SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Have you ever been hungry?
Page 1 2 3 4 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Have you ever been hungry? Login/Join 
Get Off My Lawn
Picture of oddball
posted Hide Post
I have never been in the position of extreme poverty where I had zero money or resources to eat. I have missed meals because of logistics made it impossible to eat for 24-36 hours.

But that does not mean I've never been poor. Since my late teens, I have always had a job, always managed to earn some money. However, there were some lean times when all I could afford to eat was beans, rice, potatoes, and split peas- day after day after day...

"I’m not going to read Time Magazine, I’m not going to read Newsweek, I’m not going to read any of these magazines; I mean, because they have too much to lose by printing the truth"- Bob Dylan, 1965

Posts: 16712 | Location: Texas | Registered: May 13, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
186,000 miles per second.
It's the law.

posted Hide Post
Never felt real hunger, and that is why when I see a homeless person looking desperate I never give them cash, but I will buy them a sandwich or a burger.

Posts: 3251 | Registered: August 19, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of FlyingScot
posted Hide Post
Grew up poor, cracked chicken bones and NOTHING was wasted...But my mom and dad always made sure we could eat well if...different. You never wasted a plate.

In college, I was really really poor despite applying my high school savings (worked since 14 and saved), scholarships. I would not take a loan though and food often took a backseat. Got creative and found nd bags of potatoes and onions did wonders, ramen, and 2.95 all you can eat. Lunch was the free food from the Hare Krishnas at the plaza of the Americas.

I went to school at 118 lbs 5’7” and graduated at 134 lbs. safe to say...yeah I’ve known hunger and have taken handouts to feed myself. Wouldn’t change a thing as it toughens you, makes you appreciate what you have and see the kindness in others.

“Forigive your enemy, but remember the bastard’s name.”

-Scottish proverb

Posts: 1999 | Location: South Florida | Registered: December 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
chickenshit
Picture of rsbolo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:
Grew up poor, cracked chicken bones and NOTHING was wasted...But my mom and dad always made sure we could eat well if...different. You never wasted a plate.

In college, I was really really poor despite applying my high school savings (worked since 14 and saved), scholarships. I would not take a loan though and food often took a backseat. Got creative and found nd bags of potatoes and onions did wonders, ramen, and 2.95 all you can eat. Lunch was the free food from the Hare Krishnas at the plaza of the Americas.

I went to school at 118 lbs 5’7” and graduated at 134 lbs. safe to say...yeah I’ve known hunger and have taken handouts to feed myself. Wouldn’t change a thing as it toughens you, makes you appreciate what you have and see the kindness in others.

I've enjoyed some 'Krishna food at PoA.

Go Gators.

Posts: 8000 | Location: East Central FL | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Staring back
from the abyss
Picture of Gustofer
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by FlyingScot:

My freshman year in college, every night of the week a different bar in town would offer free food as long as you drank. It was nachos, or chili, or hot dogs, or tacos,...whatever. We knew where they all were and would go in for a beer (usually they were quarter beers ($.25)), and leave with a full belly.

The bar owners bet on the fact that the college kids would stay much longer and spend much more money and usually they were right. We gamed the system though and ate pretty well.

Posts: 20121 | Location: Montana | Registered: November 01, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you see me running
try to keep up
Picture of mrvmax
posted Hide Post
Most of my childhood and into my teens. When summer came around food was short (no free meals at school). Mustard sandwhiches or potatoes were the extent of a meal. It was a godsend when we would occasionally get govt cheese. One summer I lost so much weight my friends mom asked what my weight loss secret was, I replied just don’t eat. When I first got married at 19 we normally would not have food for my wife and I since we needed to make sure we had food for my daughter. I know oh too well what hunger pangs are.

Posts: 4123 | Location: Friendswood Texas | Registered: August 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Experienced Slacker
posted Hide Post
Think I've posted it before, but yes I have.

For two days I was out of food and cigarettes (back when I needed them) because the paycheck I expected on Friday didn't come until Monday.

Not Gandhi level suffering, but sure made for a miserable and memorable weekend. I was nineteen or thereabouts and haven't taken food for granted since.

Posts: 7495 | Registered: May 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I'm Pickle Rick!
Picture of Pickle Rick
posted Hide Post
As a child my father was out of the picture. Mom was the best. Me and my sister never knew we were poor, Mom made sure of that. Took some years for me to realize that fact. How I found out I was having supper at a friend's house and was surprised that there wasn't lumps at the bottom my glass of milk. Also didn't know cereal came in boxes. Year's later I asked Mom why she didn't get food stamps like everyone at the grocery store and we didn't ? She never answered. My Dad said Mom couldn't as she thought there were people that need them more than we did. Personally I am sure pride played a big part in her decision not to use them.

Posts: 2877 | Location: Lancaster, PA. | Registered: February 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've missed meals for a couple of days, not because food was not available, but because i didn't feel hungry or was to busy to eat.
Fortunate enough to never had a time where food wasn't available.
So I guess I'll vote neither.

