SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Nitro Fill tires. Real or hype?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nitro Fill tires. Real or hype? Login/Join 
Delusions of Adequacy
Picture of zoom6zoom
posted Hide Post
I'll have to look into it the next time I have the blinker fluid changed.

I have my own style of humor. I call it Snarkasm.

Posts: 17944 | Location: Virginia | Registered: June 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hype...and I sell tires for a living.

Posts: 270 | Location: NorCal | Registered: June 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Did you come from behind
that rock, or from under it?

Picture of Audioholic
posted Hide Post
My Hindenburg brand tires are filled exclusively with hydrogen.

"Every time you think you weaken the nation" Moe Howard

Posts: 2048 | Location: Out standing in my field. | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Karmanator
Picture of Chance
posted Hide Post
I prefer Nitrous Oxide in my tires. When I am feeling down - a quick pull on the valve and I am ready to go.

Posts: 3276 | Registered: December 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah, what type of car? My brother in law has a high-end Mustang that has nitrogen filled tires. I just can't imagine a salesman selling that nonsense for just a simple day to day driver though.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30409 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do the next
right thing
Picture of bobtheelf
posted Hide Post
Tires will lose slightly less pressure with nitrogen fill. This matters if you only check tire pressure every year and a half or so. It also contains less moisture. This matters if you have cast iron wheels that you somehow fill with wet air.

Posts: 3661 | Location: Nashville | Registered: July 23, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
Just two anecdotal nitrogen in tires stories:

The AI who takes care of our bird fill the tires with nitrogen. He said aircraft tires (& tubes as light aircraft tires are often not tubeless) are more porous than car tires and lose pressure slower with nitrogen. He still puts air in car tires though.

A certain local trucker who shall remain nameless is rumored to have run nitrogen and at higher than normal pressures from time to time to avoid having “the truck cops” visually detect that he was overweight.

That’s all I know about nitrogen in tires. I just run air in all our road vehicles. I do run water in some of the tractor tires, but that is a CG thing...

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I use air in my tires on the Ferrari

is that high enough performance?

really, nitrogen filled tires is just as bogus a claim as man-made global warming

[B] Against ALL enemies, foreign and DOMESTIC

Posts: 53183 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Bottled nitrogen doesn't entrain moisture like air coming out of a shop compressor. It's the moisture that's the issue more than whether or not it's N2 or just air. The moisture can lead to corrosion of the TPMS sensors given enough time.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8351 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fredward:
I fill my tires with helium. It's like riding on a cloud! Big Grin

And it sounds great! Big Grin

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
quote:
I was just like, 'here's the bottom line, gimme the car for this price or I'm walkin.' "

So what was the price with and without the nitrogen?? Big Grin

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Facts are stubborn things
Picture of armedprof
posted Hide Post
I have often wondered how they managed to get all the air out of the tires before they filled them with Nitrogen... oh wait they didn't. So that tire is really not filled with 100% Nitrogen.

I call BS on paying more to put Nitrogen in your daily driver.

Do, Or do not. There is no try.

Posts: 1786 | Location: Just South of Charlotte, NC | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Locally, Tire Discounters made a BIG deal about nitrogen filled tires a couple of years back.

Not sure why, but I do not recall hearing those claims for some time.

I think maybe people caught on. Smile

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36841 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armedprof:
I have often wondered how they managed to get all the air out of the tires before they filled them with Nitrogen... oh wait they didn't. So that tire is really not filled with 100% Nitrogen.

I call BS on paying more to put Nitrogen in your daily driver.

Local shop used to charge ~10 bucks extra when buying a new set of tires for it. Now it's included for free.

They fill and bleed of each tire three times to minimize the remaining moisture and Oxygen.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Well I thought nitrogen charge was more of a deal so I checked FM 9-207 Operations And Maintenance Of Ordnance Material In Cold Weather and the only time it is mentioned is for charging sights and equilibrators. Just making sure they are charged with dry nitrogen to prevent accumulation of water. No pressure discrepancies noted.

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
We serviced aircraft, according to Tech Order, with "clean dry air, or nitrogen".

Nitrogen results in less pressure differences due to heat delta from static ambient air, and the heat generated from taxi, takeoff, landing and braking.

So, if a tire is serviced to approx 200-300lbs (majority pressure range of aircraft that it truly matters, like fighters, bombers, cargo and civilian passenger aircraft), at an airfield at below 0*F say, Thule or Gander, and then flown, lands, hard braking and long taxi in Phoenix or Dallas with 100* + temps, you want a stable and still withing service tolerance in your tires.

The SR-71 and the Shuttle, nitrogen only. (even greater extremes)

Normal cars typically only benefit from the near 2x rate of loss of pressure from the 21% delta of O2 in "air" vs the nitrogen.

So a tire that may lose 1 lbs of air in a week services with "nitrogen", will lose 2 lbs of air in that same time serviced with "air".

That effects service of tire, and affects mileage. So for lazy folks with leaky tires, it might be a little benefit.

Most tires lose pressure over a very long time, so in "the real world", it matters very little.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43885 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Yellow Jacket
posted Hide Post
This subject comes up regularly on the motorcycle forums.

It boils down to this:

If you think it doesn't matter, don't use nitrogen and you will never know the difference.

If you have OCD, use the nitrogen. It still won't matter but you will feel better.

If you race motorcycles, or Yugos, professionally go ahead and use nitrogen, it may make a small difference.

Disclaimer: This is my opinion only. A copy of this post and about ten bucks will get you a latte at Starbucks. Smile

God's mercy: NOT getting what we deserve!
God's grace: Getting what we DON'T deserve!

"If the enemy is in range, so are you." - Infantry Journal

Bob
P239 40 S&W
Endowment NRA
Viet Nam '69-'70

Posts: 1099 | Location: Fayette County, GA | Registered: April 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
Nitrogen is only used because it's dry and will not corrode your rims or condense the moisture from air into an ice ball in the bottom to unbalance the tire in the winter.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34115 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Itchy was taken
Picture of scratchy
posted Hide Post
I fill mine with a 78% Nitrogen mix....... Cool

Posts: 4019 | Location: Colorado | Registered: August 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Glorious SPAM!
Picture of mbinky
posted Hide Post
Well I could care less about your tires. As long as my fire control components are fog free and put warheads on for-heads on a US Artillery mil...(and OMG no new guys know what a mil is)...

Posts: 10635 | Registered: June 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post