SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Woman Stolen Valor story from awhile back update
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Woman Stolen Valor story from awhile back update Login/Join 
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted
Link

Personally I think she got off easy......

Rhode Island woman who faked being a cancer-stricken Marine veteran and raked in more than $250K from well-wishers is sentenced to six years in prison after pleading guilty to scam

A con artist who raked in more than $250,000 worth of donations after lying about being a cancer-stricken Marine Corps veteran has been sentenced to nearly six years in prison.

Sarah Jane Cavanaugh claimed to have served in Iraq and Afghanistan from 2009 until 2016 during which time she developed lung cancer due to her exposure to burn pits.

She was so committed to her act she wore medals she had bought online, attended veterans' events and even asked peers at the gym to tie her shoelaces as she claimed war-related injuries to her fingers left her unable to tie them herself.

On Tuesday she was jailed for six years and ordered to repay all of the money after pleading guilty to aggravated identity theft, forged military discharge certificates, fraudulent use of military medals and four counts of wire fraud.

Veterans' groups welcomed the sentencing as they accused the 32-year-old of exploiting the 'kindness and respect shown to our nation's deserving veterans.'

"Blessed is he who when facing his own demise, thinks only of his front sight.”

Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Here she is:

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30748 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of abnmacv
posted Hide Post
Does the prison have a "boot camp" option. If so send her lying ass to it and have her daily crawl through mud, get 6 hours of sleep for three months run 5 miles a day and told "drop and give me 20 pushups" every 20 minutes. One give-away is having the stripes of an E-6. Not with her young face could she have made that much rank unless she was proving a lot of extra benefits to the battalion commander.

U.S. Army 11F4P Vietnam 69-70 NRA Life Member

Posts: 1571 | Registered: June 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Legalize the Constitution
Picture of TMats
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by abnmacv:
Does the prison have a "boot camp" option. If so send her lying ass to it and have her daily crawl through mud, get 6 hours of sleep for three months run 5 miles a day and told "drop and give me 20 pushups" every 20 minutes. One give-away is having the stripes of an E-6. Not with her young face could she have made that much rank unless she was proving a lot of extra benefits to the battalion commander.

And yet, IIRC, she was a post commander at a VFW (or Legion).

Posts: 13309 | Location: Wyoming | Registered: January 10, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
VFW. She used a doctored DD214 from a real Vet to join.

Montani Semper Liberi

Posts: 10355 | Location: Santa Rosa County | Registered: March 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
They're after my Lucky Charms!
Picture of IrishWind
posted Hide Post
Angry Cops has been on her shit for a bit. I hope to see his update in the next few days.

Lord, your ocean is so very large and my divos are so very f****d-up
Dirt Sailors Unite!

Posts: 25075 | Location: NoVa | Registered: May 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
She worked at the VA. She was able to access Veterans files to obtain the documents she needed to forged so she could apply for benefits. Mad

Montani Semper Liberi

always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
I hate ALL thieves but cretins who steal monies designated for needy veterans are the lowest of low. My degree of contempt for this bitch is unbounded.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16260 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Main Thing Is
Not To Get Excited
Picture of wishfull thinker
posted Hide Post
So staff sergeant Bint, while trying to chisel a fortune from people who have an inclination to help the wounded or injured shows up at an official function (from the Purple Heart flag behind her) with the Eagle Globe and Anchor on her lapels bass-akwards.

I'll bet even her mother hates her.

Posts: 6407 | Location: Washington | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by navyshooter:
VFW. She used a doctored DD214 from a real Vet to join.

I figured the VFW would vet applicants. It's easy enough to do, right?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19724 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
^Unfortunately, it's not hard to slip by with a few forged documents. You can just go on the internet and order a totally bogus DD-214 filled with anything your imagination desires.

One guy got into the VFW by falsely claiming to be a Viet Nam era Navy SEAL with a cobbled letter from an admiral. Was not a SEAL and was never in an actual conflict, therefore not qualified to be a Veteran of Foreign Wars.

American Legion same story, unfortunately. A guy was president of a Legion post, but had only served a little over a year in the Navy and was not honorably discharged. Not qualified to even be in the Legion, much less president of a chapter.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16401 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

never in an actual conflict, therefore not qualified to be a Veteran of Foreign Wars.
I was peace-time Navy, served during the lull between Korea and Viet Nam. So I was not in during any war, and the most "foreign" in my service time was a couple years at NAS Roosevelt Roads in Puerto Rico, U.S. territory.

I was kind of surprised to receive a completely unsolicited certificate in the mail, recognizing me as a "new member of the VFW." No idea where they got my name, address, etc.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30748 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Low Speed, High Drag
Picture of navyshooter
posted Hide Post
All you need is an Expeditionary Medal. I was eligible to join after receiving an Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal for participating in Operation Earnest Will missions in the 80's

Montani Semper Liberi

I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
I was kind of surprised to receive a completely unsolicited certificate in the mail, recognizing me as a "new member of the VFW." No idea where they got my name, address, etc.

That's my fault. I tried signing you up for spam, not SPAM, and I guess it somehow ended up at the VFW.

Actually, I don't believe I have ever been in one, or an American Legion or whatever that's called. I'm eligible, though.

Posts: 13148 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
I simply don’t understand stolen valor. Beyond the fact that you are an asshole, you are going to get caught. It’s not like there is some huge upside gain from this. It’s gotta be a mental issue.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7698 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lost
Picture of kkina
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by kkina:

never in an actual conflict, therefore not qualified to be a Veteran of Foreign Wars.
I was peace-time Navy, served during the lull between Korea and Viet Nam. So I was not in during any war, and the most "foreign" in my service time was a couple years at NAS Roosevelt Roads in Puerto Rico, U.S. territory.

That supports my comments. Obviously there's not a lot of backround checking to get in.

ACCU-STRUT FOR MINI-14
"First, Eyes."

Posts: 16401 | Location: SF Bay Area | Registered: December 11, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Unfortunately, those she victimized will probably never get a cent of the money she's supposed to return. In most of these cases, the offender doesn't have any assets to liquidate and they'll claim they're incapable of paying off their debt to those they stole from. We don't have "debtors' prisons" and the courts rarely do anything to insure these conditions of probation (which end when probation is terminated) are actually enforced. Attachment of wages is a civil action that must be done by those she stole from. Frown

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10214 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post