SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the legality of receiving and keeping a package for your neighbor?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the legality of receiving and keeping a package for your neighbor? Login/Join 
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted
Here's the scenario. Step-daughter #1 placed an internet order. It's some sort of fancy, expensive, currently popular makup. UPS delivered the package to her neighbor. UPS admitted the error (the neighbor gets UPS packages multiple times per week and they're just used to delivering there) and tried to retrieve the package. The neighbor is home but she refuses to answer the door.

What kind of dirtbag accepts a package addressed to someone else and keeps it? Is there anything to do about it or just chalk it up to learning that you were correct about the neighbors that you already considered abhorrent?

Posts: 45413 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
She should contact the seller and let them know her makeup didn't arrive. They should replace her order. This is a problem between UPS and the makeup purveyor.

Posts: 26994 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
She should contact the seller and let them know her makeup didn't arrive. They should replace her order. This is a problem between UPS and the makeup purveyor.

this,

call UPS as well if tracking shows delivery to your address,

let them know it has not been delivered

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10448 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks. This is also the opinion of the makeup company.

Still, what sort of horrible person keeps a package not addressed to them?

Posts: 45413 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
... call UPS as well if tracking shows delivery to your address,

They've been involved and the driver owned up to the mistake. I hope he doesn't get canned for being honest.

Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
quote:

They've been involved and the driver owned up to the mistake. I hope he doesn't get canned for being honest.

He cannot not be honest. All his activities were digitally recorded.

Q

Posts: 26637 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Thanks. This is also the opinion of the makeup company.

Still, what sort of horrible person keeps a package not addressed to them?

The neighbor is indeed a shitheel.

Posts: 26994 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 12131:
quote:
quote:

Yeah. But unless he has a history of making this kind of mistake, or of otherwise being a bad employee, firing him for it would be kind of extreme.

As to what to do about Mark123's neighbor, I'd consider doing this:

• Put the neighbor on notice that you know what happened, that you think it's disgusting behavior on the neighbor's part, and that the neighbor has self-identified as a Bad Neighbor.

• Make it clear that do not want the neighbor anywhere near you, your family members, or your stuff, ever. In other words, that neighbor and all of his family members and friends do NOT have permission to enter onto your property or touch your stuff. If they do, you will pursue prosecution of trespass violations.

• Avoid all future interaction with the neighbor.

• If you know the sheriff, you might ask him to knock on the neighbor's door and discuss the incident with them.

Thanks,

Sap
  •  
    Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of rtquig
    posted Hide Post
    I get frequent UPS and FedEx deliveries. One time I received two boxes of Green Mountain K Cups with an address on the block over from mine. I went to the address and the women opened the door and saw I had her coffee. She said these must be yours, they were very heavy. Yea, 1,000 rounds of 5.56 can be heavy.

Living the Dream

Posts: 4022 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: December 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    If you see me running
    try to keep up
    Picture of mrvmax
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

What kind of dirtbag accepts a package addressed to someone else and keeps it? Is there anything to do about it or just chalk it up to learning that you were correct about the neighbors that you already considered abhorrent?

My former neighbor did the same thing, received a delivery of mine and then denied getting it.

Posts: 4147 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:

Put the neighbor on notice that you know what happened, that you think it's disgusting behavior on the neighbor's part, and that the neighbor has self-identified as a Bad Neighbor.

Make it clear that do not want the neighbor anywhere near you, your family members, or your stuff, ever. In other words, that neighbor and all of his family members and friends do NOT have permission to enter onto your property or touch your stuff. If they do, you will pursue prosecution of trespass violations.

Avoid all future interaction with the neighbor.

If you know the sheriff, you might ask him to knock on the neighbor's door and discuss the incident with them.

I would not do the above. We already know the neighbor is an asshole. It is generally wise to not instigate things with people who live close to you.

Posts: 17317 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    It's a form of theft, so why not file a police report if you have proof it was delivered to the neighbor's house?

Posts: 2496 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Freethinker
    Picture of sigfreund
    posted Hide Post
    Keeping and refusing to turn over something that belongs to another person who is known to the holder is theft. It doesn’t matter that the UPS driver made a mistake. It would also be true if I found someone’s wallet on the ground and when asked to return it said, “Finders, keepers.”

6.4/93.6

Posts: 47439 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Oriental Redneck
    Picture of 12131
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by SapperSteel:
    quote:
    Originally posted by 12131:
    quote:
    quote:

Yeah. But unless he has a history of making this kind of mistake, or of otherwise being a bad employee, firing him for it would be kind of extreme.

I was not making any points about firing him. Wink

Q

Posts: 26637 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by ZSMICHAEL:
    quote:

Put the neighbor on notice that you know what happened, that you think it's disgusting behavior on the neighbor's part, and that the neighbor has self-identified as a Bad Neighbor.

Make it clear that do not want the neighbor anywhere near you, your family members, or your stuff, ever. In other words, that neighbor and all of his family members and friends do NOT have permission to enter onto your property or touch your stuff. If they do, you will pursue prosecution of trespass violations.

Avoid all future interaction with the neighbor.

If you know the sheriff, you might ask him to knock on the neighbor's door and discuss the incident with them.

I would not do the above. We already know the neighbor is an asshole. It is generally wise to not instigate things with people who live close to you.

I agree with this. Having watched many episodes of a show called "Fear Thy Neighbor", unless they have a habit of doing the things mentioned I see no upside and a lot of potential downside to escalating the situation. It doesn't sound like the lady came onto your property and actively intercepted the package; she was just an opportunistic thief. If you are worried that they might be coming onto your property, but have no proof, then maybe put up some security cameras.

------------------------------
    "They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    - Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
    - Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Unapologetic Old
    School Curmudgeon
    Picture of Lord Vaalic
    posted Hide Post
    Ship your neighbor a huge case of glitter.

Then burn their house down.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10733 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by rtquig:
    I get frequent UPS and FedEx deliveries. One time I received two boxes of Green Mountain K Cups with an address on the block over from mine. I went to the address and the women opened the door and saw I had her coffee. She said these must be yours, they were very heavy. Yea, 1,000 rounds of 5.56 can be heavy.
    When I lived in Calgary, Canada, several times there was a gorgeous gal a block over with the dyslexic version of my address. God bless that FEDEX driver who kept delivering her supplements to my house and rain, snow, or shine I dutifully completed the delivery on their behalf. I think she only owned tight fitting yoga clothes...

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23380 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    I am not a lawyer, I also did not play one on TV, however I believe that legally the neighbor does not have to return it and can keep it. However morally I believe it is wrong. God Bless Smile

https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/a...nordered-merchandise

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3076 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    W07VH5
    Picture of mark123
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

I can understand burning the house down, but glitter?? You monster!!

Drill Here, Drill Now
    Picture of tatortodd
    posted Hide Post
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lord Vaalic:

If you use this site (https://shipyourenemiesglitter.com), the neighbors will voluntarily burn down their own house to get rid of the glitter.

The OP can always follow up with this embarrassing package.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23380 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post