Posts: 1041 | Location: New Jersey | Registered: August 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gone but Together Again.
Dad & Uncle
Picture of h2oys
posted Hide Post
As young children, my parents survived the Allied bombings of Germany during WW2. And "yes", the both knew hunger albeit my father more than my mother.

One of the saddest stories he shared was when he was sent to get their ration of 1 loaf of bread for the week. He was so hungry he ate the whole loaf on the way back so the others had nothing to eat. One other time all they had was an onion, so they all shared a raw onion.

Thereafter my father, as the oldest child, was sent out to fend for himself. The goal was to find generous farmers who might feed him. He was too young to be drafted/forced to join the military but just old enough that he might be able to go it alone.

He found others in the same boat so there were about 5 of them who lived this way until the wars end. They then went back to their bombed out homes and started anew.

Posts: 3734 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: November 24, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, I have been truly hungry.

For a period of time in the early 80’s, I hunted for food, small game.
I ate a lot of rabbit, squirrel, and duck. Beans and rice as well.

Had some hungry times while deployed in the Army as well.

Posts: 1072 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 20, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His diet consists of black
coffee, and sarcasm.
Picture of egregore
posted Hide Post
quote:
Have you ever been hungry?

Not that kind. I grew up well provided for (I like to joke that my upbringing was like the Norman Rockwell painting Freedom from Want), and even when I have had setbacks like losing a job, I have never skipped meals.

Posts: 27974 | Location: Johnson City, TN | Registered: April 28, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ugly Bag of
Mostly Water
Picture of ridgerat
posted Hide Post
To this day, I still buy Cup O’Soup and Ramen, just to have it on hand.

Endowment Life Member, NRA • Member of FPC, GOA, 2AF & Arizona Citizens Defense League

Posts: 2843 | Location: Marana, AZ | Registered: March 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
eh-TEE-oh-clez
Picture of Aeteocles
posted Hide Post
No, I've never been so broke that I didn't know where my next meal was coming from.

I took loans out for college and law school and have had credit since I was 18. I was self employed during my lean years, so I just hustled harder when I needed to make more money--never had to choose between rent and food, just between working more or less.

Posts: 13050 | Location: Orange County, California | Registered: May 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of cparktd
posted Hide Post
My Grandfather used to say he had never missed a meal, but had postponed a few.

I am blessed and have never been truly broke or hungry. I started working and saving while in grade school... earned what I got and took care of it.

I did get really really tired of drinking Ensure and yogurt to survive before they fixed a medical condition that pretty much prevented me from swallowing. I lost 70 lbs in about 5 months living on a liquid diet.

If it ain't woke... don't fix it.

Posts: 4130 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: February 07, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sig209:
quote:
Originally posted by mark123:
That doesn't count in this case. I'm talking zero food for more than three or four days.

that's not what your original question posed

re-read your original post

there are two options to respond to - doesn't say anything about 'zero food for more than three or four days...'

funny that you would ask Question A then discount responses that directly address the question

---------------------------------------

I read the OP's original post and took it for what he meant it. True "hunger". Not because of training or poor planning but, "dirt poor" hunger. That deep set eyes, swollen belly, hunger.

I've been blessed, I've never known "hunger".

Posts: 2044 | Registered: September 19, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Your interchange OP with the Ranger School grad was interesting to me as I would also cite that as the only time I was truly hungry.

I can also say that during a 5 day fast last year, I wasn’t truly hungry. Stored fat provides 3200 cals of the energy per pound. Nobody (typical American) is truly hungry by missing a meal or 2 or even by going days. It is psychological and hormonal, not true physical I'm starving hunger. I routinely go over 20 hours without eating and that includes any workouts that day as well.

Ive never felt hunger because I couldn’t afford to eat, have been very fortunate that way.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
My Mom didn't have a lot of money after my Dad had passed away and I put myself through college. Sometimes as it would get close to payday every other week from my job and funds were low, I would go without eating for a day or two. I learned to water down jello and live off a bowl of jello if I had to. Every Thursday night I would go to the Baptist Student Union for the free fried chicken dinner. They were the best meals I ate in college.

Posts: 1219 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Caribou gorn
Picture of YellowJacket
posted Hide Post
I have not but my parents and my older sister did in the few years leading up to my birth. My father was a pastor of a small upstart church then and we did have a few parishioners that would deliver groceries or take my mom shopping from time to time. But I never went without, thanks to God.

We also ate plenty of wild game and I even remember my dad going in our back yard in Stone Mountain, GA, which abutted a big gas right of way, and killing 4 or 5 doves with his shotgun for dinner one night.

I'm gonna vote for the funniest frog with the loudest croak on the highest log.

Posts: 10492 | Location: Marietta, GA | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
I voted NO. I was in a situation once when I'd been transferred and my military paychecks had not gotten forwarded yet and I didn't have cash. My out-of-state checkbook was no good, either. So for a few weeks I used my one credit card to buy sodas at a cooperative liquor store, which gave me small amounts of cash, too. I bought Der Wienerschnitzel hot dogs (19 cents each) for my meals. (This was in 1967.) Although it was inconvenient for a while and I didn't eat WELL, I did eat.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post