SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    my car was hit today.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

my car was hit today. Login/Join 
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
quote:
Curious. Explain?

Mandatory regulation that only a percentage of the population participates is a farce and scam.
I understand you wish to get into a disagreement over my statement, but I stand by it.

The insurance companies are in it to win it. And they are getting scammed at alarming rates as well. So those left in the middle are just funding both parties gigs and receiving virtually nothing of value for the privilege of paying premiums. How is that for an explanation?

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19709 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by old rugged cross:
quote:
Curious. Explain?

Mandatory regulation that only a percentage of the population participates is a farce and scam.
I understand you wish to get into a disagreement over my statement, but I stand by it.

The insurance companies are in it to win it. And they are getting scammed at alarming rates as well. So those left in the middle are just funding both parties gigs and receiving virtually nothing of value for the privilege of paying premiums. How is that for an explanation?

Approximately worthless.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raptorman
Picture of Mars_Attacks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
quote:
Originally posted by Mars_Attacks:
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
We actually pay extra for uninsured drivers.
Never had to use it, but talk about wrong...

UM only covers medical payment up to limit which is usually starts at $2500.

Incorrect.
You may be thinking of Medical Payments Coverage.

UMPD and UMBI take the place of the non-existent insurance, up to the limits of coverage.

Here in GA, UM is med pay only and your collision overs property.

No matter what, you are still on the hook for the deductible.

Been there seen it and done it several times with uninsured shitbags.

Oh and they get to sue you for their medicals too!

Eeewwww, don't touch it!
Here, poke at it with this stick.

Posts: 34395 | Location: North, GA | Registered: October 09, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
Jim, appreciate that your generation grew up in an era that insurance was a benefit and a value and indeed helped people on a regular basis.

It is a different world today and my statements stands for me and many others. If you open your eyes and even on the sf read others experiences by in large it is pretty obvious. And yes it is a scam.

And yes, the legal profession is a big recipient of a ton of business of the scam as well
So you guys chiming in is not a surprise Wink
Got to protect your own Smile

War Damn Eagle!
Picture of Snake207
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Snake207:
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by TBH:
We actually pay extra for uninsured drivers.
Never had to use it, but talk about wrong...

UM only covers medical payment up to limit which is usually starts at $2500.

Incorrect.
You may be thinking of Medical Payments Coverage.

UMPD and UMBI take the place of the non-existent insurance, up to the limits of coverage.

Here in GA, UM is med pay only and your collision overs property.

No matter what, you are still on the hook for the deductible.

Been there seen it and done it several times with uninsured shitbags.

Oh and they get to sue you for their medicals too!

You're still wrong.

I was an auto adjuster for 8 years, including being licensed in and handled claim in the State of GA. I've been in the industry for 17.

Uninsured/Underinsured motorist coverage takes the place of insurance that either doesn't exists, or is insufficient to cover the loss, respectively. This includes pain and suffering on the BI side of things.

I have never hear of any state where the UMBI coverage only pays for the medical bills. That's know is Personal Injury Protection (PIP) coverage which isn't applicable to GA.

Medical Payments (MP) coverage does exactly that, pay for 1st party medical bills. Why would Georgia call a line of coverage UMBI, when it does the exact same thing as MP?

Why does the GA Dept of Insurance and a GA ambulance chaser picked at random mention Uninsured Motorist Property Damage if you have to use your Collision coverage to fix your car?

https://www.oci.ga.gov/Externa...age%20Explantion.pdf

http://www.jasonschultzpc.com/...erage-in-georgia.cfm

(I will admit I've seen some carriers offer deductibles on UMPD coverage, only as a means of lowering a premium.)

And pain and suffering in relation to UM coverage?
(Last paragraph)

https://www.hmrattorney.com/ex...d-motorist-coverage/

Something that may have come into play in your situation would be liability.
GA is what's known as a Modified 49% state. Any party 50% or more at-fault/negligent is barred from recovery from the other party.
If you had to use your MP and Collision coverage, sounds like your adjuster though you liable for some of the loss.

Posts: 12550 | Location: Realville | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Jim, appreciate that your generation grew up in an era that insurance was a benefit and a value and indeed helped people on a regular basis.

It is a different world today and my statements stands for me and many others. If you open your eyes and even on the sf read others experiences by in large it is pretty obvious. And yes it is a scam.

And yes, the legal profession is a big recipient of a ton of business of the scam as well
So you guys chiming in is not a surprise Wink
Got to protect your own Smile

Ignorance is bliss, superstition, too.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
and so in dishonesty my friend.

posted Hide Post
quote:
sorry Gene.

I will use this opportunity to express my opinion that insurance is nothing more than a scam. A huge scam. Whether is be home, car, life or otherwise.

