SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Opinions on Foxfire book series and a question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Opinions on Foxfire book series and a question Login/Join 
Picture of OttoSig
posted
1. My google search led me to this "foxfire" series. I remember reading before about a helpful series that I remembered as Firefly series but maybe I'm off. So this is the fairly popular series right? Did my google search work?

2. Assuming I'm onto the right series, do you have any experience? Is the series worth buying? I've bought books before and had a lot of them be very beginner level. "How to start a fire" or "How to skin a rabbit". SO before I spend 200$ on these books, what was your opinion or them?

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Do No Harm,
Do Know Harm
posted Hide Post
It’s been a decade or two, but as I remember they are more “general” in knowledge. If you’re really looking for a good “how-to” with comprehensive instructions, they may not be the best option.

Knowing what one is talking about is widely admired but not strictly required here.

Although sometimes distracting, there is often a certain entertainment value to this easy standard.
-JALLEN

"All I need is a WAR ON DRUGS reference and I got myself a police thread BINGO." -jljones

Posts: 11448 | Location: NC | Registered: August 16, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chongosuerte:
It’s been a decade or two, but as I remember they are more “general” in knowledge. If you’re really looking for a good “how-to” with comprehensive instructions, they may not be the best option.

As a teen I read most of the Foxfire series available then.

It was perfect for 13 yo me, because I knew very little of the series' content.

Today, it is general knowledge not how-to.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31436 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As I remember the series started as a college project to record the folklore and lifestyle of the previous generations in Appalachia. The students would interview older people to learn how they lived through the hard times of the depression. Lots of interesting stories and good information but not meant as a technical how to manual. They covered many topics like cooking,food preservation, clothing, and everyday life. There were some chapters on hunting and gunsmithing.

Posts: 59 | Registered: July 11, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
What are you wanting to accomplish or learn?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of OttoSig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
What are you wanting to accomplish or learn?

Just a good baseline in storage. I know a fair amount so I want something in reserves that exceeds my known knowledge. Seems simple but is a random place to land.

11 years to retirement! Just waiting!

Posts: 6318 | Location: Maryland | Registered: August 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
So dry food storage? Just trying to understand what knowledge you seek specifically in order to possibly help you out.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19186 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Washing machine whisperer
Picture of Appliance Brad
posted Hide Post
The Foxfire books are probably worth having in any collection on self sufficiency. They are not complete How To guides but rather a collection of history and knowledge.

If you want details on a specific area, there are certainly lots more complete sources of information on any subject in the world of preparedness.

As ORC asked, what knowledge are you looking for?

Posts: 11222 | Location: below the palm tree line of Michigan | Registered: September 17, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post