SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cooks and Kitchen Nuts - Recommend a Really Good Garlic Press
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cooks and Kitchen Nuts - Recommend a Really Good Garlic Press Login/Join 
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted
Just like it says. Works, doesn't suck, cleans up, etc.

Thanks all.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
The chefs and kitchen nuts that I know use a microplane instead of a garlic press, when they don't feel like mincing garlic with a knife.

https://www.amazon.com/Micropl...Grater/dp/B00004S7V8

Like a press, it's faster and produces a finer consistency and stronger taste than knife mincing. But a microplane is easier to clean than a garlic press, and it also serves multiple roles in the kitchen as a fine shredder/grater/zester, rather than being relegated to just one task like a garlic press and collecting dust the rest of the time.

Or if you don't mind having a one-use tool, looks like Microplane even offers a garlic-specific setup: https://www.microplane.com/garlic-mincer-red

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
I have a really good one, but I don't remember where I got it, or when (but it has been at least 30 years). The only idenfifying marks on it are: "xyliss swiss made pat. pending" Google turns up a lot of links, but the only one that looks like mine is on e-bay for an exorbitant price for what it is.

One tip I have that may help redeem this post is that after pressing the garlic, run a pat or two of ice-cold butter through it. This will clean out the garlic-clogged holes and crevices and make cleaning it much easier.

Posts: 6454 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I really like the OXO Softworks Garlic Press. The clove basket articulates making cleaning a snap.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16184 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000...HX/?tag=cb-472803-20

This is the one I have. I'm very happy with it. It's very robust and I just pick out the scrap under the running faucet and toss it in the dishwasher. The grate swings out to make it easier. The handles are very comfy, too.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17269 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I think my wife has the OXO bald1 mentioned. Or something very much like it. But, I think, half the time she just puts the garlic on a cutting board, lays the flat of a large knife on it, gives it a sharp smack with the palm of her hand, then minces it up.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Back, and
to the left
Picture of 83v45magna
posted Hide Post
I have had one of these for about 25 years. Super easy to keep clean and it cannot rust. It's pretty tough to mess up:

The one in the link is revised, newer version but it is very close. The little cleaner/scraper thing now stores in between the handles. So the only tender part on the whole thing gets a bit more protection. On mine it snaps into the head witht he little cleaner nibs facing out. I never saw Pampered Chef make a change that wasn't for the better.

Posts: 7250 | Location: Dallas | Registered: August 04, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
I just mince it with a knife.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53121 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Or if you don't mind having a one-use tool, looks like Microplane even offers a garlic-specific setup:

Wow! Another excellent tip; thank you.

I love garlic, but hate preparing it for cooking. We have a press and a microplane, but that looks so much easier and faster to use without the risk of planing bits of skin into the mix.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
TBH, I never understood these. Smash n chop with a curved blade.

Or slice thin with a razor blade. So thin, it’ll melt when cooking the sauce. Razz

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

Posts: 14034 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flesheatingvirus:

This is the one I have. I'm very happy with it. It's very robust and I just pick out the scrap under the running faucet and toss it in the dishwasher. The grate swings out to make it easier. The handles are very comfy, too.

This is the best one I have used and I have tried a lot.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by maladat:
quote:

This is the best one I have used and I have tried a lot.

Same. The Zyliss that architect referenced is another good one if you can find them used.

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
Wow! Thanks everyone!

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12768 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Gold standard of garlic presses.

Microplanes are another excellent option

The side of your chefs knife is the original option.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Wow! Another excellent tip; thank you.

I love garlic, but hate preparing it for cooking. We have a press and a microplane, but that looks so much easier and faster to use without the risk of planing bits of skin into the mix.

If you get one to try, let me know how you like it.

I wasn't even aware it was a thing until I was Googling for a photo of someone microplaning garlic, and saw they now offered that garlic-specific setup.

Posts: 32492 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by corsair:
The side of your chefs knife is the original option.

That's what I do ~90% of the time.

Squash with the flat of the Nakiri or Chef's Knife blade, then give it a quick rough mince.

I only break out the microplane when I'm extra serious about getting the full power garlic flavor, like in a garlic-centric sauce.

semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
Both of my BILs are chefs, neither owns a garlic press. They do like I do and smash a clove and mince it with a knife.

One of them uses chopped garlic in a bag from SYSCO-but he feeds a large retired community home and time is of the essence. The other owns (shameless plug) Postero in Hendersonville NC, and everything is done by hand and is exquisite.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cogito Ergo Sum
posted Hide Post
Once I used a microplane I was sold on it for garlic and ginger.

Posts: 5693 | Registered: August 01, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
I was going to take a picture of mine, but then noticed this one on Amazon.

Not exactly the same, but same principle. Plastic cylinder, about 1" diameter, piston that is driven by turning the threaded rod, forces the garlic through a perforated disk. I like it better than the vise-grip types. Disassembles in seconds for easy cleaning.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30643 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ice age heat wave,
cant complain.
Picture of MikeGLI
posted Hide Post
ART-What's the objective? Uniformity, non-garlic fingers, cleanliness?

NRA Life Member
Steak: Rare. Coffee: Black. Bourbon: Neat.

Posts: 9683 | Location: Orlando, Florida | Registered: July 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post