SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Emotional support dog bit another passenger.
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Emotional support dog bit another passenger. Login/Join 
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post

Turkey takes airplane ride as passenger's 'emotional support animal'
Linky linky

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
If it doesn't hurt you, and it most certainly doesn't in 99.9999999% of the cases, why care?

The vast, vast majority of them never bite or harm anything or anyone.

I've too much actually important shit to worry about than be bothered by other people and their dogs, however ridiculous the "need" to tote one around.

Much ado about nothing

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
JOIN, or DIE
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
If it doesn't hurt you, and it most certainly doesn't in 99.9999999% of the cases, why care?

I've too much actually important shit to worry about than be bothered by other people and their dogs, however ridiculous the "need" to tote one around.

Much ado about nothing

I wonder if the guy that had his face bitten feels that way too?

Posts: 3575 | Registered: February 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by joel9507:
With adult supervision back, perhaps the Americans with Disabilities Act - which makes it illegal to ask what the disability might be, and what the peccary/turkey/tarantula/whatever might be trained to do to address it - could be amended to address this nonsense.

Its illegal for the airline to question the legitimacy of the service dog. Now if the passenger who got bit files a lawsuit do they have the ability to subpoena the dogs certification and show it is legit or printed off the internet?

Posts: 5464 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Maybe he needs his own emotional support dog now?

Smile

(No, I'm sure the 0.00001% example probably doesn't feel happy about it)

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
With a service dog, you can ask two questions:
" (1) is the dog a service animal required because of a disability? and (2) what work or task has the dog been trained to perform? Staff are not allowed to request any documentation for the dog, require that the dog demonstrate its task, or inquire about the nature of the person's disability.
https://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html

Letters, hatnesses, cards etc. can be bought online and have no authority. People tha have service dogs really get angry with fake service dogs and the white "emotional support" routine.

My thought is the ADA was passed when service dogs were fewer and it was written to favor the people using service dogs. Now the problem are those abusing it. Most places don't want to confront people with fake dogs. What's needed are better standards. However, there will be a massive push back.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SIGguy229
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David Lee:
Is there a difference between a service dog and a emotional support critter?

Yes. A service dog must be able to perform tasks congruent with a disability. My wife has a service dog for mobility & stability. When she is in a chair, the dog helps her move (pulls); opens doors using the handicap button. For stability, my wife can walk short distances with a cane and dog helps her stabilize.

Service Dogs are trained/socialized to ignore other dogs and distractions. They are trained so when their vest is on, it's "work time"--they respond directly to their human. They are commonly referred to as service dog teams. My wife's dog is so imprinted on my wife, I cannot walk the dog or take the dog outside--the dog will refuse to go with me. Service dog breeds are usually a German Shepard Dogs or Retrievers...but can be any breed.

ESAs are essentially pets. They are usually untrained and unsocialized. They are essentially a hazard and threat to legitimate service dog teams. Punt or bait dogs are sometimes used as ESAs, but can be any breed.

Posts: 1726 | Location: South.....Carolina | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
There is a difference between an Emotional Support Dog and a Service Dog. I have a Service Dog & yes, he travels & flys with me. I am proud when we are unboarding the plane & I hear people saying that they didn't even notice there was a dog sitting a row away from them. I make darn sure to make sure he is clean & well trained. That being said, it is amazing how inconsiderate some people can be to us. I have huge signs stating "DO NOT PET" & have grown adults run up behind him, practically tackling him! Makes me seem like a bitch when I block their path & sternly state, do not touch my dog, he's working. He does his work in any condition, but it's the principle.

It depends on what state you live in as to training & certification requirements for Service Dogs, so not all Service Dogs will have actual tags. I have had my Service Dog while living in 2 different states. 1 had a certification process & 1 did not. However, in the 1 that does not, I have to be able to prove/provide training logs that have certain requirements.

And just because you can't see that a person is disabled, doesn't mean they don't have a disability or they must have their dog with them 24/7. I have passed out several times because of my disability, once I totaled my car (this was before I had my Service Dog). My issue is worse when I am stressed so I make sure my Service Dog is with me whenever I drive, am sleep deprived, or travel.

People just need to use some common sense & courtesy. Don't take your dog with you if it hasn't been trained to use the bathroom in designated areas (I can't stand it when I even see that people allow there dogs to poop on the sidewalk), makes sure it knows to leave people alone (some people don't want your dog going up to them even if it is friendly & some people are even allergic to them) & leave other people's dogs alone. Most people with a true Service Dog do not want extra attention, we just want to go about our day without a hitch.

Posts: 537 | Registered: March 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Call me old fashioned, but I'd like the "report" to have a little more info such as how it happened. I am doubtful the lab mix just went full retard and repeatedly jumped up to bite the guy in the face.

Did the bitee get in the dog's space? Did the dog perceive him as a threat for some reason? Was the dog on a leash?

Really hard to make sense of it and decide what level of outrage I should have when the only thing reported is the outcome...

What, are you kidding me? That animal has no business being on that airplane in the first place. The dog's space? What a joke.

