SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My first ride on a 1000cc supersport......very bittersweet (Yamaha YZF R1 gurus please come inside) **fixed on P.2**
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My first ride on a 1000cc supersport......very bittersweet (Yamaha YZF R1 gurus please come inside) **fixed on P.2** Login/Join 
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
I'm not 100% sure what I'm gonna do yet. Other than eBay and serialkillerlist uh I mean Craigslist does anyone know a good source for first gen R1 engines?

Thanks everyone for the input. I do appreciate it. There are a few more things I'm gonna check that might be easy fixes but it ain't looking good.

The only "gearbox" I've ever torn into was a AEG (Automatic Elecronic Gun) ICS M4 that I tore apart and installed metal bushings to replace the nylon bushings since I upgraded the electric motor to a higher full auto cyclic rate and installed a different piston and spring. It was not too bad but this looks a bit more involved. Big Grin

desmosedeci, shoot me a email.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The forum has been lacking in a Yamaha YZF R1 transmission guru, sounds like you are the man for the job!
Fully expect a "sticky grade" thread with high res photos, complete instructions, links to vendors for parts, torque specs etc.

Seriously, hope you find what you need and you are so far into it now you might as well "cure it or kill it".

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would add cycle salvage companies to your list of possible sources. I use Argo Cycle because its close to me, but I'm sure there are many others.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11178 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Ok. This looks promising.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Posts: 21238 | Location: San Dimas CA, The Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State.  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Sorry to hear about the issues. I have a 2012 FZ1 but the most I have done is changing the oil.

I do know there is nothing like a liter bike Smile crazy acceleration no matter what speed. Hell I can get to 80 in first gear.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
This is a shot in the dark but have you tried a different oil? I've had several shifting issues on different vehicles that pretty much went away with a change of lube.

Posts: 7097 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of jcat
posted Hide Post
ok, i'm just gonna say it.....

air shifter? Big Grin

Posts: 9958 | Location: RI | Registered: October 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This damn Yamaha R1 has started to vex my subconscious. I had a dream last night that I was able to fix the tranny but while the bike was warming up before a ride it caught on fire. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
So that known spring problem I was hoping was the source of the tranny issues, it is infact broken!!! It is looking like a $1.20 spring might be the source of all the shifting problems. I won't know for sure until later this week when the replacement spring arrives. Keeping my finger crossed!!!!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
This is absolute madness. At that rate complete fairings would cost more than the bike.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Old, Slow,
but Lucky!
Picture of dsmack
posted Hide Post
I'm very happy for you now that you discovered the broken spring!!!

That price for the NOS factory fairing is exactly why the insurance company is so prone to totaling a faired motorcycle after even a minor get-off... I went through that with my Suzuki B1200S Bandit a year ago.

The good news is that I had excellent coverage, and was able to buy back to low mileage B1200 at a reasonable salvage price, and it is now my younger son's daily commute bike.

I my particular case it ended up well, but everyone's mileage will vary! Cool

Posts: 3418 | Location: Spokane, WA | Registered: March 15, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stickman428:
This is absolute madness. At that rate complete fairings would cost more than the bike.

It is a well known fact that an $8k bike is made up of $20k in parts.

Posts: 3118 | Location: Germantown, TN | Registered: June 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Fixed!!! Big Grin A spring that costs less than two dollars fixed the shifting. Big Grin

I took the bike out for a brief test ride and it's shifting perfectly! It's fast. Might be too fast.

I'm liking the current naked bike / almost FZ1 like aesthetic. The engine sounds pretty damn good.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Picture of slyguy
posted Hide Post
Congrats!

The nightmare has turned back into the happy dream.

Good job on being persistent with that spring.

Ease up on that throttle until you get to know each other better.

Cheers~

Posts: 922 | Location: Valley Oregon | Registered: May 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
7.62mm Crusader
posted Hide Post
Just a spring. How cool is that. Its looking good stickman.

Posts: 17987 | Location: The Bluegrass State! | Registered: December 23, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Good job!

Would aftermarket/race lower fairings be compatible with the stock "nose?"

Posts: 11518 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
nukeandpave,

I don't know. I found some OEM fairings in decent shape but they have been painted black. Unless I spend a ton of $$$ I'll probably end up repainting whatever fairings I get.

I'm not sure it would look as good on my R1 as it does on a Ninja but I am thinking about picking up ugly OEM fairings and doing a flying tiger paint job. Big Grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Now that it's sorted out and already plenty fast the only modification I can see myself doing is maybe adding a steering dampener. It looks like that will be a few hundred for a good one but from all the stuff I've read about first gen R1 bikes, it seems like it could be worth the money.

I'm absolutely loving the sound of this 5 valve engine! It sounds downright nasty.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Anyone done the "plug and play" LED lights? I'm thinking about it for the R1.

I'm probably going to enjoy this R1 for the spring and summer and maybe (hopefully) sell it and my SV650S to pick up a BMW R Nine T & 2017 GSXR1000R. At least that's the plan....who knows. Big Grin. I've got a KZ750 twin on my radar right now. Cool

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bodhisattva
posted Hide Post
Love the flying tiger paint job!

I put an integrated tail light/turn signal unit (p&p) from Custom LED on my ninja 1000 ABS. Very easy install and works great. I'm very happy with it.

Posts: 11518 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 01, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post