SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Social Security question my wife asked
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Social Security question my wife asked Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted
I have no idea. Over in P220s back yard a guy went "missing' a while back. He's an elderly guy as I understand it. We drive by his house about weekly and his truck has moved, but I assume its his son driving it.

So what happens to his SS payments. I assume its being direct deposited to his checking. While everyone assumes he's dead, legally he's still alive and it'll be 7 full years till he can be declared dead. What about his truck payments, assuming he had a loan?

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Don't know about the SSI payments, but if he's dead and there was a loan, then his estate is responsible for the remainder of the loan and the truck can still be repo'ed.

Posts: 27293 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
I do not know the answer to your question regarding SS payments.

I suspect you are referring to George?

I did not know him, but know 4 people who do/did know him.

Very sad case, I do hope it has a favorable ending, but every day I believe the chances diminish.

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36843 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
and this little pig said:
posted Hide Post
From what I know, if the guy has automatic deposit into his account, and is questionably available, whoever has access to his/her account will be responsible to reimburse the SSA if the person is deceased.

Before spending anything, call your local SSA District Office and let them know the particulars.

Posts: 3399 | Registered: February 07, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
An interesting question and I have sometimes wondered if there were any mechanisms in place to confirm that a recipient of various programs was even still alive.

Near the end of my career in Army CID offices around the country were tasked with contacting a list of elderly retirees to confirm just that. Agents were required to contact the individuals face to face, and in one case that turned into a bit of a struggle. A caregiver for one man was extremely suspicious of who I was and why I wanted to see the man, believing that I might be an imposter bent on scamming him in some way. Although I normally wore civilian clothing on duty, for that meeting I wore my uniform and presented both my credentials and military ID card for examination.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47410 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
I didn't even know his name was George. But yes, and his cars are still sitting parked where they have been for a while. The truck in question seems to be a later model, and its why I wondered about the payments if any.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I just saw this today about a guy who laid dead on his kitchen floor for 3 years.

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/ne...y-kitchen-floor.html

Posts: 5623 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Assault Accountant
Picture of 12GA
posted Hide Post
There are computer systems used by fraud units in municipalities which cross-reference other systems. For example, if an individual is reported as deceased to a credit agency or a government agency like the IRS, then it would appear as an exception on other government systems.

Posts: 2583 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: July 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Fed 161, please pick up the white courtesy phone.

Posts: 15909 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Who is George? A member here?

Posts: 11855 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
Who is George? A member here?

No, just a guy that had a nice "camp" along the river. There are a few others, but his was about the nicest. It attracted a bunch of local attention when he went missing earlier. No comment intended as to his character, and I started the thread because my wife asked about his SS. He may not even have been old enough to claim yet. We noticed his truck parked back where it always was as we passed by the camp today.

Unhappy ammo seeker

posted Hide Post
I went through this a year ago. The JP did the death certificate and SSA got notified immediately. Before you could blink SSA reversed the most recent direct deposit.

armadill0

Posts: 35 | Location: San Antonio | Registered: April 01, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SSA gets death notices from a variety of sources. The obvious one is next of kin reports to SSA. A hospitalized individual on medicare who dies will be reported as deceased to medicare by the hospital and the data passes on to SSA. SSA gets death info from DOD and state bureau of vital statistics offices. There are a number of other sources where we get death data as well, including funeral homes and other sources. So SSA may already know about the death.

But it certainly wouldn't be the first time that SSA never learns of a death and some sleazy relative has access to the bank account where the checks continue to be deposited after the death.

I used to do face to face home visits on elderly individuals to insure they were not deceased. 95 years old plus and other criteria are used. One way to catch this is to run medicare non-usage against the beneficiary rolls. If a guy is, say 87 years old and hasn't used medicare in 5 years, there is a fairly high likelihood they might be dead. So we check those out.

So SSA may already know the guy is dead. If there is a genuine suspicion that the guy is deceased, you could ask the local police to do a wellness check on the guy. If you were to contact SSA with just a suspicion that the guy is missing and might be dead (and the checks are still going out), SSA could contact the guy to just verify that we have the correct address. If there is no response, SSA can suspend the checks (not terminate the benefits or input a death, but just suspend the checks.) Beneficiaries are required to simply verify that SSA has the correct address. If they don't respond, we can suspend the checks for a bad address.

Posts: 1054 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by odin:
From what I know, if the guy has automatic deposit into his account, and is questionably available, whoever has access to his/her account will be responsible to reimburse the SSA if the person is deceased.

They will be more than responsible. They will get locked up. SSA criminally prosecutes people who knowingly access the funds of a deceased individual who remains in payment status and the perp accesses their funds. Been involved in preparing a case for prosecution for the US Attorney myself.

Posts: 1054 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
32nd degree
Picture of roarindan
posted Hide Post
(larry the cable guy voice on...) I BELIEVE... (voice off).. he aint dead fer 7 years and that dont start 'til somebody starts a missing persons report.

"the world doesn't end til yer dead, 'til then there's more beatin's in store, stand it like a man, and give some back"
Al Swearengen

Posts: 4586 | Location: East Overshoe, second buckle from the top. | Registered: January 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
The guy in question here (George) isn't confirmed as dead. Just missing. The local authorities suspect foul play, or at least that's how its been reported by the media (which could mean about anything).

Unhappy ammo seeker

posted Hide Post
I wouldn't be snitching to SSA based on speculation. You don't know he's dead, you don't know his payments are missing, and you don't know if anyone took them.

Posts: 17147 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armadill0:
I went through this a year ago. The JP did the death certificate and SSA got notified immediately. Before you could blink SSA reversed the most recent direct deposit.

The exact same thing happened when my mom passed away. She wasn't gone a week and SSI had already recalled her last payment.

Posts: 7076 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
SS usually gets taken care of by various sources. The deceased is reported somewhere and adjudicated. The bigger problem could then be if he is just AWAY and gets declared erroneously:

https://www.fox4now.com/news/n...-dead-im-still-alive

I should be tall and rich too; That ain't gonna happen either

Posts: 358 | Location: NW NJ | Registered: December 07, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post