Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

480p content Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
Wow. It's been awhile I guess. I suppose I'm used to watching at least 1080p content, sometimes UHD content.

I attached an old blu-ray player; just to test function, I inserted a formerly familiar DVD (Stargate).

Incredible we were ever satisfied with such horrible picture quality.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Lol - i have 480p version of Top Gun and Tombstone.

More grain a full silo.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Yea, some old TV shows on YouTube look awful.

Generally, we were viewing on much smaller screens...
Like blowing up a low res photo to a much larger size.

Also, could it be some resampling, upscaling of non native resolutions making them worse???

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The cake is a lie!
Picture of Nismo
posted Hide Post
It might look better on a CRT monitor.

Posts: 7424 | Location: CA | Registered: April 08, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Evil Asian Member
Picture of LastCubScout
posted Hide Post
I'm the opposite. I watch a lot of older movies, especially horror and exploitation B-movies from the '60s to the '80s. I'm used to them looking kinda faded with grain and film scratches, like Tarantino and Rodriguez intentionally added to their Grindhouse movies.

Companies like Shout Factory and Vinegar Syndrome are releasing these vintage cult movies all cleaned up with 4K transfers and they just look too sharp and colorful. They look like modern movies—it feels kinda wrong. Like, the first time I saw Night of the Living Dead was a faded scratchy hissy public domain print on a late night PBS station. To see it crystal clear in HD takes some of the creepy atmosphere away from it.

Posts: 5588 | Location: San Francisco Bay Area, CA | Registered: April 11, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
You want bad? Pop in a copy of a movie you recorded on VHS from the early 80s...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43912 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
I noticed that as well recently. I'm guessing it was because we were watching on a 36" CRT "big screen" and not a GIGANTIC flat screen.

Posts: 11395 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
We were satisfied with the quality because we'd never seen anything better, so it was outstanding...at the time.

Kind like when everyone knew that nobody would ever need more than 1MB of hard drive.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
They look like modern movies—it feels kinda wrong. Like, the first time I saw Night of the Living Dead was a faded scratchy hissy public domain print on a late night PBS station. To see it crystal clear in HD takes some of the creepy atmosphere away from it.

^^^ Exactly

I like the old movies, TV shows (especially the Westerns) to be in B&W.
Of course they are in lower res as well.
I despise the transition period of the the mid 60's when they went to color.
I can't imagine watching the Rifleman, Maverick or early Gunsmoke in color. Frown

Of course new high res stuff is awesome.
Just replaced an 12 year old Samsung 1080P Plasma with a new Samsung Nano QLED 8K.
Spectacular but it need the right content and blown up old SD is only meh - those are just as good on an old set - on any set really.

Posts: 22933 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Nismo:
It might look better on a CRT monitor.

Yep. Lower resolutions look better on CRT displays, due to their method of displaying the image using more loosely spaced lines instead of closely packed individual pixels, plus the smaller screen size overall.

Posts: 32538 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
It’s called NTSC

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
Try watching a VHS cassette. I used to have 5 channels over an antenna (NOT an HD one). Good times!

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17293 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
Bruh, 480p was an upgrade for most people in the DVD era.

Most people didn't have the required RGB cables for 480p. 99 percent of DVD players shipped with the single Yellow cord for video, and red/white for audio. 480 interlaced, baby.

Posts: 13051 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I treated myself this year to a 4K UHD Samsung TV. I was surprised how clear the pockmarks on actors' faces are.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19691 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
It’s called NTSC

AKA, never twice the same color.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:
Originally posted by SIGnified:
It’s called NTSC

AKA, never twice the same color.

Good one !!!

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
At some point in next several years the broadcasters are going to be required to move to ATSC 3.0, AKA NextGen TV, which brings OTA TV to 4k. And will again force all of us OTA watchers to buy at least another set-top box since the present ATSC 1.0 will sunset.

So, yes, we are really leaving 480p in the dust. And I'm afraid there's no good way to get those really old Johnny Carson episodes to look any better at the moment.

FWIW, NTSC is not the same as 480p. NTSC is the old color interlaces analog (not digital) standard with 525 interlaced scan lines, not all of which were visible.

There's NTSC, there's 480i and there's 480p. All different. About the only thing in common is roughly the same number of visible lines.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10930 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post