SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gift idea for a dying mom...
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gift idea for a dying mom... Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
My mom got hit with lung cancer and stage 4 brain cancer. Her health is declining, but she sounds good. My parents live out of state, and have asked to isolate themselves from outside virus, germs, etc. Meaning no Chrismas holiday for possibly the last time. I haven't seen them since she was first diagnosed in September.

I'm trying to think of a fitting gift. I thoughr about a voice recorder, but I'm not sure how'd she take it. She has a very finicky diet, so any food items are out of the question. Maybe just a very nice bouquet of flowers and aromatherapy oils? They are in the process of downsizing, so they don't need or want any material items.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Smith

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
How about a picture frame that you can email photos to from your phone. I use skylight with my mom to send her pics of the grandkids

simple setup for most, you might even be able to ship it to and set up ahead of time, i dont recall on that

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5135 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Is there someplace that your mom has always wanted to visit, but never got the chance?

During the height of the COVID pandemic, a whole subindustry of "virtual tours" sprang up. Tour guides who normally gave in-person tours of cities/attractions started doing virtual sessions where they'd be hired to videoconference/FaceTime with a tourist and give them a livestreamed virtual walking tour of the area. That allowed the tour companies to still make money and remain solvent, while the "tourists" were able to see the sights while watching on a computer or TV screen from their homes, since they couldn't travel in person due to international COVID restrictions.

While most tour companies have probably gone back to offering in-person tours, I'm sure you could find one that's able to accommodate a livestreamed virtual walking tour for your mother, given the circumstances.

Paying for a virtual tour of Venice or London or whatever could allow her to get a live tour of that place she wanted to visit, even though she won't be able to make it in person.

Posts: 32553 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
Perhaps some books where she can write down her memories and life history? They also sell books with prompts in them, such as 'first date', 'wedding' etc.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4931 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Like Timdogg6 above suggested

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09X...GEAAYASAAEgL4Q_D_BwE

WI-FI frame that you, or anyone you let, can send photos too of the family/grandkids ect for them to see.

Posts: 1153 | Location: western, Washington | Registered: November 04, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
A tablet of some sort, a constant stream of e-mail pictures and videos that she can go through the library time and again viewing the pictures that mean the most to her.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1324 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
AURA FRAME

These are great. We gave access to our family, they can add pictures and short video clips. We get a notification when they add something.

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
My older sister (just slipping into the 'memory care' arena for sure) knew Big Changes in her life were near. She asked to be taken on a nice country drive. Late summer, ideal low density farm traffic on back roads, and we managed to find absolutely smashing hidden ice cream cone stand.

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
How about a Facebook portal, can “facetime” download pictures etc. my stroke semi paralyzed mnlaw has one.. https://www.smarthome.news/how...ortal-ultimate-guide

Posts: 2310 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
So very sorry to read your post about your mom’s declining health, Smith. Even more sorry you won’t be able to see her.
T

Posts: 13301 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
Time, with you of course, can you visit?

There isn't a tangible item that she will care about at this point.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6344 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Call her every day and tell her how much you love her!

Posts: 968 | Location: Mason, Ohio | Registered: September 16, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know it’s old school. But what about a book or two of pictures through the years of the family.

There are four of us siblings. And each one did one for Dad. When alert could look at them. Also when you call can talk about and recall the times in the pictures.

Easy to move if need be between places.

Will keep your family in my prayers

Posts: 186 | Location: The Lovely State of Illinois | Registered: November 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Animis Opibusque Parati
posted Hide Post
Ipad. I watched my mother laugh and smile watching YouTube videos on her iPad while dealing with cancer and chemo. The ease of using it never introduced any stress for her. The simple interface just allowed her to consume the streaming content with no hassles.

"Prepared in mind and resources"

Posts: 1353 | Location: SC | Registered: October 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rinehart
posted Hide Post
I had a similar situation with my Mom some years ago. She presented Stage 4 non-small cell lung cancer.

