SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    How reliable is the Yamaha Wolverine? Should I buy the warranty extension?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How reliable is the Yamaha Wolverine? Should I buy the warranty extension? Login/Join 
Picture of moose201
posted
Just bought a Wolverine X2 which comes with a six month warranty on parts and labor. Yamaha offers an additional 4.5 years on parts & labor with zero deductible....the dealer quoted me a price of $1,100. (The transmission belt already comes with a 10 year warranty.) There is no mileage limit but I don’t expect to put a ton of miles on it. I usually don’t buy extended warranties but based on your experience with your Wolverine, is this a sensible deal?

Posts: 265 | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
IMO, look for an out of state Yamaha dealer offering a mail order extended warranty price. You could save hundreds.

Honda offers such deals, perhaps Yamaha, too.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of moose201
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by GWbiker:
IMO, look for an out of state Yamaha dealer offering a mail order extended warranty price. You could save hundreds.

Honda offers such deals, perhaps Yamaha, too.

Wow, dealers even sell them on eBay. Thanks for the tip!

Posts: 265 | Registered: March 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ridewv
posted Hide Post
Generally I would not but I'm going through the same decision with my 2017 Honda VFR1200x (motorcycle), and as GWbiker mentioned I am pricing the extended warranty from various On-line Honda dealers for the best price before making my decision. There are Yamaha dealers discounting Yamaha's extended warranty as well, such as https://www.yamahapartsnation.com/yamahayesplans Keep in mind it doesn't matter what Yamaha dealer you buy it from it's honored at all, including your, Yamaha dealers in the US. So once you actually know what you can buy the factory extended warranty for, come to a decision.
One factor I'm taking in to account is that I often sell motorcycles within a 2-3 years and the factory extended warranty is transferable which helps me get top dollar when I go to sell.

No car is as much fun to drive, as any motorcycle is to ride.

Posts: 7261 | Location: Northern WV | Registered: January 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d pass. Never needed a warranty on my past Yamaha motocross and sport bikes, nor Wave Runner.

For an off-road bike / vehicle, you’ll likely need to replace what you damage or wear. I personally never had a problem with a defective part.

Posts: 481 | Registered: June 24, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just picked up an X4 se in November. Been debating the same thing. I know I won't pay anywhere near a grand. I may look for a cheaper deal and then decide. All of the Yamaha's I have owned have been pretty dependable. If you take care of it, change fluids regularly, it should be fine. If I find a deal of like three/four hundred I probably will. I will check where my brother got his extended warranty for his from. I will talk to him about it Friday and let you know. I think it's from Arkansas somewhere.

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I bought a set of JBS firewall covers for it. Nilight lights from Amazon are cheap and work good. Join the wolverine forum, a lot of good information there also..... But now where near like here...lol

Posts: 1913 | Location: U.P. of michigan | Registered: March 02, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Extended warranties are actually insurance policies, calculated on the incidence of failure of the vehicle. As such, they are sold at a profit. Overall, that model will average less in repair costs (to Yamaha) than you pay for the warranty. There are exceptions, but they are few enough to keep the average cost down. I rarely buy an extended warranty. Matter of fact, the only one I ever bought was on a Harley, cause I know so little about them.

Posts: 17253 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In past years, I bought two extended warranties on motorcycles.

First was Honda Care for the Gold Wing - $440 for 4 years thru an on line Honda Dealer in Iowa. This warranty covered everything on the bike at any Honda motorcycle dealer, except normal wear and tear items, like tires, brake pads and battery. Fork seals and light bulbs were also covered.

Second, a four year third party extended warranty of the BMW R1200R. This rip off cost $1200 and had a list of exclusions. Fork seals was just one.

When I rode the Dyna Low Rider, Harley wanted $2100 for an extended warranty with a $50 deductible (copay) on each repair. I said, uh, no thanks.

Point is, factory extended warranty maybe worth the cash asked. Third party warranty may be way overpriced with a list of repairs not covered.

YMMV.

"Some people are alive today because it's against the law to kill them".

Posts: 8228 | Location: Arizona | Registered: August 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post