I second that

Posts: 1184 | Location: Upstate  | Registered: January 11, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
People who drive without insurance are scum of the earth. Hit me without insurance? It should be legal for me to take the tire iron and crush your worthless scull.

Posts: 2222 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: February 25, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
and so in dishonesty my friend.

If you are insinuating that I am dishonest, trot out the details, or STFU.

Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Scuba Steve Sig:
Been there, done that. Here's what will happen:

1. Your insurance gets it fixed, you're out your deductible.
2. Your insurance subrogation (or their contractor) will send him some letters and phone calls.
3. Subrogation MIGHT get his license suspended if their was a police report.
4a. Subrogation will get some money and you get your deductible back first.
4b. Subrogation will give up and let you know, sorry, have at it if you want.
5. You get his license suspended either through filing the police report to your licensing authority or obtain a small claims judgment against him and file that.
6a. He may decide to have a license and make payment arrangements with you.
6b. He adds no license to no insurance, no tags and you never get paid.

I can assure you your insurance company will not sue him for subrogation on a no-injury accident unless possibly you have 5 digit damages to your car.

Use this opportunity to examine your own insurance coverage. Do you have adequate uninsured and underinsured coverage? It will usually match your liability coverage. If that guy seriously maimed or killed you, that's how much money you would have to cover your injuries from the situation Mr. Judgmentproof caused.

This is more or less right although the terminology isn't used quite properly. Whether anyone's licenses or auto registrations can be suspended or not renewed will depend entirely on your state's laws about such things. That can vary widely from state to state.

It is unlikely that your insurer will sue him over the accident to re-coup any part of the loss. This guy is likely to be damn near judgment proof, and the damages are small enough that the costs of litigation make it a poor use of resources.

"Can I make this right?" If you can give me $10,000 in cash, that will do it.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53238 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 08 Cayenne
posted Hide Post
Happened to me a couple years ago. Never got a penny. My insurance company sent the other guy a certified letter, which he refused, and that was the end of it. Guy was a turnip or I would have gone after him. Didn't want to throw good money after bad.

Posts: 1593 | Location: Ohio | Registered: May 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
posted Hide Post
So Jim, you call my opinion worthless. Then you call me ignorant. And then you tell me to stfu.

Ok Jim. I do wish you well.

Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
I appreciate all the informative responses, I've learned some things, thank you all.

I greatly appreciate and admire JAllen and Old Rugged Cross, so I'm just going to ask that you take it to email so the mods won't lock this thread Thank you both.

I realize I need to revisit my insurance terms and change to better protect me. I appreciate all of you.

Gene

Posts: 11983 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
Calling 911, for a dented car?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Floyd D. Barber:

Yes of course. It's an accident. State law and such.

And this will require multiple thousands of dollars and probably close to 2 weeks in the body shop.

And of course once you find out the other party has no insurance and an expired tag, I think you have a civic and moral duty to immediately notify the police before the illegal has a chance to hit the road again and endanger others.

Won't you agree?

Posts: 11983 | Location: Near Hooker Oklahoma, closer to Slapout Oklahoma | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unhyphenated American
Picture of Floyd D. Barber
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
quote:

And this will require multiple thousands of dollars and probably close to 2 weeks in the body shop.

And of course once you find out the other party has no insurance and an expired tag, I think you have a civic and moral duty to immediately notify the police before the illegal has a chance to hit the road again and endanger others.

Won't you agree?

Somehow, doesn't seem like an emergency. Are you suggesting immediate danger of injury or loss of life?

__________________________________________________________________________________
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Always remember that others may hate you but those who hate you don't win unless you hate them. And then you destroy yourself.
Richard M Nixon

It's nice to be important, it's more important to be nice.
Billy Joe Shaver

NRA Life Member

Posts: 7353 | Location: Between the Moon and New York City. | Registered: November 27, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Won't you agree?

Somehow, doesn't seem like an emergency. Are you suggesting immediate danger of injury or loss of life?

lol. very odd trolling. funny though.

Posts: 5405 | Registered: April 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

Won't you agree?
Yes, no, and maybe. I agree 110% that the uninsured driver with no valid registration for the vehicle should not be allowed to go forth and do it again.

However, 911 might not be necessary. Our fair city has a non-emergency number for the po-po. Use it for accidents with no injuries. A Community Service Officer (whatever that is) will likely respond and do the paperwork.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 31385 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What kind of insurance do you have? Have you considered lowering your deductible?

I have full coverage on my car (2016 Chevy Equinox) and a $250 deductible costs me $120/mo. Maybe that's high, but I used to pay $150/mo for a $1000 deductible with American Family.

May our caskets be made of hundred-year oak, and may we plant those trees tomorrow.

Posts: 815 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: January 03, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post