SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Cataract surgery, What to expect?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Cataract surgery, What to expect? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
both eyes, a week apart, no issues.

Posts: 2217 | Registered: October 17, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by airbubba:
both eyes, a week apart
Dang, you must have a really big head

Big Grin

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0024224?r=6970024224

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...0039144?r=8320039144

Posts: 107640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
quote:
Originally posted by mcrimm:
quote:
Originally posted by Gustofer:
If you don't mind my asking mcrimm, who did your surgery?

Aaron Alme, MD at Glacier Eye Clinic. Highly recommended. Another very good doc there is Roger Barth, MD. I trust either with my eyes.

Thanks. I've known both Barth and Remington at Glacier for years and they are good. Haven't heard of the other fella though. I'm looking at likely needing to get my cataracts taken care of this summer so a first hand report is appreciated.

Envy you both for still having long established relationships. My longtime doc (Bob Nixon) at Black Hills Eye Institute retired a couple years back. His replacement, Adam Jorgensen, has been great thus far and will no doubt be the one who will do the cataract surgery on me. I see him the end of April and suspect we'll both agree that it is time.

https://www.lasikrapidcity.com...-doctors-rapid-city/

FWIW, after my optometrist referred me, Dr. Prema Abraham, the Institute Director, helped me when my eyes developed some unsavory issues that were ultimately tied to extremely high amounts of mutated blood cells back in 2014. The eye symptoms along with a lower abdomen pain (enlargement of the spleen) quickly led to a leukemia diagnosis and chemo.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1flynDO:
I do the anesthesia for these which is not much. 5-15 min total per eye. Email me if you have questions

I had my right eye don't last May. That was good drugs no problem at all.

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Cynic
Picture of charlie12
posted Hide Post
I had might right eye done last May. My girlfriend had both hers done the last of 2020. Mine was a VA referral so the VA paid for me to go to the same Dr. as her.
That has to be the easiest surgery you can have. No problems at all. Our Dr. was Thomas Stuckey III and he does the Dropless Cataract Surgery so we had no drops after surgery. We didn't even have any discomfort afterwards

Posts: 13021 | Location: Pride, Louisiana | Registered: August 14, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Anyone have Advanced Bladeless Laser-Assisted Surgery?

Anyone besides charlie12 have Dropless Surgery?

Can they be combined?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16231 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post

I had all the standard stuff that was insurance covered (scalpel). The surgeon had a genuine light touch. I had both eyes done about 3 years ago, in prep for my required MVD eye exam (AZ requires it every 5 years once you reach age 65).

Now 3 years hence, my correction has changed a bit from what it was shortly after the surgery. When you get new glasses, don't go hog wild with several pair (reading, shooting/computer, sunglasses, etc), because your correction will likely change some over the first year or two. At least that was my experience.

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of papaac
posted Hide Post
I had mine done in 2010. I developed fluid in both eyes much later, but the surgeon took care of it; about 3 minutes per eye with a local only.

"Among a people generally corrupt, liberty cannot long exist." Edmund Burke

Posts: 4974 | Location: Houston, Texas | Registered: August 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
When you get new glasses, don't go hog wild with several pair (reading, shooting/computer, sunglasses, etc), because your correction will likely change some over the first year or two.
That sounds like very good advice.

Posts: 107640 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
quote:
Originally posted by henryaz:
When you get new glasses, don't go hog wild with several pair (reading, shooting/computer, sunglasses, etc), because your correction will likely change some over the first year or two.
That sounds like very good advice.

Arrived at from personal experience. I am now replacing all those glasses with my new prescription. Wink

When in doubt, mumble

Posts: 10788 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I had my eyes done when I was in my 40s from using a steroid topical medicine for psoriasis on my scalp.

The optometrist that I went to thinking I needed a new prescription because I couldn't tell 3s from 8s on the computer screen declared after closer examination that I had cataracts. I kepts saying her settings weren't clear for me.

The first doctor I went to said my cataracts hadn't progressed far enough to merit surgery and they would have to do only one at a time and the corrective lens was only going to be so good but I'd still need glasses.

