SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Math Mavens - If a person wanted to learn basic Trignometry...
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Math Mavens - If a person wanted to learn basic Trignometry... Login/Join 
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted
I barely scraped through Algebra 1 in high school but that was more about lazy than stupid.

Based on a pretty weak math background, would it be reasonable to try to pick up the basics of Trig through self study?

If so, recommendations for sources of study - on line or ???

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15525 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Mutiny
posted Hide Post
Online you could try Kahn Academy. It is free and has good video tutorials and practice problems.

Posts: 481 | Location: Out West | Registered: January 14, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
Or just get a book on it.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shoulda Coulda
Oughta Woulda
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:

A book? Seriously? Ok Grandpa.
What a dinosaur. Wink

Posts: 545 | Registered: June 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ss9961:
quote:

What a dinosaur. Wink

Actually, Trig for Dummies might be a good starting place. (Betting there is such a book...)

Posts: 15525 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Redhookbklyn
posted Hide Post

Amazon

“There is love in me the likes of which you’ve never seen. There is rage in me the likes of which should never escape."
—Mary Shelley, Frankenstein

Posts: 1995 | Location: South Carolina  | Registered: January 01, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
A book, paper and pen (or pencil) is all you need.
Trigonometry itself is a self-contained module. I think it's the building block for the physics learning about forces and vectors.

What will help you learn is doing the exercises and checking your work against the answer key. Except sometimes the answer keys are wrong.

I really think you would have used it in your work in the navy and just didn't think you were doing trig. Of course, you probably had computers doing the calculating for you.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20075 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Rey HRH:
A book, paper and pen (or pencil) is all you need.
Trigonometry itself is a self-contained module. I think it's the building block for the physics learning about forces and vectors.

What will help you learn is doing the exercises and checking your work against the answer key. Except sometimes the answer keys are wrong.

I really think you would have used it in your work in the navy and just didn't think you were doing trig. Of course, you probably had computers doing the calculating for you.

I was an Electronics Tech. Nothing much beyond a little basic Algebra.

The idea behind learning some Trig is twofold:

1) There have been times recently when being able to "do the math" myself would have saved some time and

2) The brain is a muscle and needs exercise, especially as we age.

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
My son doubted my math abilities but brought this problem to me when having some trouble. I solved it quickly; it left him speechless.

If you need any help. Let me know.

Posts: 8911 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Why Trig, what's your angle?

Posts: 24339 | Location: Gunshine State | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Don't be obtuse. Razz

I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ss9961:
quote:

What a dinosaur. Wink

You've never heard of kindle? What are you, a neanderthal? Smile

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I would also advise you to get a book

trig isn't hard, and half of it is being able to visualize

some of it is just remembering some basic rules but there is more to it than just triangles

contact your local school and ask if you can borrow one of their textbooks on introductory trig and analytical geometry

that would be a good start

Posts: 53849 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
My son doubted my math abilities but brought this problem to me when having some trouble. I solved it quickly; it left him speechless.

If you need any help. Let me know.

The one math course I really enjoyed and understood thoroughly in High School was Plane Geometry. That's a 3-4-5 right triangle. Or, from our Greek friend Pythagoras, A-squared plus B-squared equals C-squared.

Or, phrased as a Dad Joke:

There was an Indian Chief, and he had three squaws. And kept them in three tee-pees. When he would come home late from hunting, he would not know which tee-pee contained which squaw.. being dark and all. He went hunting one day, and killed a hippopotamus, a bear, and a buffalo. He put the a hide from each animal into a different tee-pee, so that when he came home late.. he could feel inside the tee-pee and he would know which squaw was inside.

Well after about a year, all three squaws had children. The squaw on the bear had a baby boy, the squaw on the buffalo hide had a baby girl. But the squaw on the hippopotamus had a girl and a boy. So what is the moral of the story?

The Squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sum of the squaws of the other two hides.

St. Vitus
Dance Instructor
Picture of blueye
posted Hide Post
I think Youtube has videos that might help.

Posts: 5346 | Location: basement | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Why??? Hitting yourself in the head repeatedly with a hammer would be more fun.

Posts: 56 | Registered: January 12, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by HRK:

Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:
The Squaw on the hippopotamus is equal to the sum of the squaws of the other two hides.

Oh, that was bad... even more of a "dad joke" than mine. Smile

Savor the limelight
posted Hide Post
The worst thing about trig used to be looking up the factors in the tables I’m the back of the book. They all use calculators now.

Posts: 11697 | Location: SWFL | Registered: October 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TigerDore:
quote:
Originally posted by PHPaul:

Oh, that was bad... even more of a "dad joke" than mine. Smile

And that is literally a Dad Joke. My Dad told it to me back around 1965.