SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Do I need a tinfoil hat or is Amazon using my phone camera?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Do I need a tinfoil hat or is Amazon using my phone camera? Login/Join 
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted
I’m on the outer banks in NC this week for a wedding. I needed sugar for my coffee so I stopped in at Food Lion. I was looking for sugar packets but only found Sugar in the Raw packets. I picked up the box and looked at it, considered buying it and decided not to. I bought regular sugar in a bag. Not less than an hour later I had an email recommendation from Amazon for sugar in the raw. Wtf. I have never searched for sugar or any food on Amazon. I get recommendations all the time but I know based my my search history why I got them. This one has me perplexed.

I also mentioned the story to the GF. Maybe Amazon is listening to me. Shit. Where’s the tinfoil. (I’ll probably get an email for tinfoil now)

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they're not monitoring you.

Q

Posts: 27625 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Q’s right

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11477 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
Q's right. Again.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
And they’ll keep “monitoring” you ‘til you buy the dirty sugar.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
happened to me as well, just start a random conversation about something you need thats off the wall and see if you get sent an advertisement.

Posts: 5678 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
Not the phone camera. The GPS knows where you are to the inch.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"The deals you miss don’t hurt you”-B.D. Raney Sr.
posted Hide Post
GF got a “web enabled” roomba.
She now gets furniture ads on amazon.

Posts: 6346 | Location: East Texas | Registered: February 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
How did you pay for the sugar?

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You can't go
home again
Picture of LBAR15
posted Hide Post
Not the camera, the microphone is listening to what you say. No tinfoil, it actually is listening.

---------------------------------------
Life Member NRA

“If you realize that all things change, there is nothing you will try to hold on to. If you are not afraid of dying, there is nothing you cannot achieve." - Lao Tzu

Posts: 4635 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: June 21, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XLT:
happened to me as well, just start a random conversation about something you need thats off the wall and see if you get sent an advertisement.

Same here. I started getting ads about things I have mentioned in spoken conversations with my wife.

Posts: 17675 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Food lion probably sold your purchase info to someone. Some ad type agency.

Sugar in the raw bought info about people that shop for sugar ... any sugar. That’s their target audience. They bought an ad on Amazon, targeting you.

No people involved really, just Algorithms.

Or maybe not Smile

Posts: 263 | Registered: March 08, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Happens to me quite a bit. I can be watching something on my non-smart tv and I’ll start getting articles about that show on my google feed. I was also talking to a coworker one time about venison jerky and how I would have to find my marinade recipe for him. Not long after I was getting a lot of venison marinade recipes coming up on my google page. I also just read an article that said your television emits an inaudible signal that your phone can hear that tells it what you are watching.

Posts: 104 | Registered: June 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
We looked at a pool float that you walk in on display at Sams. After leaving the store I had ads for those floats on my phone

Posts: 17944 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Joie de vivre
Picture of sig229-SAS
posted Hide Post
I was riding with SIL talking about something she wanted to purchase in the future. Sure enough the next AM she had an email for the exact same item.

Not listening? Give me a break....!!

Posts: 3865 | Location: 1,960' up in Murphy, NC | Registered: January 29, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I don't think my Jitterbug flip phone is doing that.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27911 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I was asking somebody about uranium ore, and the next day I got an email from a Ukrainian whore.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31452 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not your average
kind of girl
Picture of P226RN
posted Hide Post
Yep listening. So I use it to my advantage. When I want to get some bath and body works products on sale I just randomly talk about them to myself with my phone nearby. Usually about a day later they are on sale. The first time I thought, well, that’s just me being paranoid. After the 5th time I am a believer.

If it won't matter in 5 years don't give it more than 5 minutes.

Posts: 5187 | Location: Bye Bye Maryland! Hello WV! | Registered: May 12, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I thought I'd try that out.

I said out loud Gee I wish I had a hawt woman coming over tonight to...… yanno.

I said if several times, very close to the phone.

I said I'd wait and see what happened, and I would turn on the porch light.

I waited, then looked at my internet to see if I had ads for Hawt women.

NO luck.

Just dang ads for porch lights.

My luck. Sigh.

Posts: 11995 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Nah, no way anyone with a camera and microphone would EVER abuse using it.... Roll Eyes

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post