SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Sometimes you never know....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Sometimes you never know.... Login/Join 
posted
Sometimes you never know. Others, you find out about later.

I have a little story. I'll try to tell it in an understandable way.

It actually started/happened August 18th.; The last day of the first week of the new school year. As some of you know, I'm a bus driver.

On this day I was doing my middle/high school route. I was dropping off a middle school girl and as she was getting off the bus, I noticed that she looked upset. I asked if she was "OK?" and she just shrugged her shoulders. I told her to have a great weekend and see you next week.

Well, as some of you know I had a kidney stone attack and missed some work. Anyway, that girl hasn't ridden the bus since that day. Well I have her younger elementary school brother on my route so I asked him about her.

He told me that she was afraid to ride the bus because she was bullied. I asked him where? He told me on the bus!

Man, I felt really bad! I never seen or heard anything, but I felt bad. I told him that his sister never said anything about it to me. He told me that she was afraid to say anything. I asked him if he knew who it was, and he said no.

I asked him if his sister was going to ride the bus again and he said that he didn't know. I told him to tell his mom and dad and sister that if she rides again I will make sure that it won't happen again, but she has to tell me.

This conversation happened August 29th., that Friday I went in for out patient surgery for my kidney stones. I was off until this Tuesday.

So, Friday I go to work and it is foggy. Like so thick that you can't see anything. I could only see at best 60-70' infront of the bus. The type of day you just wish that you stayed home! I'm on my elementary school route, which is before the middle/high school route.

Now mind you this route that I'm on is mostly rural roads, like in very twisty, hilly and no stripping of any kind. One lane kind of deal, I'm having a bad day, people driving in the dark mind you without headlights on in thick fog, can't see the edge of the road, you know all that fun.

So I get to the boy's house. He is the last stop before heading to school. He gets on and hands me a little envelope.

Well off to school we go. We get to school and are waiting for our time to unload. I have a little talk with the kiddos about them acting up alittle and they depart for their day of school.

I walk my bus after they disembark and I open up the little envelope.

I'm not expecting what I read. As I sat there reading this card for these kids mom, I started to cry a little. Yep, I'm not afraid to admit that.

In short, and leaving out any information that could identify the children it said.

Mr. ARman. This thank you is long over due. This year is the first that the kiddos have ever road the bus. You made "young man" feel welcome. He likes your rules....

You asked about "young lady" and asked that day if she was "OK?". That reminded her that there are caring people in this world. She has endured some pretty severe bulling and I think that God put you there for her that day.

"Young lady" will be riding the bus on "such and such date" please let me know what the time is.

"Young Man" said that you were gone for a while because "your kidneys fell out and he went to the hospital!" I prayed for you and I'm glad that you are back!

Please accept my heart felt thanks!

I just didn't know what to think, I had a tear in my eye the whole way from the elementary school to my first stop 14 miles away.

I finished my route and went into the office. I talked to the dispatcher, I told her the story and read the card to her. She cried.

The problem is. I'm a sub bus driver and that was my last day on that route. I hate the route because I don't like the anchor elementary school. Before I received that card I was relieved that it was my last day on it! Now not so much.

Besides not liking the anchor elementary school, it keeps me from doing field trips during the week because it is so long.

I asked the dispatcher if I could stay on this route for at least a couple of more weeks. She agreed.

Sometimes you never know.
You never know how and in what ways you touch people around you.

Sometimes you never know what is happening with the people around you. No matter how observant you are.

Sometimes you never know how the little things will touch people around you.

I'm lucky to have found out, and I'm humbled that a Mom is thankful that I was there. I'm humbled because I was just doing my job. Which I love but sometimes feel like it's thankless. I'm humbled that this Mom, that I have never met is not only thankful, but she prayed for me.

So, sometimes you never know, sometimes you find out.

I am still choked up about this. I have many emotions. I know one thing. I'm glad that I was there for "young lady", even though I didn't know I was.

Sometimes you never know.....

ARman

Posts: 3216 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'd rather be hated for who I am than loved for who I am not
posted Hide Post
good for you.. one man can make a difference. Maybe you could talk to the regular driver and get him to look out for them!!!

Posts: 7876 | Location: Bismarck ND | Registered: February 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
You are a good man ARman.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
You are a good man. God bless you and the kids on your route.

Posts: 27184 | Location: SW of Hovey, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
You are a good man ARman.

Yep. The small things in life add up to big things. A simple show of empathy now could mean the world a few years down the road.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21150 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
To the world, you may be one person. But to one person, you may be the world.

