SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Teenager sucking up internet bandwidth, help with router settings?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Teenager sucking up internet bandwidth, help with router settings? Login/Join 
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
The OP mentioned that his hard-wired TV has streaming issues while the Son is online and playing.

It may not be WiFi related in this instance.

Posts: 13064 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
You may need an app, but your ASUS device has the ability to track bandwidth in real-time. If he really is sucking up all the bandwidth all the time that he's there, I'd find out what else he is doing to cause that to happen. I'm not going to guess what that could be, but it's not just gaming and FaceTime.

If he's not using all the bandwidth, then you can start looking at your network.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici
Picture of ChuckFinley
posted Hide Post
if you have a guest channel set up turning that off can help reduce competition and "uninvited" guests that may be tagging on without you realizing.

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It may be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience." -- C.S. Lewis

Posts: 5675 | Location: District 12 | Registered: June 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:
The OP mentioned that his hard-wired TV has streaming issues while the Son is online and playing.

Good point.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
1. Facetime
2. Video Games
3. There is a third...

If he's a teenager that is.

Haha. That’s what I was thinking.

Posts: 4010 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Aeteocles:

Good point.

It would or could be if the gamer is Wi-Fi.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
It would or could be if the gamer is Wi-Fi.

When the OP asked in his first post if creating a "guest network" for gamer boy could help, I made the assumption that gamer boy was connecting via WiFi. Is there such a thing in a home wired network?

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Maybe I approached this the wrong way at my house, but I put the kids and their friends on a separate SSID and throttled that SSID to a fixed amount of bandwidth leaving the majority of our available bandwidth to my SSID (and stuff). Really easy setup. They whine occasionally about slowdowns when there are a bunch of them online, but I generally just ignore them.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
Is there such a thing in a home wired network?

It is the best way to go. Hard wire your Wi-fi access point(s) too, for best performance. My wife uses Wi-fi exclusively. Myself, every computer I use is hard wired, with the occasional exception of when I have to take the laptop to the garage, for researching a problem with a tool/machine and reading the resulting PDF files or web pages. My whole house is wired with cat5e and runs at gigabit speeds, with a wire drop in each room.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10883 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
I meant a wired "guest network". My understanding of a guest network is that it's wireless and allows its users to access the internet, but not the local area network.

I get that wired is best. I have 8 IP security cameras with an NVR and our main TV, 2 WAPs and a printer all wired. I have 2 TVs, 4 laptops, 3 iPad's, 4 smart phones, and 4 gaming devices wireless. My wireless speeds are such that every device get our full 225mbps internet. There's no bottleneck there. I'm sure if I set up a computer to computer transfer and compared the speeds wireless vs wired, wired would win, but we don't have an NAS, media server, or anything else where it would make a difference.

The OP and I have similar internet speeds, but I have 5 people to his 3 including 3 kids doing all the same things he believes his 1 kid is doing. I don't have problems streaming video wired at the main TV or wireless to the other 2 TVs, even at the same time.

Based on the OP a d further posts by seang:

1. Gamer boy is wirelessly connected to the network and not complaining.
2. seang is having trouble streaming via a wired connection whenever gamer boy is home.
3. seang is having trouble using the internet on other devices when gamer boy is home.

His conclusion was it's the gaming and FaceTime. I have 3 kids gaming, FaceTime, streaming video discord simultaneously with a similar speed internet connection as seang with no problems. It's not the gaming and FaceTime. Since gamer boy isn't complaining about lag or anything else, it's probably not the wireless or internet connections.

Several posters mentioned the possibility that gamer boy is doing more than gaming and FaceTime. That's a very real possibility.

Another poster mentioned changing the password to the WiFi router. That's a good idea and based on bigdeals' post mentioning how he limits the bandwidth to his kids' connection, I'd be looking at the WiFi router to see if gamer boy has done something in the settings to allocate the bandwidth to himself.

In short:

1. Find out how much bandwidth gamer boy is actually using. seang's WiFi router has the ability to track it realtime, but he may need an app on his phone to see it.

2. If he is using all the bandwidth, find out why. It's not the gaming and FaceTime.

3. If he isn't, check the WiFi router for settings prioritizing his activities over others. He may not have done this, but it appears seang's WiFi router is touted as a gaming WiFi router and may have come these setting preset.

These steps may not help, but I think they logically follow the information given and you have to start somewhere.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
One would think if you really want to solve the problem one could install some network monitor software and actually measure and know the source of the problem. Frown
As an alternative you could view similar statistics on the suspect machine in real time from built in tools.
PS if you can duplicate the problem you generally can solve it.

Posts: 23227 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by trapper189:
I meant a wired "guest network". My understanding of a guest network is that it's wireless and allows its users to access the internet, but not the local area network.

That's generally what a "guest network" is understood to be, and how most (?) WiFi routers and APs implement one, but it can actually be whatever the LAN/WLAN designer designs it to be.

As to a "wired guest LAN": You could accomplish it with VLANs, I suppose.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
I'd also block torrenting ports in the router while you're at it.

I bet this clears it up.

Posts: 3329 | Location: IN | Registered: January 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1s1k:
quote:
Originally posted by OttoSig:
1. Facetime
2. Video Games
3. There is a third...

If he's a teenager that is.

Haha. That’s what I was thinking.

Yeah but all at the same time....? haha

Posts: 6400 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
If it was me I would approach the problem the old fashion way.
I would tell him to figure out how to use less bandwidth or lose his computer.
Of course I have been told I'm too old fashion in dealing with kids.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4247 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post