Her birthday was coming up and I wanted to give her something special. Here’s what I did-

I went through all of our family pictures and scrapbooks found all of the one-only and special photos and late at night I would scan and clean up pictures in photoshop. I put out the word among the family if they had a picture of her (and it turned out to be a number) where they had the only copy- I offered to scan them if they couldn’t or else they could scan and forward a copy to me.
I also took all of the old 8mm and other films and converted them to digital format.

It took me a good bit of work, but I then collated of the pictures (did this on a Mac because all of the transitions, music were all there in Photos, but there are plenty of apps that will do the same). I did them in a chronological order along with music transitions included with the now-digital movies. We got all of the family and her friends together and sat her in the most comfortable seat and watched all of this on a big screen television. Everyone there got the scanned photos and videos on a thumb drive. Those who couldn’t make it also got their copy.
It was very moving and she enjoyed it very much.
She had it on her television where she could watch it when she wanted.
I suppose you could do this on Facebook if you wanted.

If you want to do a more compact gift find out what photo means the most to her and scan it, clean it up in PS, print it and put it in a nice frame.

Posts: 1507 | Location: PA | Registered: March 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lighthouse Keeper
posted Hide Post
I’m sorry you are going through this, and sorrier still that your mom is going through it.

To answer your question… lately I’ve wondered about the legacy I will leave with my own children and grandchildren, and maybe even those who follow beyond that. I like many of the other gifts that have been suggested, but if there was some way that she knew she’d be remembered through the years after she’s gone, maybe it would mean something more to her. Pics of her and you and your family during good times, or even just in moments that were meaningful? Ask the kids to find their favorite pics of her to give her in an album or digital frame, but let her know others chose those pics and have their own versions. Just a little different thought on the matter.

Posts: 840 | Location: America's High-Five | Registered: December 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Aura frames are a great idea. What about a comfy cashmere blanket.

Posts: 187 | Registered: December 27, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Now Serving 7.62
Picture of 10X-Shooter
posted Hide Post
When my mom was hit with strokes and vascular dementia she had to be put in a nursing home. It took quite awhile for her to accept it. She was there almost 2 years before she passed. So sorry to hear about your mom. I did an electronic frames (similar to what someone else did) and did a photo collage that changed photos and video clips. Also made custom blankets through Walmart I believe, decent quality blankets, with pictures of the grandchildren on the blanket. She was able to enjoy food so we did that too. Here is a link to the woven tapestry type blanket we did for her.

https://photos3.walmart.com/ca...blankets?size=woven#

Posts: 6018 | Location: TN | Registered: February 12, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
We got my mom a Facebook Portal, it was the best. We would all (kids, grandkids, stepkids, wives etc) facebook messenger once a week at a set time for a video chat. She loved it. Further, anyone can call and say hi anytime. Hold the new pup or baby up in front of it or point it towards the work you've been doing to fix the front porch so she is connected and can see it live on video.

Because they kept us out of the hospice during covid, we build a mini bleacher with logs and boards outside of her window and would open the window and visit.

Time... is the best you can give. She'll clue you in if she needs anything you can plunk a buck down and get for her. We built her her dream house before it went bad, she wanted for nothing financial that money could buy. Time...that's it: and in my experience, you will still not be sure that's enough when it's over and the dust and ashes have settled. Just try and do your best and accept your own limitations. One thing I really appreciated is how the family all stepped up and pitched in.

Best regards and luck.....

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A lot of nice suggestions listed above.......here is my 2 cents. Put pen to paper and let her know what she means to you and others. Provide her with some wonderful memories that may have been forgotten about. Remind her how thankful you are for her and what she has taught/provided to you that you are thankful for.

IMO this is something people don't do enough these days and is something that she can take with her when her time here complete. A lot of things I wish I could have said before my father's passing and never got the chance to due to illness. Something like this costs nothing and means more than any amount of money spent on material items. Simple things have the potential of providing the most happiness. Good luck with your decision, best wishes to you and your family.

Posts: 55 | Location: Port Huron, Michigan | Registered: August 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post