SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    PSA: Firman generator on sale at Costco
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

PSA: Firman generator on sale at Costco Login/Join 
Picture of holdem
posted
I am a frequent Costco shopper, but had not been in the store in a few weeks. Yesterday afternoon I had to run in for a few items. I was walking by an endcap and there was a stack of these generators. I have seen them before and at $449 seemed to be a pretty good deal, but I held off.

Well, currently they are $100 off, bringing the price to $349. I have never seen a 2000W inverter from any brand at that price so it went right in my cart. Don't really need it today, but living in FL there will always come a time when a generator is appreciated.

Looks like they are sold out online, but if you are near a Costco, they may have some in stock as my location had a whole stack of them. Check quickly though, the sale ends 4/4.

Posts: 2292 | Location: Orlando | Registered: April 22, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
who makes them and where are they made?

My Honda 2000w is a gem.

I also have a DeVilbiss 5000 watt. That works great too.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
Pointed Deniseair over to Costco while she was out, two left there.

quote:
Firman generators are a division of the Sumec Machinery. Sumec Machinery was founded in 1978 and is headquartered in Nanjing, China with North American operation in Atlanta, Ga. The Sumec Corporation is a subsidiary of Sinomach. For more information about Firman, go to www.firmangenerators.com.

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 12418 | Location: Madison, MS | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Firman generators are a division of Sumec Machinery...headquartered in Nanjing, China.
I don't think so, Tim.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
My Honda 2000w is a gem.

Honda's 2200i generators are probably the most popular and most reliable generators around, have had mine for 5-years and looking to get another one to run in tandem for the next rolling-blackout season Roll Eyes . During track days/night those were the most common.

Since 2017, after the first big fire season around here Costco has ramped-up its availability of generators. Yamaha and Generac have been the brands I've seen at the stores our here.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
Looks like the Honda are roughly three times the price of the one the OP mentioned.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4129 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cparktd:
Looks like the Honda are roughly three times the price of the one the OP mentioned.
You get what you pay for.

Posts: 9042 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Firman generators are a division of Sumec Machinery...headquartered in Nanjing, China.
I don't think so, Tim.

I considered buying one when I saw them in Costco, but quickly decided not to when I googled the manufacturer. Especially for something that might sit in the basement for four years before it's first use. It was tempting based on price, in the end, decided it wasn't something I was willing to give China my money for.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yep, and ten times better. So do the math. Wink

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19188 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Am The Walrus
posted Hide Post
So what you guys are saying is Honda is the way to go. I’ll make a note of that. Going to get me a generator before heading back to Florida.

Posts: 13116 | Registered: March 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
So what you guys are saying is Honda is the way to go. I’ll make a note of that. Going to get me a generator before heading back to Florida.

Yamaha is fully equal to Honda generators as well. They just aren’t as common and tend to cost a little more. Anyone would be well served with a Honda or a Yamaha generator.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5578 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

What's the most important attribute for a generator...reliability.

Honda generators, along with Toyota Hilux's, are the definition of reliability.

Posts: 14657 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
I see the Honda eu2200iTAG on Amazon for $1099. Tempting. But I decided on a Ecoflow River Pro solar generator. Combination inverter, battery and solar controllers are getting big based on my brief unscientific YouTube survey. Working from home- It will be nice to keep working at least. I hope my modem tolerates 30ms delay for uninterrupted power supply.

Posts: 3522 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Lt CHEG:
quote:
Originally posted by Edmond:
Yamaha is fully equal to Honda generators as well. They just aren’t as common and tend to cost a little more. Anyone would be well served with a Honda or a Yamaha generator.
I have a Yamaha EF2400iS. It's a great generator and has worked flawlessly.

Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Hondas cost per watt is high, a comparable Honda at 7000 watts is the EU7000iS at $5,059, not inexpensive at 10 times the cost of the Furman.

The smaller 2200 watt units are in the $1500 price range, you could buy three Furmans for that, plus gas.

The main consideration is what do you need to run with it because 2200 isn't going to run much more than a TV, one refrigerator, some lights.

My Troy Built was bought right before the 2004 Hurricanes of Charlie, Frances, Ivan and Jeanne hit CFL. Still fires right up and works 17 years later.... $450 New

Posts: 23457 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
Especially for something that might sit in the basement for four years before it's first use.

You should really let a generator run on a regular schedule. Letting it run with a draw while you mow the lawn is pretty popular around here.

Posts: 9965 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:
Especially for something that might sit in the basement for four years before it's first use.

You should really let a generator run on a regular schedule. Letting it run with a draw while you mow the lawn is pretty popular around here.

Or leave it in the box and never start it until you have an emergency. Which is what I did. But yeah, once it's had gas in it, you should start/run it with a load monthly for an hour and keep stabilizer in the gas and rotate it. I get gas when we have the first hurricane coming, then every 4-6 weeks put it in my vehicle and refill it until hurricane season is over.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Or leave it in the box and never start it until you have an emergency.

Hmmm, something seems counterintuitive here. But I guess if the chances of an out of box failure is low, then you are good to go.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10927 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I have a very particular
set of skills
posted Hide Post
I purchased one. I had my annual CC rebate, which brought it down to about $275. Hard to pass up at that price if you don't want to drop 4 figures on a Honda.

Yes, if you camp, etc. and use for hours on end, and have the $$, you could certainly spend more.

It's basically for emergencies, etc. if they don't think they're not going to get the power back on for more than a half a day or so. Fridge, microwave, maybe a space heater if needed.

$.02 worth,
Boss

A real life Sisyphus...
"It's not the critic who counts..." TR
Exodus 23.2: Do not follow the crowd in doing wrong...
Despite some people's claims to the contrary, 5 lbs. is actually different than 12 lbs.
It's never simple/easy.

Posts: 4991 | Location: In the arena... | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:
quote:

Having been a generator tech and electrician I'm well aware of that, but I lose power twice a decade for more than 24 hours, so I'd probably never unpack it.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20824 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post