Not kidding at all. My point was the article provided very little information. I am not one to jump to conclusions based on 5% of the story. ANY dog will defend it's owner. ANY dog will potentially snap if it feels threatened. There was a lot of missing information.

The second article posted fills in a lot of the blanks. Agreed, a dog that size shouldn't be on someone's lap in the confined area of a plane.

While your personal opinion may be there is no reason for a dog, any dog, to be on a plane the fact is that it legal and allowed. Feel free to not like it, but welcome to the world where we all have to deal with stuff we don't like.

There lots of legitimate "support" or "therapy" animals, I seriously doubt the abuse of the designation is as high as you would like to believe. Like in many cases, it is a small minority that get most of the attention and cause people to make false assumptions.

Absolutely sucks to be face bite dude, just like it absolutely sucks to be the victim of anything. Knee jerk reactions, exaggerations, and zero tolerance mentality generally doesn't help or solve problems though.

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 11220 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:

There lots of legitimate "support" or "therapy" animals, I seriously doubt the abuse of the designation is as high as you would like to believe.

I'll take that bet.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leave the gun.
Take the cannoli.
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

There lots of legitimate "support" or "therapy" animals, I seriously doubt the abuse of the designation is as high as you would like to believe.

I'll take that bet.

Me too. The American airlines have become third world busses.

I was on a flight that announced that they will not serve peanuts nor do they want anyone to eat their own carry-on peanuts because they were informed that a passenger had a severe peanut allergy but fuck all those passengers who are allergic to cats, dogs, turkeys, and the rest.

Posts: 6634 | Location: New England | Registered: January 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Me, three!

My mom's miniature poodle is a "service animal" according to her and she can "take it wherever she wants" without being stopped because she has a piece of paper that says so... she thinks.

I have scolded her about throwing around these terms and know she has no intention of actually trying to cheat in any way, but it still irritates the hell out of me.

Point is, it's really, really easy to get a piece of paper that indicates whatever you want it to.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16312 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Just a quick sidetrack, on my flight to France a few weeks ago (I was flying alone; my wife and daughter were already over there), I had the pleasure of some young boy stretching out to sleep next to me with his head on his father's lap and his stinky, dang feet on mine. I tolerated that for about 45 seconds before shoving them off of me.

Nice Portuguese Automatic! I think...?

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12672 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Georgeair:

Nice Portuguese Automatic! I think...?

I wish! No, that's my Tag Heuer Carrera.

But thanks!

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

Posts: 30900 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post

Price: $16.99 + $5.00 shipping
In Stock.
Get it as soon as June 8 - 13 when you choose Expedited Shipping at checkout.
Ships from and sold by Xpress ID.

WHY BUY: It’s rather simple, you love your pet and you want it everywhere with you; restaurants, buildings, hospitals, shopping centers, hotels, cruise ships, grocery stores and even airplanes. Well, this is the way to do it! Grab your service dog ID, and have doors opened for your dog!
FREE DOG REGISTRATION: Complimentary registration to the US Service Animal Registry website with every purchase. Instruction for registration will arrive via email after purchase. Allow up-to 6 hours for email to show up.
HIGH DEFINITION- PRO QUALITY: Our service dog ID is professionally designed, has high definition details and full color. The material of the pet ID is high quality PVC with a size of 2.20” x 3.40”. The image & text are imprinted into the ID cards and will not delaminate over time!
GUARANTEE: In case you are not fully satisfied with our service dog ID, you can rest assured you are safe, as you are covered by a 100% Money Back Guarantee AND Replacement Policy! You simply can’t miss such a risk-free deal.
PROUDLY MADE IN THE USA.

Compare with similar items
New (1) from $16.99 + $5.00 shipping

https://www.amazon.com/XpressI...vice+dog+certificate

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J...ef_=ams_ad_dp_asin_1

Posts: 16171 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:

Much ado about nothing

Because I don't want to live in a Mexican bus culture.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

I'll take that bet.

Yep!

Service Animal Scams: A Growing Problem - A cottage industry has developed around fake emotional support animals

Why pigs have started to fly — the ‘emotional support’ scam

Many fliers avoid airline fees by misrepresenting their pet dogs as service animals, giving legitimate service animal owners a bad reputation.

Posts: 34541 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Chip away the stone
Picture of rusbro
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmoid:
I could give a flying shit about the "rest of the story" dog bit human/ put fucking dog down... now, right now
its an animal, NOT human, get it? or are people so confused any more?

Next...

Supposedly the dog's owner was a combat veteran. If he really had an issue with PTSD/anxiety/whatever, and he had a dog which hadn't been selected and professionally trained to assist him in situations where the both the dog and the handler might be stressed, the blame should likely rest not on the dog, but on the owner/handler and whoever decided it was a good idea to by law allow untrained, untested "ESAs" in such circumstances. LOTS of normally friendly dogs will bite under the "right" conditions.

Posts: 11597 | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a emotional support pocket snake.

When I rub it, it makes me feel better.

Posts: 7094 | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The One, the Only Mighty Paragon
Picture of Paragon
posted Hide Post
Report I read stated the dog was growling before it attacked.

NRA Basic Pistol Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer

Posts: 12062 | Location: Central FL | Registered: April 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post