SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Freezing grapes....
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Freezing grapes.... Login/Join 
Picture of konata88
posted
I've frozen grapes before - come out great and makes the season last longer. But usually just the green grapes - they are pretty tough.

There's a hybrid that I love - Thomconcord. They taste like concord or kyoho (Japan) grapes except they are smaller in size and the skin is edible (not meant to be peeled). They are on the delicate side. Kind of like champagne grapes.

If I want to freeze these grapes, do you guys recommend freezing them still attached to the stem? Or remove the grapes from the stem first? Seems like they would last longer if attached but not sure how well they would freeze.

Anybody freeze smaller, delicate grapes?

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Ice Cream Man
posted Hide Post
I freeze regular grapes on the stem to use as ice cubes in cocktails…

Posts: 5745 | Location: Republic of Ice Cream, Miami Beach, FL | Registered: May 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've frozen red grapes to use as a cooling treat during the summer . Kids seem to like them .

Posts: 4066 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I've never heard of Thomcord grames, but I'd like to try them. Concords are my favorite but they are never found here as table grapes. Do you know what store chains carry them?

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by selogic:
I've frozen red grapes to use as a cooling treat during the summer . Kids seem to like them .

This^!!!

Posts: 4066 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I had frozen grapes once.

I sat on this metal bench when it was really cold, wearing gym shorts ...

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I had frozen grapes once.

I sat on this metal bench when it was really cold, wearing gym shorts ...

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16250 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flashguy:
I've never heard of Thomcord grames, but I'd like to try them. Concords are my favorite but they are never found here as table grapes. Do you know what store chains carry them?

flashguy

Not really sure. I really only patronize 1-2 supermarkets around here & Costco. So not really even sure how prevalent they are locally. Sounds like they were developed out here; not sure if other states grow them. I assumed they were common but perhaps not.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomcord

Freezing on the stem seems to work and likely best. I’ve frozen a few batches. Hopefully last me to next summer if I ration it over winter.

"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12747 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
grapes except they are smaller in size and the skin is edible (not meant to be peeled)

Never heard of peeling a grape before.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25435 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I don’t do it. But I’ve seen many people peel or pop the grape out of the skin. Basically not eat the skin. Concord, kyoho and the Korean equivalent.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
For a good time, chill or freeze grapes in dry ice. Leave them over night. In the morning you'll have a delightful fizzy treat.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29722 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I don’t do it. But I’ve seen many people peel or pop the grape out of the skin. Basically not eat the skin. Concord, kyoho and the Korean equivalent.
IMHO, the skin is the best part of a Concord grape. It has the strongest flavor.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I’m not sure it’s the best part but it’s certainly edible and I think healthy.

I hope you find the grapes. I think you’ll like them. Great flavor and the seeds actually add a nice texture. Hard to describe. Champagne grapes taste good but are tedious to eat. These are wonderful.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
Not sure I want to post this after Para's comment ... but I love snacking on frozen grapes of all kinds.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Call me

Posts: 107685 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
When did this turn into a dating site?

Posts: 6501 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Paddle your
own canoe
Picture of BigWhup
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
When did this turn into a dating site?

LMFAO!!!!!!!

Posts: 1553 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: August 06, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
My quest for frozen grapes has soured.

Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Call me

Blondie song... ? Oh goodness, this too does not sound right.

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
I washed individual grapes and put them in a freezer bag. I thought they would freeze hard as a rock but they were still eatable.

Aldi's has great prices on grapes so this is a great way to save without them going bad. Thanks

Posts: 11828 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post