I got another reference who understood my situation. She operated on both eyes about one week or two weeks apart. Afterwards, I was able to discern the leaves in the branches of distant trees whereas before they were just fuzzy greens to me. I was very near sighted before the operation.

If you have astigmatism and the doctor offers corrective lens for that, I would take it. I didn't and still have to pay for glasses whereas my wife, when she had her operation, opted for the astigmatism correction. It's a good investment that gives you a good return as you don't have to pay for glasses anymore.

Biggest things are: don't lift any weights or heavy objects until after the period the doctor says so. Find ourself a nice haridresser who can give you a hwir shampoo and rinse. I wasn't allowed to take a shower to keep water out of my eyes.

It pretty much is routine now. Not even done in a hospital but in some clinic.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19678 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truth Seeker
Picture of StorminNormin
posted Hide Post
I haven’t had it but my mom had both eyes done. Very easy surgery and life changing it what she said. New vivid colors and great vision. Be prepared for a litany of eye drops before (I believe) and after.

Right before surgery and they tell you “this eye drop will sting” yup, it is gonna STING.

NRA Benefactor Life Member

Posts: 8668 | Location: The Lone Star State | Registered: July 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't mean to be the Devil's advocate, but my surgery did not go smoothly.....at least on my first eye done. My cornea reacted with "something" during the surgery and post-op I could barely see the big "E" on the eye chart if I held it close. It slowly cleared up, but it took nearly 5 years to clear completely.

I did have my other eye done, and it went quite smoothly. All surgery has risks, and it is not a "Mall procedure".

Posts: 6625 | Location: Az | Registered: May 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just had mine done.

It is kind of scary how long it is taking my vision to come in.

I had toric lenses that are both multi-focal and correct some astigmatism.

The first eye took a full month to get to 20/25 and I am really happy with it.

My second is slowly also coming back but it has been 3 weeks and not there yet and not as clear as my first eye at the same time after the surgery.

My wife could see fine in two days on both her surgeries but she had mono lenses.

I needed to have it, I was beginning to have trouble driving at night and things were just getting more and more cloudy in general.

I put it off as long as I could to get better technology.

The lenses I had put in have been out for years but my research was saying not to get until about 18 months ago.

If this works out I should be able to see to drive and actually read without glasses.

Something that I have not been able to do my whole life.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Over thinking this, but I want no regrets. Told the optometrist that I wanted distance lenses in both eyes, as I am used to wearing reading glasses.

But the more I think about it, should I get different lens for my right eye for gun sights? I will talk to the doc about it, but if he's not a gun guy?

"Once abolish the God, and the Government becomes the God." --- G.K. Chesterton

Posts: 3856 | Location: WNY | Registered: April 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Find a gun guy. Lots of eye doctors shoot, they just do not advertise.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wreckdiver:
Over thinking this, but I want no regrets. Told the optometrist that I wanted distance lenses in both eyes, as I am used to wearing reading glasses.

But the more I think about it, should I get different lens for my right eye for gun sights? I will talk to the doc about it, but if he's not a gun guy?

I got Rezoom Multifocal IOL lenses and I'm 100% happy with them. Shooting is not an issue. Just like normal eyes, you need to focus on something, and with shooting it's front sight and other things are a bit fuzzy. I can read fairly small print and seeing far is not an issue. It did take a couple of months to settle in on the mid distance but it did work it self out. I wear dime store readers when I read books etc. But no big deal.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I went with distant vision correction for both eyes. This covers my needs for most of my waking hours, great for walking around, driving, flying, etc.

Supplementary glasses for desk work and reading.

For shooting, you're going to use protective glasses, so you can get them with the sight-distance correction for your whichever eye you use for the sights.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30698 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
quote:

If you are considering this, do a trial run with contact lenses.

Posts: 2939 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flow first,
power later.
posted Hide Post
I had cataract surgery about a year ago, and I went with light adjustable lenses. It was a pain (had to wear UV blocking glasses for about 5 weeks after surgery), but it was the most amazing experience overall. Went from astigmatism and sub-capsular cataracts to 20/15 vision. They tuned out the astigmatism and focused my vision after the lenses were in my eye and healed.

Posts: 672 | Location: Tampa | Registered: September 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post