SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Eye doctor convinced me to go with progressives
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Eye doctor convinced me to go with progressives Login/Join 
Stupid
Allergy
Picture of dry-fly
posted Hide Post
I need progressives, but just cannot adjust. I tried for a couple of weeks… nearly crashed my car. Eek

"Attack life, it's going to kill you anyway." Steve McQueen...

Posts: 6997 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: July 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Be patient, do not switch back and forth with your old glasses (your brain needs to be trained in on these new lenses), follow your nose, and buy the best progressive lenses you can afford (in the case of good, better, best, don’t do good). That will give you the widest lateral range of vision, and more vertical room for your eyes to transition between near and far as you require it.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5292 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
SIGforum Official
Eye Doc
Picture of bcereuss
posted Hide Post
That’s correct.⤴️

Posts: 2932 | Location: (Occupied) Northern Minnesota | Registered: June 24, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
I've used progressives for 10+ years now.

I won't have any other lenses.

I have them move the prescription up on one lens to level with the sights on my pistol.

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34101 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
It depends on your level of vision deficiency and what you need to look at the most. I tried some c. 2006. I got used to everything looking like a house of mirrors after about a week, about which I was told beforehand. The problem I had was that much of my work requires looking up at close objects. I can't, for example, tilt my head back far enough when it is already half wedged between a frame and fuel tank, or under a dashboard. Since my only real vision problem is with objects closer than ~12-14 inches, I gave up and went to cheap readers from the dollar store … and continually misplace or break them. This is not to say they won't work for you.

Posts: 27910 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
Be patient, do not switch back and forth with your old glasses (your brain needs to be trained in on these new lenses), follow your nose, and buy the best progressive lenses you can afford (in the case of good, better, best, don’t do good). That will give you the widest lateral range of vision, and more vertical room for your eyes to transition between near and far as you require it.

This is my issue. I’m trying the progressives but only when not at work. At work I am still using my nonprogressives in the event someone punches me. Lol

I guess I should just buy a cheap pair of progressives for work. But zenni won’t accept my progressives prescription. Oakley did.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 8006 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Brad ,
That's what I call an epiphany.

Bonnie has sworn by the use of progressive lenses for fifteen years.
And then there is me.

No one has ever convinced me ,
I couldn't achieve success for all the tripping and dizziness.

But you young man
Have offered a perspective that has me interested in progressive lenses.
Thanks

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54589 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
So much already posted that I can relate to. I've been wearing progressives for about 10 years. My first pair had such a small sweet spot I couldn't read the computer screen without turning my head back and forth. I'd get maybe two or three words in focus and nothing else. A different optometrist made me happy with a pair. I just got a new prescription and couldn't wear my new glasses for more than 10 minutes. Looking around my office everything was going in and out of focus. The optometrist made several adjustments to the frames and made them world's better. The progressive sunglasses though...not so good for driving. I turn my head to check for oncoming traffic before making a turn and things get all blurry again because my eyes are looking out the sides of the lenses.

Posts: 3445 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
I wear progressives… But I’ve changed to what they call work safe, grind pattern on the lens… It allows me to see medium and very close up without having to look through the bottom of my lenses. Not so good for distance, but I don’t need glasses for distance.

Works great for reading, pistol sights as well as up close and detailed work.

Looks similar to what someone posted earlier for a computer classes grind.

I would never go back to a regular, linear progression.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dry-fly:
I need progressives, but just cannot adjust. I tried for a couple of weeks… nearly crashed my car. Eek

Similar to my experiences and my wife's were even worse. We could not adapt to them.

We went with Monovision that was recommended to us by our Optometrist. Best thing we ever did. No problems reading anything from close up to distance, no tripping over curbs, nothing. And it's also substantially cheaper than progressives.

We've both been doing it for around 30 years at this point, perhaps a bit more.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
One last comment on this: be honest with your optician. If you/normally slouch, when they measure, slouch. If you intend to use them for one thing more than you use it for anything else, let them know. Then they can maximize your benefit i.e. (for example, similar measurements to a computer lens) but depending on what you mostly use them for. So if you play violin maybe you want a dedicated pair, or maybe they’ll set you up with a multi focal that tends towards a near distance. TALK to them. Most just say “I want to use them for everything”, and don’t mention their hobbies or that they intend to work all day on a computer. These tidbits help an O.D./optician help you!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5292 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by irreverent:
One last comment on this: be honest with your optician. If you/normally slouch, when they measure, slouch. If you intend to use them for one thing more than you use it for anything else, let them know. Then they can maximize your benefit i.e. (for example, similar measurements to a computer lens) but depending on what you mostly use them for. So if you play violin maybe you want a dedicated pair, or maybe they’ll set you up with a multi focal that tends towards a near distance. TALK to them. Most just say “I want to use them for everything”, and don’t mention their hobbies or that they intend to work all day on a computer. These tidbits help an O.D./optician help you!

This is great advice.

This is how I got to the grind that I used today.

I held my hands from my face in the two critical distances I need to see at, and explained to the doctor what I needed for performance and he said no problem.

As a competitive shooter, certain things work and others don’t. As a knifemaker when doing stuff like file-work, I need to be able to see within a few inches.

He whipped out a piece of paper to demo the pattern for me, explaining what the issues were and I’m all set now.

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recommend Progressives with the best lens available. I found them to be essilor varilux. Ise a reputable optician, imo. I requested my optician to find a lens with the largest reading area. Expensive but worth it. Frames are silhouettes which are very light. My glasses are so natural feeling so that it’s almost like no glasses at all except I can see clearly. If you don’t like them after a day or two take them back and try again.

Posts: 77 | Registered: April 24, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
They said there’s no downside to progressives

I found that what happened was that, no matter what I wanted to look at, only a fairly thin horizontal strip of glass surface had it in focus.

I generally want a fairly big area in focus, so I never did that again. It was a particular pain for me trying to look through a camera viewfinder, but it was also annoying 24x7. That said, if I did a lot of spaghetti inspection in a factory where they stored it horizontally, it would have been no problem. Wink

I'm picky though. For example, I let my optician exactly how high up the lens I want the near/far bifocal line (one height for everyday glasses, a lower height for driving glasses so that everything above the dashboard instruments uses the distance prescription.)

Posts: 15020 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Different strokes ..

Posts: 4040 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Trifocals worked for me for years. I loved them. Tried progressives and the narrowed vision drove me nuts. Middle lens was for computer distance and front sights.

Reading part of lenses at bottom was largest available. Middle and bottom lenses were oriented a little higher than normal. My work was reading and computer intense.

I recently had cataract surgery and chose the far sighted option requiring readers for up close.

I miss the tri-focals.

Posts: 1606 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: April 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by BigSwede:
quote:
Eye doctor convinced me to go with progressive

Thought you were talking about car insurance
oops. Added the s. Big Grin

Now I thought you moved over to the dark side Big Grin

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4827 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Bifocals once.

Progressives forever.

0:01

Posts: 4205 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
come and take it
posted Hide Post
Took me a couple of days to get used to them and then I adusted. You do need a good Optician to measure and quality Lab to make them correctly.

I have a few SIGs.

Posts: 1887 | Location: Texan north of the Red River | Registered: November 05, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Anyone not happy with progressives? This will be my first pair of multi focal lenses.
The first pair I got they goofed on the line where the pupil is and I had to tip my head down to read street signs out of the very top of the lens. Didn’t go further than around the block before taking them back and saying “Something isn’t right here.” They redid the lenses correctly and I’ve never looked back. No issues, no problems, wear them all the time.

Posts: 6906 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post