SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    FaceBook alternative "MeWe" - Anyone using it?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

FaceBook alternative "MeWe" - Anyone using it? Login/Join 
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted
FB does what it does and pisses off a lot of folks, but it also does have some benefits in keeping in contact with people and sharing information. I get that it is a private business and all, but it essentially has a monopoly for what it is. As such, can anyone really force change?

I came across "MeWe", seems to be trying to complete but doesn't do ads, censorship (except of illegal/"violent"/etc) and keeps your info private instead of mining data (or at least it claims to).

Anyone else heard of or using it?

I would love for there to be an option/competitor to FB or has it got to the point where they are too big to challenge?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10963 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have tried it. Hoping it takes hold and makes a go of it. If FB shuts down a few more gun groups then it may gain enough traction.

Posts: 1995 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
The advantage of facebook, and where it does have some utility, is that there is a critical mass of people using it. Until an alternative reaches that critical mass, it's not going to be of much use. And, yes, this is very much a Catch 22 situation.

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I joined the other day

Posts: 6633 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BBMW:
The advantage of facebook, and where it does have some utility, is that there is a critical mass of people using it. Until an alternative reaches that critical mass, it's not going to be of much use. And, yes, this is very much a Catch 22 situation.

Therein lies the dilemma...

I would be more than happy to fully defect. While I have a paltry 71 "friends" on FB, I do belong to a number of "Groups".

Would love to see the folks running some of those groups make the move and "advertise" MeWe on FB (how long before FB woulds develop a "filter" for that though?)...

Posts: 10963 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Well, I decided to give it a go. Posted on my FB about it and will try to get my friends/family to join as well.

I started a Sig Group as well. Tell friends and family they have a choice. Please consider helping to make it grow!

https://mewe.com/group/5cd7074d15b4bf1b61d4c140

SF Jake
posted Hide Post
I joined...I think...not too good with the technology so we’ll see how this goes....I think I’m in though

Posts: 3121 | Location: southern connecticut | Registered: March 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Ok, I had three folks request to join the Sig group I started and I accidently declined two of them...

If it was you, sorry. New to this "moderator" stuff. Opened the Sig Group up to anyone, no approval necessary

Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I have a FB account, but don't use it much the way most seem to. I am a member of several different Groups, though, and communicate with other members there.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I use MeWe a little. But everyone has described the problem. Not many people are there.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
joined 6-8 months back. It is slowly gaining momentum.

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
MeWe started by a liberal let me try to find the info:

MeWe

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4844 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ozarkwoods:
MeWe started by a liberal let me try to find the info:

MeWe

When I heard the story of how it started, I figured it was. Honestly I don’t care about the person’s leaning. I care about the service/product.

It appears they don’t do the stuff that FB does that pisses me off, that is my primary concern.

Heck I’ve only been a member for 12 hours and have already come across two “gun for sale” postings.

Provide a forum to share info and ideas, don’t censor, no spam ads, don’t data mine info. Stay out of the way as much as possible. I’m surprised it isn’t growing faster...

10mm is The
Boom of Doom
Picture of Fenris
posted Hide Post
Leftists only abuse power when they have it. If MeWe gets market power like Facebook, you can be sure they will abuse it to the detriment of conservatives. You can guarantee it. They can't help themselves.

The budget should be balanced, the Treasury should be refilled, public debt should be reduced, the arrogance of officialdom should be tempered and controlled, and the assistance to foreign lands should be curtailed lest Rome become bankrupt. People again must learn to work, instead of living on public assistance. ~ Cicero 55 BC

The Dhimocrats love America like ticks love a hound.

Posts: 17471 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not One of
the Cool Kids
Picture of enidpd804
posted Hide Post
I joined last year for the same reasons. I have two friends. I'm hoping Oneway takes off, but who knows.

Posts: 3911 | Location: OK | Registered: August 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post