SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Gun Transportation Question
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Gun Transportation Question Login/Join 
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
Your first suggestion is not a paranoid one, its really the only one that makes sense if you don't want to research the individual States. You don't need a lawyer to do that, but you have to do the work.

Hey, just ‘cause you’re paranoid doesn’t mean they aren’t after you. Wink

To be serious, I’d take the “paranoid” approach. There’s enough things to stress about in life that one can’t easily avoid, skipping that potential stressor is a no-brained for me, but different folks have different comfort levels.

Posts: 6920 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by calugo:
I would start by making sure the vehicle you're driving has everything working properly i.e., lights, turn signals, brake lights and even the little light that illuminates the license plate. Make sure you obey all traffic laws and use your turn signals when changing lanes or making right/left turns. The best way to avoid trouble is to not give the cops a reason to stop you in the first place. I live in PA and a gun owner from PA crossed into NJ and ended up getting pulled over by the cops for not using his turn signal when changing lanes. Turns out he had a firearm in the car and was promptly arrested. Cops will and do pull people over for minor infractions hoping it leads to something bigger.

A little off topic but worth a note to anyone who is interested in what happened to this person. I followed the case in the NJ local media. The PA gun owner was actually a female who had the carry permit because of an abusive ex-husband who had threatened her. She was looking at some serious time. Fortunately, Republican governor Chris Christie pardoned her.

Posts: 1054 | Location: New Jersey  | Registered: May 03, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
This case while relevant to the issue of guns in a hostile State has nothing to do with transporting a gun through a hostile State. She did not claim FOPA (note I would have in similar circumstances just announce I was on my way to NH). The resolution of her case was great given the circumstances, but you probably won't get the governor of Illinois to pardon you for your illegal mags.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11007 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Be aware that some states treat loaded magazines a bit differently than others. For example you you have a recognized concealed weapons permit in Ohio you are just fine with loaded magazines. However if you don't have that permit you are in big trouble. Because Ohio considers having a loaded magazine in your car without a CWP as a violation of the Concealed Weapons Law. BTW, it doesn't matter if you have no firearm with you, just having a loaded magazine is still a Felony that carries a 5 year sentence.

Point being make sure you cover your backside. As others have suggested it may be wisest to ship any magazines via UPS or Fedex. Also either go without a concealed carry pistol or make sure and for certain that you have Reciprocity for every single state you will be traveling thru.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5659 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Separate the following into separate, dedicated, lock containers:

Guns
If gun has removable bolt, remove it
For semiautos, separate frames from slides
Ammunition
Magazines
Accessories

So you will need six different classes of cases for the above categories of hardware. In some states a loaded magazine is the same as a loaded gun. no kidding. The cases should be solid cases with padlocks. In some states a soft case does not meet the definition of a cased gun.

In the above scenario you have the maximum excuse to argue in your favor if an officer nabs you out of ignorance, asshattery, or hate for anyone not exactly like them. I'm thinking the New Jersey Turnpike, NYC, parts of the NE, etc. You get the picture. I don't know the details myself but do your research.

In some states and counties Federal Law regarding legal transportation of firearms across state lines doesn't mean dog shit. And even if it does most LEOs don't know squat or care one iota about Federal Gun tranport laws.

Spend the extra dough for the cases, rent a brand new car if yours is old, set the speed control to 2 below the limit, don't stop to pee, and drive around the bad states. So you take an extra day or two. So what ? Or spend a week in the pokey before you find a lawyer, spend $20k or more to get out of bogus charges, miss a month of work, you get the picture.

As we've seen, "you can't make this stuff up". So don't be the subject of the next crazy fake news story.

The law doesn't mean much anymore to some people, particularly to those in Democratic controlled areas of the country. So why play with fire ? Being lawful and in the right is no longer good enough.

Or, ship everything as others have suggested.

Anyway that's my .02 fwiw.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Have decided to just go the South route through AZ and NM and avoid the whole possible issue. I don't really think we'd have any problem but no sense in even risking it.
Kind of a shame as it's a slightly shorter route and our volunteer drivers haven't seen CO. (It's a bit more scenic IMO)

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dan03833:
Not that this will be an issue for you, but MA law will allow you to drive thru the state, as long as you are legal where you started from and legal where you are going. You cannot stop for any reason; can't stop for gas, bathroom or food.

My best advice would be to [b]call the state police of each state you will pass thru and ask what the laws are just to be safe.[b]

JMHO,, and with respect to the quoted party and our resident LEO's,

however,,

calling the various PD's would be a colossal waste of time,

you would be better off googling travel restrictions etc,

as mentioned,
pack securely, mags separate, and empty, ammo separate and secure, and have a nice trip,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of IntrepidTraveler
posted Hide Post
Be aware that AZ and NM are a patchwork quilt of regulations and enforcement due to Native American lands. Your concealed carry permit carries no weight on native lands. You cannot carry on native lands (in most cases). I do not know about transport.

