SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    iPhone 15 Pro Camera (settings/options)
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

iPhone 15 Pro Camera (settings/options) Login/Join 
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted
Hi guys. My son bricked his iPhone 12, so I'm doing the shuffle and getting a new one for me, and passing mine to him.

This 15 is sweet! I genuinely appreciate the light weight. Probably few would notice it, but as I do not use a case, this is clearly less weight in the pocket than my 13 Pro. I also wear dress slacks a lot for work, so that lightweight material really projects small changes in weight. You probably wouldn't notice it with bluejeans.

Anyway, mini-review over. I gather this camera has a lot of potential and I'm debating how to best take advantage of it.

Anyone have any thoughts on these settings, and what I should use as a default? I am not concerned over storage, and I download to my Mac often. I'm certain I'll appreciate better quality photos 20 years from now more than less storage space used. I have way more storage everywhere. But maybe there are other downsides. Thoughts, advice?

OPTION 1 -- FOCAL LENGTH. Get dramatic framing flexibility with seven pro lenses.

With iPhone 15 Pro, you have even more focal lengths to work with. You can also choose your default Main camera lens. Go to Settings > Camera > Main Camera, then tap to select your preferred focal length: 24 mm, 28 mm, or 35 mm.

OPTION 2 -- RAW/HEIF. Take a magnificent 48MP photo in HEIF or ProRAW.

48MP HEIF gives you 4x more resolution than before, in a format that’s ready to share. Go to Settings > Camera > Formats and turn on ProRAW & Resolution Control. Then tap Pro Default and select HEIF Max. For precise control over color, detail, and dynamic range with 48MP ProRAW resolution, open Settings, then go to Camera > Formats > Pro Default and select ProRAW Max.

Posts: 11431 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Slight drift -- how do you manage to brick an iPhone?

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
would not care
to elaborate
Picture of sse
posted Hide Post
I'm in the same boat. I watched numerous YT vids to adjust a number of settings from the default. I have it at the 35mm, because that's what I grew up using. However, it does alter depth of field which needs to be dealt with. With the default iPhone 7 28mm, everything was always in focus. There are ways around this, and when I have time I'll review adjustment of the aperture and other settings.

Regarding the second issue, I'm still in the learning curve on that, let alone how the device handles it. The versatility is incredible and fascinating, you can go as far into the weeds as you want. At a minimun would need subscription processing software, but I did find a free Lightroom app, not the same but interesting nonetheless. Maybe sone pros will chime in.

Posts: 3076 | Location: USA | Registered: June 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Seeker of Clarity
Picture of r0gue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:

Near as I can tell the battery went to shit. Took it to Apple and they said it was in a boot loop and a battery wouldn't help. When back home, it fired up for a bit on a charger and while trying to migrate it, it went to a -you need to restore- screen. Somehow now his iCloud password won't work, so we're in the process of trying to get that reset. Which seems to take some time, if it will be possible at all. They want to send a code to his iCloud email, which of course, he will not be able to get. Nothing's ever easy.

Certainly didn't need this now with some other heavy stuff going on in my life, but through it we will go.

Posts: 11431 | Registered: August 02, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
I've had one now for about 8 months.
I haven't played around with those settings you mentioned, just the magnification to zoom in or out a few times.
Without having a lot of technical skills I can tell you it takes really great pictures. I can zoom in when I'm on other devices with much larger screens and the detail is amazing for a camera phone.

Posts: 9785 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by r0gue:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Near as I can tell the battery went to shit. Took it to Apple and they said it was in a boot loop and a battery wouldn't help. <snip> Nothing's ever easy.
I see. I'll do backups on my phone and wife's today. Wink

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31341 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post