SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gentle reminder on what you should NOT say to your wife when she calls and tells you she was just in a minor accident.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gentle reminder on what you should NOT say to your wife when she calls and tells you she was just in a minor accident. Login/Join 
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted
We all know that yelling is immature and wrong. But, a gentle reminder that the following are also incorrect responses:
1. Spontaneously snorting and then LOL when you hear that she hit a curb;
2. Asking if there was any other damage to the family vehicle instead of telling her first it is OK and that you love her; and
3. Not immediately asking if she would like you (Don’t make it worse by suggesting she NEEDS you) to come change the tire for her.

Don’t ask me how I know that 1-3 are not acceptable responses. Eek

Posts: 12478 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do you have my phones tapped ? :|

"Crom is strong! If I die, I have to go before him, and he will ask me, 'What is the riddle of steel?' If I don't know it, he will cast me out of Valhalla and laugh at me."

Posts: 6641 | Registered: September 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I think Home Depot carries those nice dog houses shaped like an igloo...

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15644 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
Don’t ask me how I know that 1-3 are not acceptable responses

I think most of us have a good enough imagination that an inquiry is not required.... Big Grin

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38027 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gearhounds:
I think Home Depot carries those nice dog houses shaped like an igloo...

ohhh you could get a window AC while you are at Lowes and add it to the Igloo

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11312 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
here's a helpful guide

"are you ok?"
"is the car ok"
"do you need any help?"

in that order, and she won't be angry.

Posts: 8151 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
You could always say, 'Hey, at least you didn't crash through the garage door again like Mrs DF....' Big Grin

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29743 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FenderBender:
here's a helpful guide

"are you ok?"
"is the car ok"
"do you need any help?"

in that order, and she won't justifiably be angry.
FIFY.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
You could always say, 'Hey, at least you didn't crash through the garage door again like Mrs DF....' Big Grin

Maybe you and I should be looking for a studio apartment to use. We live only a few miles apart and could share as needed.

Posts: 12478 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No good deed
goes unpunished
Picture of cheesegrits
posted Hide Post
I dunno. If I call my husband and tell him that I, spontaneously and without interference from a 3rd party, hit a curb hard enough to be render the car undriveable, it's ok if he points and laughs. But I would totally come up with some yarn about avoiding a herd of really cute kittens or something. (And I would appreciate the tire change--it's still a million degrees here.)

Yelling at me would be a really poor judgement call on husband's part.

Hope the OP's wife and car are ok. Smile

Posts: 2680 | Location: The Carolinas | Registered: June 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The 2nd guarantees the 1st
Picture of fiasconva
posted Hide Post
Just so you all know, "Call AAA" is not an acceptable answer either. *s*

"Even if the world were perfect it wouldn't be." ... Yogi Berra

Posts: 1869 | Location: York County, VA | Registered: August 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
quote:
here's a helpful guide

"are you ok?"
"is the car ok"
"do you need any help?"

in that order, and she won't justifiably be angry.
FIFY.

well, at least at you, the husband.

posted Hide Post
Some years back, I received a wife call to report her car was now beached on a parking block and could not be moved.
My incorrect response:
"So, what's your plan"?
Divorced now. Happy!

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16151 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
I also would recommend against this response, which I used some time ago....

Wife: I had an accident.
Me: Are you alright and how bad is the car?
Wife: I'm OK and I think the car is driveable.
Me: Then drive it home and we'll talk about it later.
Wife: Really?
Me: Yep, really. When you get home you can call the body shop if you want. After all, you're on a first name basis with the owners at this point.
Wife: Click.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
two years ago my wife hit a deer while I was out of town. I get a phone call while at dinner her exact words were " I just hit a deer. I'm OK but the car has some minor damage."

My first question was how bad the damage was and could she drive it home. The next two nights I had the most frigid phone conversations I've ever had with her. I got home and she let me have for not being worried about her and yada, yada , yada. I calmly reminded her that the first thing she said was was that she was OK. Apparently that was the wrong thing to point out.

I'll never understand the emotional mind of a female.

Posts: 732 | Location: Raleigh, NC | Registered: May 15, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
here's a helpful guide

"are you ok?"
"is the car ok"
"do you need any help?"

I think maybe instead of "is the car OK?" that "can you drive home?" might be less dangerous.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
quote:
here's a helpful guide

"are you ok?"
"is the car ok"
"do you need any help?"

I think maybe instead of "is the car OK?" that "can you drive home?" might be less dangerous.

flashguy

asking if she can drive home imply's you're telling her to drive it, or to make that judgment call on her own which she may or may not be willing/able to do at that exact moment. asking if the car is ok, usually will illicit more information on the nature of the accident.

posted Hide Post
As the only male in my family, I'm pretty familiar with the proper response to a traffic accident.

Posts: 17158 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
10 years later, I am still paying for my LOL when she told me she hit a PARKED car.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12356 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Try having that conversation when you are on cruise and, literally, just pulled into the Philippines that morning.

Get the email about the accident, call home.
First question she has (after confirming she was not injured) "can you come home?" My sixth cruise mind you and all while she and I were married.

After I stopped laughing I said "no, the squadron is having a party tonight and I don't think the hotel will refund my room."

We're divorced (and our kids do not talk to her nor have they invited her to their individual weddings

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14046 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post