SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Any love here for Vostok watches
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any love here for Vostok watches Login/Join 
Picture of bigdeal
posted
I was just reading about the history of this brand, and found it very interesting. Since I'm an enormous fan of nostalgic things, these watches have peaked my interest. I know they're not the most refined or even accurate watches out there (no need to bash), but they seem kinda fun and a great conversation piece.

Anyone have a Vostok and would like to share thoughts and impressions about owning one.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of side_shot
posted Hide Post
be careful the dems might think your colluding with the Russians lol kidding aside when it comes to watches if it makes you happy get it

"They that can give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
--Benjamin Franklin, 1759--

Special Edition - Reverse TT 229ST.Sig Logo'd CTC Grips., Bedair guide rod

Posts: 1245 | Location: New Hampshire "Live Free or Die"  | Registered: September 02, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the wrong side of
the Mobius strip
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
I saw some listings for Russian watches recently.

From an Amazon listing.
quote:

. Watch of official supplier of the Defense Department of the Soviet Union

. Mechanical VOSTOK hand-winding movement 2414A with 17 ruby jewels. Totally wound movement run not less than 36 hrs.

Please note, when reading this listing, the details played in my head with a Russian accent.
Smile

Link

Posts: 4127 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Vostok

I had a 24H version for several years, it just didn't make it on my wrist often. That particular just looked and felt very thin and cheaply made, I wasn't feeling it.

Mechanically it was fine.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12415 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've looked at a bunch of them and I'll probably pick up an Amphibia one of these days. Watchuseek has a forum section dedicated to them and other regional brands:
https://forums.watchuseek.com/f10/

Meranom seems to be the go-to site to buy them; they often have special, limited edition versions too: https://meranom.com/en/

Posts: 68 | Location: MD | Registered: May 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
I have a Soviet Amphibian my FIL gave me, it works but I need to find a new band for it.

Their new offerings tend towards the "BIG" manly watch....a bit too much for me.

I can't speak towards their current quality.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I have two of the finely crafted timepieces. The top was a given to me in a karma years ago. I replaced the leather band, which deteriorated rapidly (I sweats freely) with a NATO nylon band I had on hand. I kind of like these watches and the lower one was cheap enough (I think around $50).

They keep reasonably good time. Not as good as a Seiko, but good enough to keep me from being late to dinner. And the lume is pitiful.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Although this one is a bit modded (face and bezel), this is the model and design that tickles my fancy. It reminds me a lot of a watch my grandfather wore when I was a little kid. Again, my thing with watches is more quirky and nostalgic than high tech and pricey.

Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
That’s a nice looking watch.

Posts: 26904 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
Sorry not buying any Russian anything...

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:

Not even a wife?

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4618 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
quote:
Originally posted by valkyrie1:

Not even a wife?
The watch is cheaper... Razz Now back to the topic of the thread. Smile

Picture of valkyrie1
posted Hide Post
lol,maybe a Ukrainian wife!!!

Posts: 2306 | Location: Florida | Registered: March 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
I love my Amphibia, got it from Amazon. It keeps good time. The crown seems very flimsy though, only thing I don't like about it. I did like the look of some of the Komandirskie more but passed because from I could find out they were plated brass. Amphibia is supposed to be stainless steel

Posts: 5318 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post