SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Are your boots ready for the Winter weather?
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Are your boots ready for the Winter weather? Login/Join 
posted
Just finished up putting a coat of bees wax on the work boots.
The weather hasn't been to bad, so I got to them before any major weather.

Hoping to extend the life of the leather by keeping it soft and waterproof.

So are your boots ready for the Winter weather?

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
This is a question I used to ask myself in mid October, living within sight of Montreal and all that. If they're not ready for winter by early January, are they ever gonna be? Wink

To respond seriously, my surplus Bates Durashocks are waterproof. I've worn them for over a year and a half and never had wet, or cold feet. I'd say I'm good. Anything else, I'd have melted in the bees wax Sno Seal with a heat gun. How many coats? Until the leather is stiff and waxy. That many.

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the reminder - the leather on my Sorel's is looking a bit dry and flaky. Time for a fresh coat.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
This is a question I used to ask myself in mid October, living within sight of Montreal and all that.

You can see Montreal from Seattle-ish? Wink

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Has anyone here used Nikwax for boots?

--Tom
The right of self preservation, in turn, was understood as the right to defend oneself against attacks by lawless individuals, or, if absolutely necessary, to resist and throw off a tyrannical government.

Posts: 1513 | Location: Lehigh County,PA-USA | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have used the spray on Nik-Wax for hybrid leather/fabric boots but never the wax. It works well for the light to moderate exposure but only lasts for 9-10 trips.

Posts: 4979 | Registered: April 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made my own mixture of Neets Foot Oil, Bee's Wax,a touch of Carnuba Wax, and a splash of Tea Tree Oil. Works fantastic.
Treated my boots and everything else applicable in late September.
I think i"m ready.

I treated a motor cycle jacket for my nephew with Nik-Wax because it allows the fabric to breath, supposedly.

Posts: 358 | Registered: March 04, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Jimbo Jones
posted Hide Post
This is a very timely thread.

Ive always used mink oil on boots (at least for full grain leather boots and shoes) and leather gloves...whats the groupthink on that?

Also - my Red Wings are nubuck finsh (wearing them now as it has been some nice winter-type weather in NC today, heavy rains high winds, 30 degree temp drop and snow!) - not sure if that should be treated differently than full grain.

---------------------------------------
It's like my brain's a tree and you're those little cookie elves.

Posts: 3625 | Location: Cary, NC | Registered: February 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Spray-on's last about as long as it took to apply. The easier it is to apply, the easier it is for it to come off.
With this deep winter we're experiencing in the Sierra's, my old Caribou's could use some treatment. SnoSeal is pretty basic waxed-based, Nikwax is similar with updated additives. Mink Oil is classic, although it tends to soften the leather more than I like. Leather is inherently waterproof, periodic retreating helps keep the leather supple and prevents drying, which is the death of leather footwear. Make sure your leather is clean before treating.

Posts: 14656 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Back in my construction/plumbing days and I was in the mud and crap almost daily I used to use Huberd’s Shoe Grease on recommendation from a local shoe repair shop owner. First produced back in 1921... It's pine tar and bees wax. Meh, it's OK I guess.

Also tried Mink oil. Didn't impress me either, and the one I tried STANK.

Screw all that special attention... I just started spraying 'em down with WD-40 when I think of it and they happen to be fairly clean and dry.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
Mine are. Going back to my Red Wing 4215 with steel toe, water proof and electric shock protection. They are heavy but I've never worn a boot more comfortable.

quote:
Originally posted by P220 Smudge:
This is a question I used to ask myself in mid October, living within sight of Montreal and all that. If they're not ready for winter by early January, are they ever gonna be? Wink

That's some super vision there!

Posts: 13113 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
They're ready, I might have to knock the dust off of them though. Haven't worn them since 1995

Posts: 5320 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ironbutt
posted Hide Post
Being an old Marine, I've always been very anal about caring for my boots. There are probably better products on the market, but I've been using the old Sno-Seal bees wax stuff since I was a little kid, and my Dad used it before me.

I put it on, then sit the boots in the sun, or near the wood stove, to let it melt in.

------------------------------------------------

"It's hard to imagine a more stupid or dangerous way of making decisions, than by putting those decisions in the hands of people who pay no price for being wrong."
Thomas Sowell

Posts: 2048 | Location: PA | Registered: September 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Min-Chin-Chu-Ru... Speed with Glare
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRIO:
Has anyone here used Nikwax for boots?

I just applied the Nikwax that comes in a tube to my Blundstones. I called Nikwax and asked if I should keep the Nikwax off the boots' elastic fabric side panels and they told me yes. A little won't hurt the fabric, but the tube Nikwax is made for leather not fabric. This might not be the case for the Nikwax sprays.

Posts: 1266 | Location: MA | Registered: December 24, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ironbutt:
Being an old Marine, I've always been very anal about caring for my boots. There are probably better products on the market, but I've been using the old Sno-Seal bees wax stuff since I was a little kid, and my Dad used it before me.

I put it on, then sit the boots in the sun, or near the wood stove, to let it melt in.

Similar but not a Marine or in possession of enough patience. Wink
Turn oven on to 170 degrees (min temp). When it gets up to temp, turn off. Stick boots in on a folded up paper grocery bag. Take out one at a time and rub as much Sno-Seal into them as I can, putting a bead in the notch where the leather joins the sole. Once both are done, remove from oven, turn it back on, shut it off when up to temp, put them back in. After a while, pull them out and check. Add another coat if it looks warranted.

Posts: 6919 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
You can see Montreal from Seattle-ish? Wink

quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
That's some super vision there!

You should see what I can do with a rifle. I can hit a gnat's ass from the next hemisphere. Big Grin

(I used to live just south of Montreal. It gets cold there. We got snow, even Wink )

Posts: 17129 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
Arctic Mucks are always ready

Posts: 17889 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I wear Dryshod Arctic Storm boots. No need to put on any treatment. Easy on easy off.

Silent

Posts: 1026 | Registered: February 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Waiting for Hachiko
Picture of Sunset_Va
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jimbo Jones:
This is a very timely thread.

Ive always used mink oil on boots (at least for full grain leather boots and shoes) and leather gloves...whats the groupthink on that?

Also - my Red Wings are nubuck finsh (wearing them now as it has been some nice winter-type weather in NC today, heavy rains high winds, 30 degree temp drop and snow!) - not sure if that should be treated differently than full grain.

I quit using Mink Oil years ago. It does keep the leather supple, but kills any insulating properties the boots have. My feet froze with the boots treated with Mink Oil. Ditto for Neets Foot too.

美しい犬

Posts: 6673 | Location: Near the Metropolis of Tightsqueeze, Va | Registered: February 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Back in my construction/plumbing days and I was in the mud and crap almost daily I used to use Huberd’s Shoe Grease on recommendation from a local shoe repair shop owner. First produced back in 1921... It's pine tar and bees wax. Meh, it's OK I guess.

All I have ever used is Huberd's shoe grease. It has kept my 40 year old Sorels water-proof and going strong for ... well ... 40 years. 32 year old Danners ain't doing so bad either.

It was good enough for dad and good enough for grandpa. It's good enough for me.

Posts: 20103 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post