SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What do we know about pottery kilns? Update Page 2: We bought one and it works!
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do we know about pottery kilns? Update Page 2: We bought one and it works! Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
RIP Fawn Liebowitz.

That's all I know about Kilns.

“What the government is good at is collecting taxes, taking away your freedoms and killing people. It’s not good at much else.” —Author Tom Clancy

Posts: 8359 | Location: Attempting to keep the noise down around Midway Airport | Registered: February 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Rolling a kiln out to use is feasible. Probably won’t appease the insurance people. A few things to remember - It will put out some pretty serious heat. The firebricks are soft/fragile. You don’t want the kiln to get caught in the rain.

The rolling out is obviously a plus for using it. I would work along the idea of something on soft, air filled tires because the bricks are that fragile. Breaking one with your bare hands is rather easy.

Buying one I would be shopping used ones. At the same time, knowing how fragile they are, look inside for broken bricks. They can be replaced and cutting them is within your ability, but I wouldn’t pay much for a kiln where I had to replace a number of them.

Posts: 2132 | Location: south central Pennsylvania | Registered: November 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Blackmore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CPD SIG:
RIP Fawn Liebowitz.

Beat!

Truth: The New Hate Speech

Posts: 3455 | Location: W. Central NH | Registered: October 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Objectively Reasonable
Picture of DennisM
posted Hide Post
quote:
RIP Fawn Liebowitz.

Epic! Now if she could just arrange some dates for my friends...

Posts: 2469 | Registered: January 01, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DennisM:
quote:
RIP Fawn Liebowitz.

Epic! Now if she could just arrange some dates for my friends...

Only if you allow others to dance wiff em.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14039 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I use an Evenheat for heat treatments for knives.

High carbon steel requires 1500°F, while stainless steel requires 2000°F.

It has a solid state controller that can do complex “recipes” (coming from the pottery world naturally), but that complexity is not needed and knife making. What is required is precise temperature control. Much better than a coke/gas forge.

240v, 13 amps.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I wanted to report back with the resolution. My wife ended up finding a used kiln on facebook marketplace, and we bought it. It's an older Duncan, but in good shape (no broken bricks and the coils are still all in their recesses), and came with a bunch of accessories like a rolling cart, a wide variety of cones, shelves, an electric thermocouple to monitor the temperature, and a variety of glazes. We paid $500 for it all, but probably got close to $250 worth of extras, so it wasn't a bad deal.

I had to wire the garage for 220, which meant replacing the main service entrance panel and rewiring it back to the meter. I tried to find somebody to do it, and couldn't get on anybody's schedule after 2 months, so I ended up doing it myself. It's a huge pain to find 200 amp panels right now, and wire is ruinously expensive. Ultimately I had to go with a huge 40 breaker panel, because that was all I could find locally, but I guess it gives me room to expand (way more than I'll ever need, but I guess it's better than too little). Thankfully it was a short run, and I managed to get it done without electrocuting myself or setting the house on fire.

The weather was nice yesterday and today, so we did a test fire of the Kiln in the driveway yesterday and it worked great. Got up to cone 5 in about 2 hours, and then spent the rest of the day cooling off. She fired it again today to do a bisque fire of all the pottery she's been collecting for the past 3 months, and once again it worked really well. A couple had some small cracks, but nothing shattered or exploded, and the cone setter worked as designed. It was definitely nice to have the thermocouple to be able to monitor the temps in real time as well. Looks like the next step will be glazing.

Thanks everybody for your input. This project was a bit involved, but it's done, and wife is happy, so I'm happy! Smile

Posts: 8617 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stop Talking, Start Doing
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a great deal! Glad it’s working out.

Just be careful — my mom got into working with glass as a hobby and, 20 years later, she now has a collection of kilns to her name .. including a couple of those huge coffin kilns. She loves it .. and she makes incredible stuff.

It all started with her asking my dad to get her a baby kiln to “just play around with” Big Grin.

Posts: 5075 | Location: The (R)ight side of Washington State | Registered: August 31, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
Second firing of the kiln yesterday, first one was a bisque fire, and this time was for glaze, so it was our first time seeing her finished product. She left it to cool all night, so I peeked inside when I got home from work this morning. Seems to have worked, and it didn't even run and make a mess. I'm pretty impressed with what she's accomplished so far!

Posts: 8617 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Optimistic Cynic
Picture of architect
posted Hide Post
Have you tried it out to melt lead for casting boolits yet?

Posts: 6501 | Location: NoVA | Registered: July 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Partial dichotomy
posted Hide Post
Very happy for you guys and that you could get it all set up for her! Great work! Both of you!

SIGforum: For all your needs!
Imagine our influence if every gun owner in America was an NRA member! Click the box>>>

Posts: 38700 | Location: SC Lowcountry/Cape Cod | Registered: November 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by architect:
Have you tried it out to melt lead for casting boolits yet?

Lol, no, and I don't think she'd appreciate it. This thing gets a lot hotter than what I'd need for that anyway, and I already have a pot for that.

I was tempted to drop a piece of an old sawzall blade in there that I was making into a front sight blade for my 03a3. I had it all cut to spec, but was having a heck of a time drilling the pin hole. Was tearing up bits left and right. I though maybe heating it up in there would remove the temper and make it easier to drill, but I finally managed to get through it with a cobalt bit before she was ready to do another firing.