SIGforum
Dash cams

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/320601935/m/9740000194

April 06, 2022, 01:47 PM
cworetired
Dash cams
I have been thinking about getting one for upcoming trips. Thing is I know nothing about what is good and what to stay away from. Looking for some help.
April 06, 2022, 01:55 PM
tatortodd
Dash cam talk 2022 recommendations

These guys eat, sleep, and breath this stuff and have 2 to 6 in parallel in their cars. Myself and other Sigforumites have 1 in a car or 2 so nowhere near the knowledge and side by side comparisons.

My current one, VIOFO A129 duo, was recommended by them a few years back but it’s a generation old. New models have the same form factor but better resolutions and capabilities. I really like having front and rear cameras that are recorded on same card and synchronized.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
April 06, 2022, 02:39 PM
h2oys
^^^ Good advice.

Here is another source for reviews in addition to the one from Tatortodd:

https://dashcameras.net/best-dash-cams/
April 06, 2022, 02:52 PM
Mikus36
Been happy with the Thinkware camera.

"It's a Bill of Rights - Not a Bill of Needs"
The World is a combustible Place
April 06, 2022, 03:02 PM
NavyGuy
The Dashcam market has exploded in the past several years, with newer (no doubt Chinese) full featured units available for a lot less then even 2 years ago.

I've got a Blackvue 750 in my truck for 5+ years, running anytime I'm driving and it's been flawless. It was a bit spendy when I bought it and since the market has changed so much, I'd give a hard look at other options if buying today. Although let me say again, I've go zero problems with the unit and only use a small portion of the available features.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence
April 06, 2022, 03:02 PM
Blume9mm
Number of years ago I bought a Garmin GPS for my work van that had the back up camera option and it came with a dash camera on it. I liked it so much I bought another for my personal vehicle before they stopped making that model... not sure if Garmin still has GPS's with dash cameras, but that's the direction I would look in.

Edit: I checked Garmin's web site and I don't see any GPSs with dash cam included anymore.... bummer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Blume9mm,

My Native American Name:
"Runs with Scissors"
April 06, 2022, 03:03 PM
old dino
Was just thinking the same about getting a dash cam ... great information here !
April 06, 2022, 03:05 PM
M'headSig
I have a Rove K2 which is very easy to use. It's currently $119 at Amazon, but it frequently goes on sale. Also, if you're interested follow Rove on Instagram and sign up for their newsletter at their website and they'll alert you to their regular sales -- in the past it's gone down to $90.
April 06, 2022, 03:37 PM
darthfuster
I have a BlackVue 750 two channel. Happy with it

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier
April 06, 2022, 05:30 PM
mcrimm
Garmin in my SUV. It has recorded 2 incidents of people trying to run me off the road. We’ll worth the $$

I'm sorry if I hurt you feelings when I called you stupid - I thought you already knew - Unknown
When you have no future, you live in the past. " Sycamore Row" by John Grisham
April 06, 2022, 05:38 PM
c1steve
Install a two camera system asap. A friend of mine was hit from the rear while stopped for a utility truck on a country road.

Effectively the utility truck took off before the police showed up, and an underage passenger in the rear car took off as well. Driver was under 18 y.o. Because she could not prove which utility company it was, or that the rear driver had an underage passenger, her legal settlement was reduced by at least $200,000. After three years of health care treatments she still had problems, lots of them. Out of work for over three years, tremendous headaches, etc. Do not delay, put it in ASAP.

-c1steve
April 06, 2022, 05:52 PM
Black92LX
quote:
Originally posted by M'headSig:
I have a Rove K2 which is very easy to use. It's currently $119 at Amazon, but it frequently goes on sale. Also, if you're interested follow Rove on Instagram and sign up for their newsletter at their website and they'll alert you to their regular sales -- in the past it's gone down to $90.

I got one for Christmas and it has been great

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!
April 06, 2022, 06:56 PM
mo4040
I have had a Rexing for about 18 months and have had zero issues.

April 06, 2022, 07:07 PM
blueye
Another Rove fanboy. It is fantastic.
April 06, 2022, 09:37 PM
Nismo
This thread also reminded me I needed to get another cam for my car.

I just ordered a Rove R2-4K. I'm planning on hardwiring it to the fuse panel.
April 06, 2022, 11:32 PM
konata88
I looked into Rove. 5 second skim looks like generally good reviews.

However, About Us just has a comment from "CEO" without a name? I try to search for CEO of of Rove and find a name and then 4 different people all with the name Andy Rove - founder of Rove.

Seems like a shill for a PRC company. Perhaps a decent product for a reasonable price. But if it's a shill for a PRC company, I'm out. At least be up front about being a PRC company. But it's trying hard to look like an american company. Perhaps I'm wrong. If not, they can FOAD.

BTW, I have a Garmin Mini Dashcam. Works well but resolution is nothing to write home about. Good enough to show what happened but may not be good enough for hit and run - license plate only discernable if close in front of you.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book
April 07, 2022, 06:05 AM
SigM4
We have several of the 1440 resolution Garmin units across multiple vehicles. I’ve been very pleased with them as their smartphone interface works well.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…
April 07, 2022, 07:58 AM
slabsides45
I have a Rexing in my truck for the front. I've had good luck with it so far (about 2 years??). I will say, what it has done lately is remind me that I've left my rear bumper totally exposed, however. As stated above, the front camera provides no coverage for anything that happens on the back half of your vehicle, so I'm thinking about how to cobble together another camera to cover the back right now.

"You cannot legislate the poor into freedom by legislating the wealthy out of freedom. What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving."
-Dr. Adrian Rogers
April 07, 2022, 09:11 AM
tatortodd
quote:
Originally posted by slabsides45:
...I'm thinking about how to cobble together another camera to cover the back right now.
Since yours is a couple years old, might consider upgrading to one of the recommended (see links above) dual cameras instead of adding a 2nd stand-alone camera. For example, the Viofo 129 Duo series is the same form factor as your rexing and has the front & rear camera that records to the same card which means synched time stamp and GPS location. On the budget end, they have the newer version of mine, but they also have the 2k and 4k (on recommended list) for much higher resolution. Higher resolution means more likely to capture license plate and the driver's face.

Using a trim tool to tuck the cable into trim pieces and headliner, it wasn't too bad to run the cable from the front unit to the rear unit.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
April 07, 2022, 10:35 AM
TVzombie
quote:
Originally posted by cworetired:
I have been thinking about getting one for upcoming trips. Thing is I know nothing about what is good and what to stay away from. Looking for some help.