SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    What's the best way to cook pork breakfast sausage links?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's the best way to cook pork breakfast sausage links? Login/Join 
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
Cooking the egg(s), runny yolk, in the sausage grease and bits is what follows, too.

It's a rule, I think.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned for
showing his ass
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
Cooking the egg(s), runny yolk, in the sausage grease and bits is what follows, too.

It's a rule, I think.

I think so too ... !

Posts: 3190 | Location: PNW | Registered: November 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
Pan fry or toaster oven.

Posts: 27925 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
Poached in a little bit of water to heat through. When the water boils away, the skin will brown up nicely.

If they are proper (stuffed in casings) breakfast links, there shouldn't be any grease. So frying the eggs as an accompaniment should be done in a separate pan with lard/bacon grease. Round it all off with some toast slathered with butter and you've got yourself a good dang breakfast.

Posts: 20075 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Simmering in water has to do with whether they are raw or not, I think..it cooks them through and plumps them up..then browning in a cast iron pan.

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5303 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Baroque Bloke
Picture of Pipe Smoker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Pan fry or roast in oven

Why are you guys boiling sausage like that? Confused

Amen, PASIG. I use my iron stovetop griddle. Easier to roll the links for even browning with no interference from high sides of a frying pan. Pressing them down as I roll them with my spatula.

Serious about crackers

Posts: 8931 | Location: San Diego | Registered: July 26, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Beancooker:
I prefer to smoke them for an hour or two. I have had pretty great luck with some amazingly tasty sausages doing it this way.

Third answer and we have a winner.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20810 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
It’s 2327 hours and now I’m hungry

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11269 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of konata88
posted Hide Post
I simmer pork sausages in water with ginger and chopped green onions. Supposedly to remove the smell of pork. I usually remove the casings first.

Then I’ll brown them in cast iron / carbon steel pan or toast them in the toaster oven (3 min, flip, 3 min).

What I wouldn’t give for buns that are soft, sweet, fit the sausage and condiments perfectly and don’t come apart while eating. I’ve taken to eating sausages and hot dogs wrapped in tortillas.

"Wrong does not cease to be wrong because the majority share in it." L.Tolstoy
"A government is just a body of people, usually, notably, ungoverned." Shepherd Book

Posts: 12713 | Location: In the gilded cage | Registered: December 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:
Originally posted by lastmanstanding:

I add a bit of butter.
Uh, isn't that why we save bacon fat?
It's what I use in my cast iron skillet.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Nobody has mentioned Air Fryer. That works, too.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30641 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Alea iacta est
Picture of Beancooker
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by konata88:
I’ve taken to eating sausages and hot dogs wrapped in tortillas.

WTF?

quote:
Originally posted by parabellum: You must have your pants custom tailored to fit your massive balls.
The “lol” thread

Posts: 4025 | Location: Staring down at you with disdain, from the spooky mountaintop castle.  | Registered: November 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Sideline: what do you mix in with your pork to make your breakfast links/patties?

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5303 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Pan fry or roast in oven

Why are you guys boiling sausage like that? Confused

Because science.....liquid carries heat more efficiently than air. Once the water is boiled off, sear the outside skin to get color and texture, then done. Clean up is much easier and less of a mess than open frying, not to mention its a faster method.

You're not immersing the sausages in a caldron of boiling water, you just need maybe 1/2cup, place sausages in pan, cover and let come to boil. Give it a minute or two depending on size and number in pan, add more water if necessary. Remove cover, allow liquid to boil off, add a touch of oil/butter to sear outside skin to finish them off. Internal temp should be 160F minimum.

I get pan-fry only method, there's a certain morning ritual to it, however the clean-up and greasy air afterwards is a pain.

Posts: 14634 | Location: Wine Country | Registered: September 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Internet Guru
posted Hide Post
Yes, the sausages go in the cold pan. Add a few tablespoons of water and cover. Put on medium heat for 7 minutes. Remove lid and turn until brown.

Posts: 1967 | Registered: April 06, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
Put me in the well seasoned cast iron camp. Works great just like cast iron for bacon. Big Grin

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16183 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I usually brown them up in a skillet for a few minutes then put them in the oven to finish cooking.

Posts: 5414 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Can anyone make a recommendation for the good ones?

I have yet to find any brand that I like. They all taste "not good" to me. However, going out to eat breakfast they will serve much better tasting ones that I really like.

At home I've given up on them, and find I really like the Earl Campbells Hot Links instead (not the super hot ones, the regular hot links) or a Johnsonville Jalapeno or Green Chili brat. Cook'em up as described above in water, chop'em up and into the eggs they go. Muy Bien!

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A day late, and
a dollar short
Picture of Warhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
I have never in my life seen someone steam breakfast sausages like that. Sounds like cooking beer brats or something, I dunno. Sounds strange to me, not breakfast-y.

I brown them in a skillet in their own grease/fat, adjust temp based on size and amount of sausages, roll around or flip as needed to get all sides and the middle done, move to paper towel on plate before serving to deal with any excess grease.

I fry them the same way.

Posts: 13677 | Location: Michigan | Registered: July 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Step 1:
Find a semi secluded spot to camp, during mid week.
On a fire road on the side of a mountain,
No higher in altitude than 4,400 ft.

Setup you camp fire materials on the previous evening.

Fall asleep looking at the stars on a comfortable 67 degrees night.

Step two:
Wake up and start the camp fire pre heat the cast iron skillet plop in your meat with a lid on the pan.
Add your eggs later.

And enjoy the fresh mountain air with the one you love most by your side.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 54602 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post