SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Frustrating Experience With TP-Link Router: UPDATED
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Frustrating Experience With TP-Link Router: UPDATED Login/Join 
McNoob
Picture of xantom
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:
Originally posted by xantom:
Had a similar issue with this router. I replaced it.

If you search “Archer A7 not getting advertised speeds”, there’s lots of results on the internet about this and no resolution that I can see.

That’s kind of disappointing, because all the regular reviews of this router are very good. I suppose it just cannot handle higher speeds, maybe it just does not have the horsepower.

What did you replace yours with?

Sorry I was mistaken. My scenario was with a Nighthawk Smart Wi-Fi Router, R6700 - AC1750. I had a client that couldn't get advertised speeds from it and we ended up getting this for him:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/prod..._title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

"We've done four already, but now we're steady..."

Posts: 1735 | Location: MN | Registered: November 20, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Member!
posted Hide Post
Just happened to see this. FYI: It's the WIFI router I use and have great experience with. No it's not the newest, but it's still a great WIFI router.

Asus AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit WiFi Router (New, Open Box)

StackSocial has the Asus AC1900 Dual-Band Gigabit WiFi Router (New, Open Box) for $79.99 - $15.99 w/promo code SD20JAN21 = $64.00. Shipping is $2.99.

Supports 3rd party firmware like Merlin, if you are so inclined.

Posts: 4346 | Location: Boise, ID USA | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's currently got a feature enabled where the 2.4ghz and 5Ghz SSID's use the same name and they are supposed to switch back and forth automatically as needed.

I tried that on my TP-Link AX6000 WiFi 6 Router back in September when I bought it. I didn't like the way it worked though I don't remember exactly why now... turned it off. Mine also acted badly and I had to reboot it almost daily at first. I was about to send it back when they published a firmware update and it works fine now.

I can't relate to the speeds as I am only paying for 200Mbs.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:

It's currently got a feature enabled where the 2.4ghz and 5Ghz SSID's use the same name and they are supposed to switch back and forth automatically as needed.

The feature is called "band steering" and it always does not work well.
The reason is that the client determines what AP (if multiple AP's) and what band to use.
IT Department's cannot control the clients like they can with the infrastructure and therefore with that anything can be a client (in quality) the results and reliability can vary greatly.
Better Wi-Fi companies do have better mechanisms for better functionality.
The general consensus in the Wi-Fi Tech industry is not to utilize it and just create separate SSID's for 5 and 2.4.

Posts: 22923 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
OK, it must be my phone and laptop’s Wifi gear here?

I powered down modem and router.

Connected LAPTOP to modem with CAT 5e patch cable and powered it back up. From Comcast’s own speed test: 650-700 Mbps!

Powered up router. Connected modem to router.

Connected LAPTOP to router port with CAT 5e patch cable. From Comcast’s own speed test: 585-650 Mbps!

Disconnected patch cable and connected to router via WiFi on the laptop. Comcast speed test: 200-250 Mbps

Phone test to Comcast’s speed test site: same thing, 200-250 Mbps

It’s not my modem OR router then?

Laptop is work issued with a D-Link USB WiFi adapter. That’s got to be the issue then.

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sleepla8er
posted Hide Post

Reposting this just in case you missed it from page 1.

If you already tried this, I don't have a clue??

quote:
Originally posted by sleepla8er:

It's been a while since I supported WiFi equipment and networks, this may not be correct for the current routers on the market.

A router will only operate at the fastest speed of the slowest connected device on that frequency.

Change the name of your WiFi network, then connect the newest device you own and test the speed. If that is above 350Mbs, then connect each device one by one to determine which one slows down the entire network.

I expect it will be your security camera, a TV, or something else you forgot is connected that is slowing everything down.

Good luck!

Posts: 2856 | Location: San Diego, CA  | Registered: July 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
Laptop is work issued with a D-Link USB WiFi adapter. That’s got to be the issue then.
Wait!! USB?
Yeah, ummm, that's probably it, depending on which version of USB. Especially if it's USB 2 port (is it blue? 3 is blue if you have one), which is supposedly 480MBPS, but typically less... Even then it depends on the adapter itself, too.

Does it not have a built-in Wifi adapter?

NRA Benefactor
I lost all my weapons in a boating, umm, accident.
http://www.aufamily.com/forums/

Posts: 6219 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stoic-one:
quote:
Wait!! USB?
Yeah, ummm, that's probably it, depending on which version of USB. Especially if it's USB 2 port (is it blue? 3 is blue if you have one), which is supposedly 480MBPS, but typically less..

Does it not have a built-in Wifi adapter?

No built in Wi-Fi, this was work issued which does not allow devices with wireless capability into the building I work at. I have to use USB which remains at home.

Posts: 33829 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
What model wifi adapter? Have you looked it up?

NRA Benefactor

Posts: 6219 | Location: Headland, AL | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

D-Link DWA-171 Wireless AC Dual Band Adapter

I'm not sure what the USB ports are on the laptop but most likely not 3.0

Unflappable Enginerd
Picture of stoic-one
posted Hide Post
quote:
DWA-171
from the D-Link site:
Wireless Speed 150Mbps (2.4GHz) or 433Mbps (5GHz)
USB 2 device.

NRA Benefactor

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

D-Link DWA-171 Wireless AC Dual Band Adapter

I'm not sure what the USB ports are on the laptop but most likely not 3.0

If not a USB 3.0 port then the theoretical limit is approx 400mbs.

quote:
D-Link DWA-171 Wireless

Even though this adaptor supports 5.0 AC the physical size (of the internal antennas) will limit gain.

Posts: 22923 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post