SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    window air conditioners, do you have one that you love?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

window air conditioners, do you have one that you love? Login/Join 
posted
I purchased a Danby brand @ the local farm store,
what a p.o.s., $230.00 w/ extended warranty.
going back tomorrow.
p.i.t.a.

So I am looking ,
my window is 38.25 inches wide.

someone tell me about your great window air conditioner

thanks in advance

This message has been edited. Last edited by: bendable,

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Gosh, the story didn't turn out like I expected. I thought you were going to tell us that your Denby was worth ten of any other window air conditioner.

But that's not what happened. Drag

I blame the farm store for shattering your dreams.

Posts: 107617 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
I purchased a Denby brand @ the local farm store,
what a p.o.s., $230.00 w/ extended warranty.
going back tomorrow.
p.i.t.a.

So I am looking ,
my window is 38.25 inches wide.

someone tell me about your great window air conditioner

tahnks in advance

How many BTU are you looking for ??? God Bless Smile

"Always legally conceal carry. At the right place and time, one person can make a positive difference."

Posts: 3069 | Location: Sector 001 | Registered: October 30, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Unishot
posted Hide Post
I have always heard that Friedrich was the best by quite a wide margin.

www.friedrich.com

Insert your favorite gun-related witticism here!

Posts: 653 | Location: TX | Registered: March 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Haier that I paid 75 bucks for. It will rocket you to the Arctic in nothing flat. Even has a remote. 5 years old and still going strong.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16098 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
“Denby” sounds like a good brand name. Frown

Posts: 26913 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bendable misspelled it. It is Danby. Looks like the discount brand from Dollar General or the farm store. Probably ok for the henhouse.

Posts: 17240 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Big Stack
posted Hide Post
This. If I needed a window unit, they'd be the first brand I'd look at.

quote:
Originally posted by Unishot:
I have always heard that Friedrich was the best by quite a wide margin.

www.friedrich.com

Posts: 21240 | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Honky Lips
Picture of FenderBender
posted Hide Post
personally I prefer the portable units, over the in window units.

Posts: 8150 | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vote the
BASTIDS OUT!
Picture of yanici
posted Hide Post
I have four Panasonic window units, each is about twenty years old. All still run great and not noisy like most window shakers. Too bad they don't sell these anymore.

John

"Building a wall will violate the rights of millions of illegals." [Nancy Pelosi]

Posts: 2409 | Location: N.E. Massachusetts | Registered: June 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob at the Beach
posted Hide Post
There is a chart somewhere that explains BTU’s for room air conditioners. Essentially it deals with how many window you have, are the windows facing the sun, how tall are the ceilings and room size.
If you get one too small it is always running. If it’s to big it leaves humidity. Find size (dimensions) in the btu’s you need. I don’t think brand is as important as getting the correct one for your space.

Posts: 1473 | Location: Boardwalk, Va Beach | Registered: March 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
If it’s a Danby, did the guy going to Australia stick his finger in it?

Sorry bendable, had to.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
go to Costco and look.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19191 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sorry I was remiss,
6000 b.t.u.
should do the trick,
144 sq ft bd rm.

Danby is correct

I see Emerson has one that they profess to be quiet, will look at that today ,
will wait for a wonderful story from you folks , until friday , anyway.

"go to Costco and look.
'
that was my first choice , they had'em last year
but neither the coralville store or the Davenport store has them currently , and none on order.

( we have had summer heat here for 600 years and no one at Costco thought to themselves, Gee maybe an air conditioner or three would sell )
Roll Eyes

"I have four Panasonic window units, each is about twenty years old. All still run great and not noisy like most window shakers. Too bad they don't sell these anymore." by yanici

its a crying forking shame that NO ONE sells anything that well made any more !

the unit that finally died ( after 24 years) was a Fedders brand , I picked it off of the curb, it lasted 6 years with me !

Posts: 54651 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Gosh, the story didn't turn out like I expected. I thought you were going to tell us that your Denby was worth ten of any other window air conditioner.

But that's not what happened. Drag

I blame the farm store for shattering your dreams.

Here's the thing with $300.00 window air conditioners.

not one of the three sales acssociate's that I have talked too , knew
any damn thing about anything on their store shelves.

I guess its just a lot easier to get returns back to the store , than offer any amount of product knowledge.

brick and mortar upper management at its finest , NOT! Mad

every day that I am well enough to roll out of the rack , I thank those watching over me that I was born , when I was.

Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Danby is a really low end brand, IIRC

To be honest I had decent results with the couple of Haiers we had before we moved to a house with central AC.

Posts: 33817 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That is my spot.
posted Hide Post
Until I can afford something else, this is what our 900 sq foot house uses- window heat/ air. It is pretty open and faces the river so we use windows and the screen doors a lot.

A GE lasted us 10 years but really did not cool the bedroom and bathroom that are on the other end of the house. We currently have a Frigidaire (not a great brand but it was all I could find that had heat and was in stock the JULY that the GE gave out.) It was $650 at Lowes and has a thermostat that is decent- not great. But it has a fan only mode as well as one that will just keep the fan running and kick the condenser on as the thermostat indicates-this is the mode we run at night during the summer. Again though, only works with open doors and fans directing the air...

I had never heard of Friedrich but am intrigued/ interested now. I assumed I'd end up with a split unit set up at some point- we need to add a bathroom and bedroom and was going to do it all at once.... Looks like the closest "dealer" is $250 miles away and nothing can be done online. Boo.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Ben Franklin

Posts: 2110 | Location: Rural Tallahassee, FL | Registered: October 26, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I cannot imagine anybody "loving" a window air conditioner. Tolerating, maybe. Loving? No.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
in eastern Iowa in july with 97 degree / 96% humidity ,
it may not be "love" but there is a genuine fondness , for sure
for the contraption that makes you comfortable.

the only good news about this whole deal is that , I set the old 45 pound unit next to the curb at the end of the drive way and someone stopped and threw it in his trunk,

so no, paying the recycle or dump fee for me
( woo hoo)

Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
I cannot imagine anybody "loving" a window air conditioner. Tolerating, maybe. Loving? No.

I love mine. It's a cheapo 6k btu unit from Wal-Mart that I bought 2 years ago when my central unit died in the middle of a 100 degree summer so I could keep at least one room in the house tolerable. It did that job admirably, and since then I've kept it in a bedroom window. I like to sleep cold, so I can keep my bedroom in the low 60s overnight and not run the air to the rest of the house while I don't need it.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3515 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post