SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    California man sentenced to 20 years in fatal 'swatting'
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

California man sentenced to 20 years in fatal 'swatting' Login/Join 
posted
It's about damn time one of these idiots got some real punishment. It's just too bad someone had to die first.

From the article:

WICHITA, Kan. — A California man was sentenced Friday to 20 years in prison for making bogus emergency calls to authorities across the U.S., including one that led police to fatally shoot a Kansas man following a dispute between two online players over $1.50 bet in the Call of Duty: WWII video game.

U.S. District Judge Eric Melgren sentenced Tyler R. Barriss, 26, under a deal in which he pleaded guilty in November to a total of 51 federal charges related to fake calls and threats. The plea agreement called for a sentence of at least 20 years — well over the 10 years recommended under sentencing guidelines. Prosecutors believe it is the longest prison sentence ever imposed for the practice of "swatting," a form of retaliation in which someone reports a false emergency to get authorities, particularly a SWAT team, to descend on an address.

Melgren said the case went into "uncharted legal territory," that the law has not caught up with technology and the charges didn't address the severity of what happened.

The 2017 death of 28-year-old Andrew Finch drew national attention to swatting. But Barriss had made dozens of such calls before that and was "known as the guy on Twitter that is good at this," his attorney, Richard Federico, said.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news...r-BBVn019?li=BBnbfcL

------------------------------
"They who would give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin

"So this is how liberty dies; with thunderous applause."
- Senator Amidala (Star Wars III: Revenge of the Sith)

Posts: 1494 | Location: Southwest Ohio | Registered: October 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
But Barriss had made dozens of such calls before that and was "known as the guy on Twitter that is good at this," his attorney, Richard Federico, said.

Not many can say they are really good at something.

Congrats on receiving your door prize.

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16709 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
It's murder-by-proxy. The fact that it is done in conjunction with online gaming, or the fact that police are used does not excuse or ameliorate the underlying crime or intent.

But, curiously:

quote:
Originally posted by RichN:
But Barriss had made dozens of such calls before that and was "known as the guy on Twitter that is good at this," his attorney, Richard Federico, said.

Why would you say this about your client? I can see the prosecuting US Attorney saying that about the defendant, but not the defendant's own defense attorney.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I would be okay if he doesn’t serve his whole sentence.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12734 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
He will get his own SWATTING when they burst into his cell for unannouced searches. Standard protocol in most facilities when contraband is suspected. Hope he enjoys the suspense.

Posts: 17250 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I would be okay if he doesn’t Survive serve his whole sentence.

The butcher with the sharpest knife has the warmest heart.

Posts: 13404 | Location: Bottom of Lake Washington | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Laugh or Die
posted Hide Post
I don't understand why he wasn't charged with murder like when you commit a crime with a buddy and he's killed, they charge the survivors with the murder.

Posts: 10202 | Location: NC | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I would be okay if he doesn’t serve his whole sentence.

I want him to serve his entire sentence with zero days off for "good behavior" or similar rewards, then, after being released, as he heads to the bus to town, he is run over by five SWAT team MRAPs heading to a real hostage situation.

That would be both irony and justice.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31455 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post