Thus the metric system did not really catch on in the States, unless you count the increasing popularity of the nine-millimeter bullet.
- Dave Barry

"Never go through life saying 'I should have'..." - quote from the 9/11 Boatlift Story (thanks, sdy for posting it)

Posts: 3301 | Location: Carlsbad NM/ Augusta GA | Registered: July 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
I went on a short notice long-distance road trip 2 years ago. IL was the only state on the route that didn't have LTC reciprocity with Texas.

I pulled off the highway prior to entering IL, unloaded my concealed handgun, put the handgun in a locked bag, and put the mags in a separate bag. When I left IL, I rearmed myself since the new state had reciprocity.

I mentioned this on Sigforum, and it was pointed out to me that I didn't read IL's law close enough. Turns out, I could have kept my P239 locked and loaded in the center console.

It's been 2 years so the OP needs to read the laws themselves as they may have changed. Also, the P239 isn't a high capacity magazine so I have no idea about the so called "high capacity" magazine restrictions in IL.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23296 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
but MA law will allow you to drive thru the state, as long as you are legal where you started from and legal where you are going. You cannot stop for any reason; can't stop for gas, bathroom or food.

I lived there once. show me the statue that says that? FOPA gives you that, but I am unaware of any MA law that says that. Always willing to learn.

posted Hide Post
quote:
So you will need six different classes of cases for the above categories of hardware.

putting something illegal in a case does not make it legal. So this doesn't actually solve any of the issues transitioning a 'silly' State.

Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
So you will need six different classes of cases for the above categories of hardware.

putting something illegal in a case does not make it legal. So this doesn't actually solve any of the issues transitioning a 'silly' State.

I wasn't saying that at all, either you read it wrong or I didn't say it clearly enough. I would never tranport anything illegal through any area, but to make sure, go overboard in suggested procedures if an uninformed, uncaring, or corrupt LEO and/or local justice system wants to screw with you regardless. If you've never run into any LEOs who were ignorant or didn't care about the laws in their own jurisdiction regarding carry or transport, consider yourself lucky. I have and it isn't much fun. Such as, "are you carrying any weapons in your vehicle? Yes officer, I have a xyz legal carry permit, and I have a pistol holstered on my right belt. OH? So WHO do you plan in killing tonight?" yes, shit like that. Or a LEO who threatens to take you you jail for NOT telling him you were carrying, in a non-notify required state. yea, no kidding. "So, you're telling ME about the law regarding weapons ???"... and the list goes on. Funny thing, I was always polite, sincere, and coopertive in all of these traffic stops. So yea, this is how I'd legally transport. By going overboard in this type of "security", my goal would be to defeat any types of bad apples employed as police officers.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8696 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ended up going through CO having shipped the “evil illegal items” separate. Made it to our final free state destination.

Posts: 1963 | Location: Indiana or Florida depending on season  | Registered: March 18, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TigerDore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Powers77:
Ended up going through CO having shipped the “evil illegal items” separate. Made it to our final free state destination.

Congratulations! But it's ridiculous isn't it?

Totalitarianism just continues to creep over our country at a snail's pace. And we accommodate it because no one step is drastic, like the proverbial frog in the lukewarm pot on the stove.

Posts: 8628 | Registered: September 26, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Truckin' On
Picture of AH.74
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:
Be aware that AZ and NM are a patchwork quilt of regulations and enforcement due to Native American lands. Your concealed carry permit carries no weight on native lands. You cannot carry on native lands (in most cases). I do not know about transport.

My understanding has always been that if you stay on either the interstate or state roads while passing through , you are ok- state law governs. As soon as you exit, for example, off of the state road onto a local road in the reservations/pueblos, all bets are off and you are subject to local reservation/pueblo law.

Posts: 7344 | Location: Hermit’s Peak | Registered: November 14, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by armored:
No handgun magazine restrictions anywhere in IL.
Rifles yes.
If you have a CCW permit from another state you can still carry your out of state CCW in IL. as long as you don't exit your car with it.

This...I printed out that portion of the law and carry it in my glove box....and fill up in MO or IN

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Spread the Disease
Picture of flesheatingvirus
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by AH.74:
quote:
Originally posted by IntrepidTraveler:

My understanding has always been that if you stay on either the interstate or state roads while passing through , you are ok- state law governs. As soon as you exit, for example, off of the state road onto a local road in the reservations/pueblos, all bets are off and you are subject to local reservation/pueblo law.

This. Stay on the freeway when passing through a reservation. Stop only when you are in this country.

-- Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past me I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain. --

Posts: 17281 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: October 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post