're not there, others "go home" to him, too, pinhead.

I thought he was talking about his extensively mirrored home.

Posts: 8881 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:

Hah! Big Grin

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
quote:
though he has rarely speaks on the topic publicly.

Who edits this stuff?

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10752 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

Hah! Big Grin

We had a cockatiel who was in love with his mirror. When you tried to take it away, he'd get ugly and attack.

Posts: 16169 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichardC:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
quote:

Hah! Big Grin

We had a cockatiel who was in love with his mirror. When you tried to take it away, he'd get ugly and attack.

Was his name Shepard?

Posts: 8881 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of spunk639
posted Hide Post
More shiny stuff to distract the gullible from the facts, focus on him being gay and hip and all the acceptance that gets, and not how he's a liberal hack of the fake news MSM.

Posts: 2837 | Location: Boston, Mass | Registered: December 02, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of gasche
posted Hide Post
Uh, O.K. Should we give him a medal?

Posts: 748 | Location: Western Washington AC | Registered: August 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
I don't care who he plays pin the tail on the donkey with. He needs to stop using the line "We report, you decide" because he dosen't report a dam thing. He editorializes everything. And everything is anti-Trump and anti-conservative. The monkier "Fair and Balenced" dosen't exist for him.

His mug shows up on the TV, I can't reach for the remote fast enough.

Posts: 10640 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gasche:
Uh, O.K. Should we give him a medal?

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44458 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Live Slow,
Die Whenever
Picture of medic451
posted Hide Post
Ah yes, the Grand Order of the Blue Falcon...

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people and I require the same from them."
- John Wayne in "The Shootist"

Posts: 3487 | Location: California | Registered: May 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sgalczyn
posted Hide Post
I believe Gerbil Brigade is more fitting.

"No matter where you go - there you are"

Posts: 4653 | Location: Eastern PA-Berks/Lehigh Valley | Registered: January 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post