SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A Non-Typical Thursday Evening at Casa NHTag
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A Non-Typical Thursday Evening at Casa NHTag Login/Join 
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted
Well last night was exciting.

About 810 I was taking Bandit out for her evening squirt and patrol of the property – she does that. I stay in my chair. As soon as she got outside, she started growling so I thought I had an owl or a hawk on my cabana frame. Turn the flashlight on and lo and behold, there is some guy climbing the fence into my pool. I drew my pistol just in case. He was a Hispanic male, mid to late 30’s, shaved head, hoodie and shorts.

While I had him blinded with my flashlight I called 911 and within about 2 minutes I had a helicopter overhead and four cruisers pull up.
The officers surrounded him – three inside my pool fence and one just out of his view in the back. I kept my light on him. He was fumbling with his phone and rambling incoherently. Not particularly stable on his feet either. He was standing on top of the rock waterfall and swaying back and forth. He would not comply with the officers requests.

After about 15 minutes of his shouting obscenities and refusals, the guy decided to jump into my pool. And I just had changed the water. And then one of the officers says the magic words “don’t reach for that gun” – so of course the first thing that comes to my mind is that they’re going to ventilate him in my brand new pool and now I’m going to have to change the water again.
Eventually, after much cursing and splashing around he crawls to the side where he is grabbed and cuffed.

What we found in the pool was ‘interesting’. He had a gun – a six shot revolver. Also had a spring loaded knife, and over $1000 of cash is now floating around in the water. Something I didn’t know. Money doesn’t float. It quickly sinks to the bottom. Also a few packets of other stuff.

So the officers are busy hauling him to a cruiser, I helped the officers retrieve all the cash from the pool – that took almost 20 minutes because the bills started to stick to the bottom. Also helped get the gun and the knife.

The packets turned out to be heroin, two small cases full of fentanyl and a chapstick container of what appeared to be meth. Looking out at the pool this morning, we left a few things behind so I’m calling the local Sheriff’s office and have someone come out and see if the additional evidence is something they want to collect or if I can dispose of it. It can go with the case but he can’t be charged for any of these items because they weren’t collected contemporaneously.

Also walked my property perimeter, found where he came into my yard and where he crossed the fence and was looking to see if he dropped anything else.

Turns out he was a convicted felon, six previous felony arrests including drug dealing, armed robbery, car theft and attempted murder. So he’s a prohibited person and carrying the drugs is another felony, and carrying a gun is a felony, but drugs and a gun – he goes back to prison. Does not pass go.

Two things I learned. And they were important. When calling 911, put the phone on speaker so your hands are free. I can hold my flashlight and shoot at the same time, but not while holding a phone. Second thing is that when you’re holding someone at gunpoint, bring a bigger gun. While the 9mm is easy to carry, the 45 would have made me feel better.

Posts: 53215 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
WOW. Glad it worked out and he didn't try you or the Police

Posts: 5342 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
Yeah, dang. That certainly had the potential to escalate to a much more undesirable situation. Bummer about the pool though.

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30420 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Twist
posted Hide Post
Way more eventful than my Thursday. Think I'd rather stick to the boredom that's my life to be honest.

Glad you made it through ok!

Posts: 1931 | Location: NOT Houston, Tx (Thank God), but in the area. | Registered: May 18, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Three things, always have a fur pet, preferably a dog with you when you walk your property in Tuscon in the dark....

Without Bandit, an evening stroll might have been worse, the dog knew there was a problem long before you....

Be sure to give Bandit a steak... Glad you are ok.

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
Yeah, I dang sure hope that was non- typical. Glad it worked out like as well as it did. Glad you had both a flashlight and a gun. Something tells me the 9 was plenty of gun because you know how to use it.

Posts: 13293 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
I hope I don't sound like a complete idiot.... Does heroin dissolve? Could it have contaminated your pool?

I know the answer to pollution is dilution, and can't imagine having enough qty to hurt anyone, but, can it?

Are there any special steps to ensure it is safe for your family?

Chlorine would kill off any cooties, just not sure about drugs.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I was told not to swim in the pool until I had it shocked. Less worried about the heroin than I am the fentanyl. I have a few calls out right now to get answers but I can’t do anything until the rest of the evidence is removed from the pool.

Posts: 53215 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Would you like
a sandwich?
Picture of Dreamerx4
posted Hide Post
Fentanyl is much more of a concern.

Would your homeowners insurance help with something like this?

Can't imagine you getting anything from the turnip.

Posts: 1044 | Location: Virginia | Registered: October 29, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
Sooo, does Bandit prefer steak, cheesburgers, or bacon-cheeseburgers... Wink

I bet you never thought you'd need to consider a long gun as you relax by the pool, but you can't be too careful....There's DEFINITELY something to be said for 'Peace thru Superior Firepower'!

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8933 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I am going to give her some steak today

I have my Sig556 handy, but I didn't want to go back in the house and take my eyes off the guy

I carry outside at night because we've had an increase in coyote and bobcat here - I see coyotes walking across my property at all hours of the day now, not just howling at night

My Time is Yours
Picture of davetruong
posted Hide Post
Glad you are ok my friend! He's lucky you didn't ventilate him!

God, Family, Country.

Posts: 6015 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: October 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I was told not to swim in the pool until I had it shocked. Less worried about the heroin than I am the fentanyl. I have a few calls out right now to get answers but I can’t do anything until the rest of the evidence is removed from the pool.

Both fentanyl and heroin are water soluble. You could have the pool water tested by the cops. If the guy dropped a few baggies I doubt it would be enough to show up on a Nik kit.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11301 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post

Posts: 23525 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Two things I learned. And they were important. When calling 911, put the phone on speaker so your hands are free. I can hold my flashlight and shoot at the same time, but not while holding a phone. Second thing is that when you’re holding someone at gunpoint, bring a bigger gun. While the 9mm is easy to carry, the 45 would have made me feel better.

I can understand and learn from both of those things. But I'm even worse off most of the time with a little .380 just because it's light and easy to carry. Still, if I'm at home the .45 is near and that would make me feel better too.

I'm just glad it turned out the way it did.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24157 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Told cops where to go for over 29 years…
Picture of 911Boss
posted Hide Post
Damn, that is crazy. Any idea why he picked your yard to go through?

What part of "...Shall not be infringed" don't you understand???

Posts: 10948 | Location: Western WA state for just a few more years... | Registered: February 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eschew Obfuscation
posted Hide Post
Glad to hear things worked out ok.

quote:
Originally posted by nhtagmember:
I am going to give her some steak today

+100% Good dog!!

“Civilization is not inherited; it has to be learned and earned by each generation anew; if the transmission should be interrupted for one century, civilization would die, and we should be savages again." - Will Durant

Posts: 6421 | Location: Chicago, IL | Registered: December 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 911Boss:
Damn, that is crazy. Any idea why he picked your yard to go through?

Maybe, when the neighbor's dog ran him out of their yard, he shit himself and just wanted to rinse off in nhtagmember's pool. Maybe.

I'd change the water.

Blessed be the Lord, my Rock

Posts: 15906 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
Jesus, man. That's an exciting evening, to be sure. Glad it wasn't any more exciting than that, though. Do you have a weapon mounted light? If not, this encounter makes a strong argument for one. Could have had him illuminated, and at gunpoint with one hand while you worked the phone with the other.

My wife thinks I'm nuts for toting around a pistol with a light on it around the house, and then I read stuff like this.

Posts: 17189 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Its also a good reason to get a set of BT ear pieces and wear at least one, you can use the BT set to place a call and not fumble with the phone.

I"m thinking it's time to update the back lights of mi casa and get some cameras up...