SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Best general purpose chain saw bar length?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best general purpose chain saw bar length? Login/Join 
Picture of Pyker
posted
I'm not looking to fell any mighty redwoods, but I have a few fair sized dead trees that are looking a lot like widow-makers that need to come down. My 14" bar does fine on the smaller stuff, but I'm looking to go up the scale a bit.

I'm thinking a 20" might be the answer, but what does the team think?

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A Stihl MS250 with an 18” bar would be a good machine that’s not too heavy with plenty of power.

Posts: 3601 | Location: Texas Hill Country | Registered: July 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
A 20 inch bar is the best length I have tried. With the dogs you probably can cut an 18 inch tree without coming at it from both sides which is plenty big for me. Second best length is a 24 inch bar not for the larger wood you can cut but because you don't have to lean over as much when you're bucking logs into firewood lengths

Posts: 593 | Location: Glide, Oregon | Registered: March 23, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because you can,
doesn't mean you should
posted Hide Post
16 or 18" is my suggestion.

Posts: 9546 | Location: NE GA | Registered: August 22, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be Like Mike
Picture of CEShooter
posted Hide Post
I’ve had both a 16” and 18” bar on the same saw and the 18” was big enough for a ~60 y.o. White oak and the 16” was just barely too short to get through the bottom.

---------------
"Structural engineering is the art of moulding materials we don't understand into shapes we cannot precisely analyze, so as to withstand forces we cannot really access, in such a way that the community at large has no reason to suspect the extent of our ignorance." Dr. A. R. Dykes

Posts: 2229 | Location: 500 Miles from the homeland | Registered: February 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Keeping the economy moving since 1964
Picture of chbibc
posted Hide Post
I personally use a 20" bar, and have for 30 years. For me it is the perfect size; I cut a lot of firewood (burn about 4-6 face cords every season) and most of the logs I work on are in a range of 12"-24".

-----------------------
You can't fall off the floor.

Posts: 8532 | Location: Rochester, NY behind enemy lines | Registered: March 12, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Funny Man
Picture of TXJIM
posted Hide Post
It’s a balance between the length of the blade and weight of the saw needed to turn the longer chain. For a general use homeowner saw 14”-16” is probably the sweet spot.

Posts: 7093 | Location: Austin, TX | Registered: June 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
It depends on your saw. If it currently has a 14" bar it will probably only accommodate a 16" is my guess.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19245 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Down the Rabbit Hole
Picture of Jupiter
posted Hide Post
I run both 18" and 20" on both of my MS261s.
For general cutting, I prefer the 18".

Diligentia, Vis, Celeritas

"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."
-- George Orwell

Posts: 4836 | Location: North Mississippi | Registered: August 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What powerhead, what chain size. If you have 14" as a stock one, you probably won't be too happy with more than 16" for actual work. But you can put anything on there, it just won't work very well. I cut a lot of trees as a source of income and 18" is pretty much the optimum with a decent powerhead. I run that on some smaller lighter saws but its just to have chain/bar compatibility, a smaller powerhead won't run the extra length without managing around the lack of power. But it is nice to have a lighter setup when you have to hike distances with gear. I have a 36" saw for when its needed but its a beast and nobody would carry that around day to day.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11019 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
I’ve got 7 acres and I bbq a lot. My 20” echo has been perfect.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12451 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Conveniently located directly
above the center of the Earth
Picture of signewt
posted Hide Post
just how fit do you intend to become yourself in the pursuit of using such a tool?

50 years ago I preferred 30-36 for old growth fir.

Nowdays, 16-18 is plenty.

**************~~~~~~~~~~
"I've been on this rock too long to bother with these liars any more."
~SIGforum advisor~
"When the pain of staying the same outweighs the pain of change, then change will come."~~sigmonkey

Posts: 9856 | Location: sunny Orygun | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
Thank you all. I think an 18 or 20" is in my future. I'm pretty sure my little 14" saw won't handle that much bar, so it's an excellent excuse for [Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor] More Power! [/Tim 'The Toolman' Taylor]

Posts: 2763 | Location: Lake Country, Minnesota | Registered: September 06, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
... I have a few fair sized dead trees that are looking a lot like widow-makers that need to come down.

Define "fair sized" in terms of trunk diameter.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ensigmatic:
quote:
Originally posted by Pyker:
... I have a few fair sized dead trees that are looking a lot like widow-makers that need to come down.

Define "fair sized" in terms of trunk diameter.

I haven't measured them, but they're too big for my current saw.

Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
A lot of holes in the discussion so far. Who says you can only run one bar length? Bigger saws work great with a shorter bar for utility use. When you've been cutting for a number of years, its not unusual to have 3 or 4 different bars. Personally, I prefer to have a big saw with a short blade than trying to stick a long blade on a weak saw.

What sometimes happens is you dull down a short bar/chain and then need to put on a longer one to finish a project/job. Some small engines are beasts, like the Stihl 020. Much stronger than their size would indicate. I just gave that to my oldest son. He's discovered how good it is. I didn't have the heart to offload my 660 Magnum. Too much saw for a new user.

Some day I'm going to get rid of my bar and chain collection. They run from 16" up to 36". That last isn't used much, hardly ever. But there is no substitute when you need it. Think about the chains, too. Any idiot can touch up a chain. But to really sharpen one takes a table top sharpening jig.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18389 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sigcrazy7
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jupiter:
I run both 18" and 20" on both of my MS261s.
For general cutting, I prefer the 18".

TWO!! MS261s? You, sir, are in tall cotton! I wish I could justify one, but my 029 just won't die.

Demand not that events should happen as you wish; but wish them to happen as they do happen, and you will go on well. -Epictetus

Posts: 8222 | Location: Utah | Registered: December 18, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone to the Dogs
Picture of tomgun
posted Hide Post
I have a little stihl for when I’m climbing and cutting, but my all around stihl has a 20 inch bar
I also have a 28 inch bar I can throw on there if needed and the saw came with the 28
So I agree on having more than one bar and a big engine.
And if I’m way out in the woods I want a backup saw, but that’s another topic

Posts: 1696 | Location: Lake Tapps, WA. | Registered: June 08, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
blame canada
Picture of AKSuperDually
posted Hide Post
For me, it's 20" but my truck/wheeler saw is a 16". I live in Alaska and our trees are small in diameter where I live.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"The trouble with our Liberal friends...is not that they're ignorant, it's just that they know so much that isn't so." Ronald Reagan, 1964
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Arguing with some people is like playing chess with a pigeon. It doesn't matter how good I am at chess, the pigeon will just take a shit on the board, strut around knocking over all the pieces and act like it won.. and in some cases it will insult you at the same time." DevlDogs55, 2014 Big Grin
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

www.rikrlandvs.com

Posts: 13957 | Location: On the mouth of the great Kenai River | Registered: June 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Pyker
posted Hide Post
I appreciate everyone's input, but several of you are answering questions I haven't asked.

Yes, it would be nice to have multiple bars and chains, and different saws for climbing, going deep into the outback and so on. However, I am no lumberjack, I am a homeowner doing occasional cleanup work in my grove, not cutting great swathes of forest down. Nor do I have limitless money with which to purchase a wide range of equipment. I intend to buy the one saw, the One saw to rule them all, One saw to find them,
One saw to bring them all and in the darkness bind them.

I am looking for an idea as to the best, or most useful, saw and bar length for that activity, and nothing more. Thanks again.