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delmag Tech
posted Hide Post
Thanks for sharing that story. It produced my first smile of the day. Im really glad you were there for Young Lady. And Im glad they were there for you. Awesome stuff.

Posts: 744 | Location: Jacksonville, FL | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Good work ARman. That is a tremendous responsibility being a bus driver of children. Now you have more people praying for you.

Posts: 255 | Registered: February 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
Good on you and blessings on you.

I can only imagine how alone that girl felt with her brother but you reaching out to them made all the difference.

You were the answer to their question that is often asked by people: "Does anyone care?"

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20080 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
As a parent I used to pray my younglings were cared for by people like you when they were out of my hands. You know, I still remember those gracious people who were kind to me when I was young. I think about them and pray for their well being. Thank you for being selfless enough to care for this youngling.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29909 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin101:
good for you.. one man can make a difference. Maybe you could talk to the regular driver and get him to look out for them!!!

The problem is there is no regular driver. We are short handed and this along with 9 other routes are open. All of the open Route drivers (sub bus driver) are being rotated out on a monthly basis, because some of the route that are open suck.

I talked to the dispatcher and when I do move to be able to talk to the next sub bus driver about this situation.

ARman

Rumors of my death
are greatly exaggerated
Picture of coloradohunter44
posted Hide Post
Great story. I'm glad there are folks like you that care. Much of why I like spending time here.

"Someday I hope to be half the man my bird-dog thinks I am."

FBLM LGB!

Posts: 10994 | Location: Commirado | Registered: July 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm glad that I Could share this story. I never knew that it was happening and I felt bad for her. I was a little angry at myself for not seeing it or knowing that it was going on.

Sure, as she was getting off the bus I saw that she was upset, sure I asked if she was "OK". But I do feel that I failed her in some way.

I left out some of the note, and some of it was funny. It was humbling also, because "young man" told his mom about "how great and cool" I am.

I have thought about this a few times last night and today, and the note still brings a tear to my eye.

I'm just doing my job and never realizing that what I was doing just being myself had such an effect on someone. Though I feel like I let"young lady" down, it was the opposite. I made her feel like some one cared.

Sometimes you never know. Sometimes you find out.

I know one thing, I'm hanging that little card up so I can see it every day, to remind myself that what you do has an impact on people around you. To remind me that some times it is the little things that we do that makes a big impact.

Because that little card sure did that for me! Not only was there that little card in that envelope, there was trust and appreciation for me just doing my job. Sometimes it does feel thankless.

Also, there was a gift card to a restaurant, and though it was nice, it is worthless compared to that card, that little card in that little envelope. Now that was pure gold.

ARman

A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
I believe that "Life" has many things to teach us, and ironically, "Life", uses others to teach us (and we, each other), and a large part of that "teaching" is the expectation to share what we have learned.

Sometimes it is without reward, and often, it is met with derision, but each must endeavor to pass along what we have learned, for that is a catalyst for multiplied returns.

"Failure", only exists, when one chooses not to try.

Remember the honor. You earned it.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44498 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
What a great read. You are a good man!

Posts: 5085 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Essayons
Picture of SapperSteel
posted Hide Post
God bless you, ARman, and keep you!

Thanks,

Sap

Posts: 3452 | Location: Arimo, Idaho | Registered: February 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Edge seeking
Sharp blade!
posted Hide Post
Thanks for being more than "just another brick in the wall"

Posts: 7643 | Location: Over the hills and far away | Registered: January 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kind words, I don't know if I deserve it/them.

Everyday I go to work, even when I don't feel well, I always smile and greet the kiddos. As a sub bus driver, it is hard to build a relationship with the kiddos. When I had my route, I knew all the kids names and most of their parents.

I realize that I (as the school bus driver) am the first person they see in the kids school day/career. That I might be the only one that they can talk to. I try to be there as much as I can.

I always try not only to do my job safely, but I also try to make the bus ride as fun as I can. It hurts me that this middle School girl not only didn't enjoy the ride but didn't feel safe, and that is unacceptable to me!

That little card. Man, I think that it will become one of prized possessions.

ARman

Just An Old Guy
posted Hide Post
ARman,

Please read my Signature line.

Outstanding job on your part.

What can one man do? You never know until you try.

Posts: 1975 | Location: VA | Registered: November 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Got bless you ARman. You are the boy slinging starfish: "It mattered to that one."

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12943 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post