SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    A few Hurricane Michael pics
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

A few Hurricane Michael pics Login/Join 
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted
Been meaning to post some pics for a while now. Wife and kids started sleeping in the house early Jan '20. Me and the cats moved into the house first week of Feb '20. We were down to studs inside. Once the mold set in - that was all she wrote.

It's something to see the inside of your house (furniture and all) in a pile in your front yard. We lost a bunch of stuff.

Rick

Texting.......easier than calling.

Posts: 1367 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
After the 10 years of "Opal-Emily" from '95-2005, your pain is well known to your "neighbors".

My cousins lost their house over in PC.

It is a long and very difficult part of life, from the time of the storm to the navigation through the total of recovery, dealing with the time, and red tape of the "systems" you paid to help you through such things.

Ironic, the insurance company commercials don't address all of the places where they leave people's backsides exposed, who pay their companies way to prosperity.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43906 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
I'm assuming you got the date wrong? Or I'm misunderstanding?

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yeah looks familiar. Camille and Katrina here with Elena, Frederic and a few others in between. There are still slabs from 2005 and some from 1969.
It is hard no question, but we recover albeit slowly.

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:

No. We were in a 32' travel trailer in the driveway for 15 months. me, wife, kids (16 daughter and 18 son who had to share a bedroom), and two cats.

Posts: 1367 | Location: P.C., FL - the emerald coast | Registered: September 15, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIC.45:
quote:

No. We were in a 32' travel trailer in the driveway for 15 months. me, wife, kids (16 daughter and 18 son who had to share a bedroom), and two cats.

I'm sorry to hear about what happened to you. That is the worst fear of anyone facing a hurricane coming. Losing your house and most of your stuff is heart braking. Are they rebuilding your house? How was your insurance company to deal with? Did they make you whole or did it take a whole lot of back and forth?

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Wow Rick, that is terrible. You have my prayers. I hope you guys are on the mend and make a full recovery.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19196 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RIC.45:
quote:

Now I understand, thank you. My God that is terrible.

Posts: 13682 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How far from the ocean do you have to be , to be out of reach from that amount of damage ?

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54658 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
How far from the ocean do you have to be , to be out of reach from that amount of damage ?

^^^^^^
Damage from the winds can extend hundreds of miles inland from spun off tornadoes as welll as the winds. Damage from the hurricane surge is limited to the immediate coastal area. The surge with Katrina was 28 feet and extended quite a ways inland. The NHC has stats on all the hurricanes on its website.

Posts: 17249 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Back in the late unpleasantness of 2004 central FL got hit with 3 of these Charley, Frances and Jeanne, damage like that occurs, lots of roof damage, trees down, power out and if something fails like the garage door did, the house really suffers once integrity is breached, so to answer, the coastal areas generally get hit hardest, but you can still get damage as the storm moves in, mostly winds, some tornado damage, downbursts or microbursts are common

It becomes a storm within a storm.

Sorry about your having to deal with that, lucky everyone is ok, what's amazing about nature is you look at all the damage and then you see a row of bottles, unmoved from a counter top, a glass front cabinet with doors intact and contents unmoved, Soap containers still on the shelf, charcoal bags unmoved.

It's weird what gets moved around and what doesn't

Posts: 23489 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sig sailor
posted Hide Post
RIC45 so sorry, that is terrible! It can get very cold in Michigan and we get some nasty weather, but we get nothing that causes that kind of damage. Tornadoes can cause some real damage, but we get very few.
Rod

"Do not approach a bull from the front, a horse from the rear, or a fool from any direction." John Deacon, Author

I asked myself if I was crazy, and we all said no.

Posts: 1689 | Location: Between Rock & Hard Place (Pontiac & Detroit) | Registered: December 22, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:
Back in the late unpleasantness of 2004 central FL got hit with 3 of these Charley, Frances and Jeanne,

I think that's around when building codes changed to be more stringent, correct?

Now there is a lot of bracing to try to keep the home attached to the slab.

Posts: 13130 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Dang it man. I can't imagine how challenging this was and is for you all. Were you home for the storm or did you evacuate?

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Averaging 6.3
posts per year
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the thought and prayers. It's been a test to be sure. Fortunately, we have good insurance (replacement cost) and what we've paid over the years - it's been worth it.

Stillwater (out of Jax)...as far as the agency has been good. Our first desk adjuster was a PITA. We had to appraisers come thru and they landed on 82k but they did send checks for the entire amount instead of 50%. Prior to the 2d guy - we had signed a bid for 108k. When desk guy asked why we didn't try to get CG to come down - I explained to him the concept of supply and demand, what lack of workers does for the workers wages and that if we hadn't signed, we wouldn't have found another GC (they were/are still) that many people with severe damage. After desk guy jerking me around for a couple weeks I ended up calling his boss and exploding all over him. He called me back an hour or so later and said "We'll cover the 108k". No lawyer yet makes me happy.

We still have the outside to do (wasn't on the original bid) - some vinyl siding repair and of course the soffit/fascia (which has been repaired just not covered yet) and the patio cover. Wife has already talked to Ins regarding cover so they're expecting that. Don't know if they're expecting siding. Shouldn't be more than 2-2.5k for the siding I'm guessing.

So if you're looking to change - might give them a call and see what they can do. I've also heard a bunch of good things about Tower Hill.

Yes we evac'd. When they started talking Cat 3 Son and I rounded up the cats got in the cars and headed to the in-laws in Florala which is 2 hrs to the NW of us. Wife and daughter went over the day before.

Rick