SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Pike's Peak Advise ***Mission Accomplished/Pics Added***
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Pike's Peak Advise ***Mission Accomplished/Pics Added*** Login/Join 
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted
I'm looking to ride Pike's Peak on the Rocket III Touring this summer. I just noticed that the "race" is the week of June 24th (Sunday Race day). I wouldn't mind being there for the race but I'm not sure if lodging availability and other hassles might make it better for me to choose different dates (likely before the race).

For those who have attended this race before; should I take the opportunity to witness this event regardless of "hassle" or should I opt out and go for the dates around the event? Either way, advice on lodging and other cool things to do particularly motorcycle related would be appreciated.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: parallel,

A penny saved is a government oversight.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
The altitude on Pike's Peak is a little higher and the air is a little thinner than where you are. Be prepared for that.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Texas Bob C.:
The altitude on Pike's Peak is a little higher and the air is a little thinner than where you are. Be prepared for that.

Yeah, I'm bringing a couple oxygen bottles just in case.

Posts: 6708 | Location: New Orleans Area | Registered: January 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
By race I am assuming that you mean the vehicle race up the mountain. I haven't been but have seen videos of semi trucks hurling themselves up that mtn at impressive speeds. I heard it was more impressive when the roads were still dirt. I have been to the race but it would be fun to watch.

I have been a passenger going up that road it is narrow twisty and long steep dropoffs to the sides.

Colorado Springs is a fairly large town not sure how hard it will be to find lodging. Keep in mind there are several other places to stay, south Denver is less than an hour away. Manitou Springs is nearby and a cool little tourist trap of a town.

If you got the time and inclination white water rafting out of canyon city going through the royal gorge is awesome.

Posts: 390 | Location: Northern Colorado  | Registered: May 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4MUL8R
posted Hide Post
The barometric pressure up there is 18-19 inches of mercury. Not much. There is no way I would ride my motorcycle up that road. No way. I have done it twice (many years ago) in OEM test vehicles and it is worth the drive, for the view from on top.

-------
Trying to simplify my life...

Posts: 5074 | Location: Commonwealth of Virginia | Registered: January 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I went last year and it was fun. A couple of days before the race and race day it is chaotic. Unless you really want to see the race I would avoid the mountain during that time. The day after the race everything is mostly back to normal. Lodging is a issue the week leading up to the race. I was able to get rooms on the Air Force base but there was not a lot of affordable options. There is a lot of cool stuff/roads in the area.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3696 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
No problem on a motorcycle, be hydrated and there's a good chance you might get a tad dizzy, your biggest worry is tourist driving towards you in the middle of the road because they are afraid of the edge. Plenty of hotels and there's a couple of Triumph dealers in Denver if you need something for the bike...Used to have an R3,what a beast...

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
I lived in Colo.Spgs., for many years and finding lodging during the Hill Climb shouldn't be a big problem, but it never hurts to get your reservations in early.

I owned a motorcycle while I lived there and Ute pass out of Colo. Spgs., to Woodland Park and Woodland Park to Cripple Creek are a great ride.

Almost forgot....things can get pretty hectic on the road up the peak during race week, so bear that in mind.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2094 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
In the mid seventies I drove a 1930 tudoor model A sedan with wife and kids on it.We were on the Gliddon tour with our car group .
The old A have a inside the cabin car adjustment on the carburator,it came in handy as my buddy was driving a Winton and had much trouble.
Was sleeting near the top,fine gravel roads were a bitch.

Posts: 22411 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Modern fuel injection has reduced the power loss and excessively rich running normally aspirated engines used to have at high altitude. There is obviously some power loss due to the thin air but it's not as bad as carbureted engines used to suffer.

Posts: 1571 | Location: SW PA | Registered: November 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the insight y'all. I think it would be cool to be there for the race, but I only have a few days in the area and so I think I'm going to choose to spend it riding instead of fighting traffic and crowds.

quote:
Originally posted by Cycler:
Modern fuel injection has reduced the power loss and excessively rich running normally aspirated engines used to have at high altitude. There is obviously some power loss due to the thin air but it's not as bad as carbureted engines used to suffer.

Yeah... 2300 cc motorcycle... even if I get some power loss It'll be fine especially as this bike doesn't rely on hyper tuning to generate power. Wink

Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
I need more advise y'all. I have finally figured out what dates I'll be able to go and it turns out it will be the last half of July.

I'll be on my motorcycle out and about the vast majority of the visit, so lodging is really about a clean safe place to lay my head and a safe place to park my bike. Price isn't the primary concern but I really don't see paying a lot of money for a room I'll be in for 6 hours a day or so. I'm thinking motel, but I'm open to other suggestions. Anyone have recommendations based upon experience?

Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I like to use camping cabins. Like at the KOA campgrounds. Got to have your sleeping bag and a pillow of some sort. They have power and sometimes AC. Not real expensive. Close to a shower and laundry facility.

Posts: 1959 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Common sense is genius dressed in its working clothes
Picture of sandman76
posted Hide Post
I've wanted to spend the night in the Springs and ride up Pikes Peak in the morning and bust it up to Mt. Evans and ride up that in the same day. Two Fourteeners same day on a motorcycle.

Posts: 1959 | Location: Douglas County, Colorado | Registered: July 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:
I've wanted to spend the night in the Springs and ride up Pikes Peak in the morning and bust it up to Mt. Evans and ride up that in the same day. Two Fourteeners same day on a motorcycle.

Hmmmmm... that sounds like a plan. I'm going to look into that.

Dirty Boat Guy
Picture of parallel
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parallel:
quote:
Originally posted by sandman76:

Hmmmmm... that sounds like a plan. I'm going to look into that.

The best-laid plans of mice and men often go awry. Especially when Mother Nature seems to be against ya. I did sort of complete the mission. I rode Pike's Peak twice (the first time my GoPro cameras were full of videos of my kids at the Softball Nationals) AND I rode Mount Evans... just not in the same day.

I decided to add this one because it was like these goats were posing for me... LOL.

This was the worst of Mother Nature's tantrum while I was visiting. I've dubbed this storm Hailnado... Razz

posted Hide Post
Great pictures. Glad you got to do it. Hope the bike wasn't damaged by the hail.

Posts: 794 | Location: York Pa. | Registered: January 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Official forum
SIG Pro
enthusiast
Picture of stickman428
posted Hide Post
Great pics! I bet that torque monster had no issues at all going up Pike’s peak. I went up in a rental Ford Focus, that Triumph probably has a similar sized engine. Neat bike!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The price of liberty and even of common humanity is eternal vigilance

Posts: 21127 | Location: San Dimas CA, the Old Dominion or the Tar Heel State…flip a coin  | Registered: April 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I can't tell if I'm
tired, or just lazy
Picture of ggile
posted Hide Post
My nephew told me they got some heavy rain and hail about a week, or so, ago. Manitou Springs and Ute Pass had some flooding and wash out from the Waldo Canyon burn.

You are lucky you didn't get caught in that.

"The problems we face today exist because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living."

"Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety"
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 2094 | Location: South Dakota-pheasant country | Registered: June 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ewills
posted Hide Post
Awesome pics! Thanks for sharing. I know folks that have done the ride. Would like to someday. That hailstorm looked brutal. Hopefully your bike survived without any damage.

Posts: 308 | Location: NOVA | Registered: February 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post