SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Windows 10 you suck, why can I never install programs??
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Windows 10 you suck, why can I never install programs?? Login/Join 
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted
Windows 10 you suck terribly.
Every freaking program I purchase I am always unable to install it. I always get some sort of installation error. I run it by right clicking run as administarator and still get the errors.
It never fails, I always have to end up calling customer support and they have to use team viewer to take over my computer and change a whole bunch of things for it to install.
I have no profiles on the computer. Why can't I just double click the install file and it install?

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
What software are you talking about? I upgraded all my laptops last year and I don't think I've installed anything except Norton Security since then, which gave me no trouble. All my programs that I use regularly were installed before the upgrade.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No Compromise
posted Hide Post
What are your computer hardware specs?

What programs are you trying to install?

Have you checked for updates/upgrades for Win10, and your applications?

Exactly, what are the errors you are getting?

What is the air-speed velocity of an unladen swallow?

Well, maybe not that last one.

H&K-Guy

Posts: 3720 | Registered: April 08, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
Starting about, oh, six months ago or so, my employer (at the time) started upgrading everybody to MS-Win10. I refused to have anything to do with it.

Gave my colleague nothing but grief from Day 1. Including occasionally refusing to install or run software for no apparent reason.

He disliked MS-Win when he came on board. He hated it after a few months dealing with it in a business environment. He utterly detests it after MS-Win 10.

One of the benefits of retiring is I'll likely never have to touch an MS-Win PC again Smile

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of henryaz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
One of the benefits of retiring is I'll likely never have to touch an MS-Win PC again Smile

That was a benefit I acquired in 2007, and never looked back. My wife runs Windows, but she is capable enough to take care of her own, or otherwise sell in on eBay.

Posts: 10786 | Location: South Congress AZ | Registered: May 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I don't understand.

I have a mature desktop PC and an almost-as-old laptop. Both upgraded to Win10. Both do everything fine.

What am I doing wrong?

Posts: 1351 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Quit staring at my wife's Butt
Picture of XLT
posted Hide Post
I don't really think it's windows 10 but something else causing these errors, I load lots of different programs on mine and haven't experienced these issue. Knock on wood Smile

Posts: 5596 | Registered: February 09, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Who knows? I have encountered problems with software that is not compatible with the latest Windows updates. I also run into compatibility issues with certain sites that will not run Google Chrome and must use Internet Explorer. Maybe it is the LEO software.

Posts: 17238 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I have an AMD8 I think 2.5ghz Quadcore
16 gigs of RAM

The programs I tried to install were

Adobe Photoshop Elements. Been a while so I don't recall the error but had to call Adobe they remoted into my machine and had to do a bunch of wackadoo stuff to get it to load.

Adobe ActiveX plugin never gave me an error always said install was successful for the webpage I was trying to use for a P2P camera viewer for Amcrest would always tell me I had to download and install even after the install successful icon popped up.
Amcrest had to remote in and do a bunch of wackadoo things in both internet explorer and Firefox settings.
Same with their proprietary ip camera software.

And most currently with Milestone Xprotect Essentials+
I get some error about the IIS package can not be unpackaged automatically and must be manually installed before installation.
I have no clue what an IIS package is. Have not had a chance to call tech support on this yet.

I miss the days of just double clicking the installer and it just installing.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25423 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lunasee
posted Hide Post
Where are you trying to install them. Try installing them in the .x86 directory.

Posts: 527 | Location: Hillsboro, OR | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
probably a good thing
I don't have a cut
posted Hide Post
I've read that the Adobe Photoshop Elements 15 from the Microsoft Store has had installation issues but that was an Adobe problem, not a Microsoft problem.

I have only ever installed a free Backgammon game from the store. That's my only experience with the UWP apps that are in the store.

Posts: 3383 | Location: Tampa, FL | Registered: February 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Yeah, it is always the OS's fault that third party vendors can't build a program correctly. Roll Eyes

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
Black - I can appreciate the frustration. I have to agree with the others that it isn't a Windows 10 issue, but an Adobe issue.

quote:
Originally posted by smschulz:
Yeah, it is always the OS's fault that third party vendors can't build a program correctly. Roll Eyes

Last year Adobe really ticked me off... My daughter (a 3rd year college student) had to install some of their software. Her laptop has a 256G SSD that has the OS and a regular hard drive for her programs and data. Adobe's install program would NOT install on any drive other than C. It made assumptions on where the temporary files reside and there was no way to change the behavior. After running into the issue, she contacted their support (which was less than helpful) I Googled the issue and found that it had been a well known issue for more than 2 years.

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:
I have an AMD8 I think 2.5ghz Quadcore
16 gigs of RAM

The programs I tried to install were

Adobe Photoshop Elements. Been a while so I don't recall the error but had to call Adobe they remoted into my machine and had to do a bunch of wackadoo stuff to get it to load.

Adobe ActiveX plugin never gave me an error always said install was successful for the webpage I was trying to use for a P2P camera viewer for Amcrest would always tell me I had to download and install even after the install successful icon popped up.
Amcrest had to remote in and do a bunch of wackadoo things in both internet explorer and Firefox settings.
Same with their proprietary ip camera software.

And most currently with Milestone Xprotect Essentials+
I get some error about the IIS package can not be unpackaged automatically and must be manually installed before installation.
I have no clue what an IIS package is. Have not had a chance to call tech support on this yet.

I miss the days of just double clicking the installer and it just installing.

What, you think you're running a Mac???

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ShouldBFishin
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Black92LX:

Internet Information Services (IIS) is MS's web server. It usually is not installed by default when you install the OS. It should be available via "Turn Windows features on or off".

Posts: 1802 | Location: MN | Registered: March 29, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ShouldBFishin:
Black - I can appreciate the frustration. I have to agree with the others that it isn't a Windows 10 issue, but an Adobe issue.

Except my colleague ran into similar issues with other software--including, believe-it-or-not, MS-Office, IIRC.

But, Adobe... yeah... that's another software maker I won't miss. They used to be good. Then MacroMedia happened. Downhill ever since.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
Except my colleague ran into similar issues with other software--including, believe-it-or-not, MS-Office, IIRC.

As you know the WHOLE IT world is about dealing with problems.
The origin can be literally anything.
Some make sense, some don't ~ you still have to deal with them.
I'm well past the complain and blame stage as it is pointless.
YMMV

Posts: 22909 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Because it's Microsoft.

-------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Crusty old
curmudgeon
Picture of Jimbo54
posted Hide Post
Both my PC and laptop came pre-loaded with win10 and I haven't had any issues with adding programs. I've heard of nightmares with win10 upgrades from win7, win8 and Vista but not the equipment pre-loaded with win10. It took awhile to get used to it but it has been very stable for me.

Jim

"If you can't be a good example, then you'll have to be a horrible warning" -Catherine Aird

Posts: 9791 | Location: The right side of Washington State | Registered: September 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post