SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Smooth top range quesitons UPDATE Page 2
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Smooth top range quesitons UPDATE Page 2 Login/Join 
posted
I finally broke down and replaced my 18 year old stove and microwave this weekend with a new whirlpool set and have one question...

One of the large burners seems yo "cycle" on and off a lot compare to the others, like every few seconds and it took forever to heat a pot of soup...what is normal for cycling on these?

This may be a moot point as I need to chat with Lowes in AM...Microwave turntable is making a loud clicking and works intermittently (yes I checked to see how it was seated) and the door sensor seems only as I have to open and shut the door to get to to work at times. Then, tonight when we used stove for first time my wife noticed some deep gouges and a weird stain on it that will not polish off and the oven door appears warped.

Nothing is ever easy

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Kevmo,

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
new whirlpool set
Are you certain about these being new? Stains, warped doors, things not working properly sounds like returned items.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23296 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
new whirlpool set
Are you certain about these being new? Stains, warped doors, things not working properly sounds like returned items.

That is a very good point..in fact the morning of the delivery they called telling me they couldn't find the stove and asked me if I had it (wtf?), then, after they brought it is I noticed that the top was filthy (which is why I noticed no scratches...tonight was the first time I cleaned and tried to use it....I am assuming a new range would have a plastic protector on the cook top which would nee to be removed?

Posts: 3987 | Location: Peoria, AZ | Registered: November 07, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man Once
Child Twice
posted Hide Post
On my Maytag the burners cycle on and off a lot. The higher the heat, the more it’s on. Less heat, less time on.

Posts: 11148 | Location: NE OHIO | Registered: October 22, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I would firmly request TWO NEW replacements!

Would settle for nothing less.

Posts: 10056 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigfest:
On my Maytag the burners cycle on and off a lot. The higher the heat, the more it’s on. Less heat, less time on.

This, I have a new Whirlpool gold slide in range. Also some pots seem to work a lot better than others. They all work fine, but some will disperse the heat better and the burner will stay on for longer periods of time and get to desired temperature faster. It goes on and off to keep the glass at the desired temp.

I use the Weimans cooktop cleaner cream to clean mine. Also use a level and level it pretty level with the rear a touch higher than the front, before sliding it in and then adjust the front legs to level it once it's in, otherwise having a little liquid in pans will annoy the hell out of you if it's all on one side.

I too would request them to exchange them both especially if the cooktop had stained on stuff on it.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I caught lowes selling me a used refrigerator as new. When I found out a couple of years later, they replaced it the next day no questions asked.

I found out when I call the manufacturer for service and it was registered to someone else.

Posts: 4743 | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
LYou have to be careful about scratches on the glass cooktop-they can cause it to shatter from thermal expansion and contraction. Cast iron with a sharp edge can cause those gouges if dragged across the range top. The owner’s manual will have a lot of important cautions about permissible types of cookware.

We bought one of those glass top stoves years ago without knowing what we were getting into and regret having done so.

Posts: 26923 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by arfmel:
LYou have to be careful about scratches on the glass cooktop-they can cause it to shatter from thermal expansion and contraction. Cast iron with a sharp edge can cause those gouges if dragged across the range top. The owner’s manual will have a lot of important cautions about permissible types of cookware.

We bought one of those glass top stoves years ago without knowing what we were getting into and regret having done so.

This much I did know and I actually bought a complete new set of cookware that was "smooth top safe" and that did not arrive until Sunday

posted Hide Post
The big burner might have a dual setting. The heating ring might have a small and large heating area.

Posts: 5424 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA, USA | Registered: February 27, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
You bought new,should have came in factory box,you got delivered a dirty used one,is this what I am assuming here.
Time to have a talk with corporate and demand money back or something to your satisfaction.
You have been flim-flammed

Posts: 22410 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
I just ordered one, I'm scared about scratching the expensive top or etching it with spills.

What makes the pots and pans glass top safe?

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
Pots/pans with a flat smooth bottom, mostly. We use stainless steel like Farberware or Revereware.

As I recall, ceramic covered pots and pans (like LeCreuset) are verboten, as well.

Posts: 26923 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skins2881:
I just ordered one, I'm scared about scratching the expensive top or etching it with spills.

When shopping most pans will say what cooktops they are compatible with

posted Hide Post
UPDATE - I spoke to the manager at Lowes this am and what was surprising and suspicious is he offered zero resistance when I said I wanted new stuff. I then caught them in a lie because in Saturday I was told that he went out back and found my stove but today he admitted they got it from another store as they ran out

Picture of Rev. A. J. Forsyth
posted Hide Post
I really dislike the flat-top / induction stoves. We had one for awhile and promptly sold it. Too delicate and high maintenance for serious cooking. You need special cookware, special cleaners, and the thing always looks like shit. I would return for gas, if you don't have gas lines, get the old coil burner type.

Posts: 1639 | Location: Winston-Salem  | Registered: April 01, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kevmo:
quote:

When shopping most pans will say what cooktops they are compatible with

I'm using 20 year old stainless stuff, not sure if glass tops existed then. Also occasionally use non stick, but I can look that one up probably because they are newer.

I don't own any cast iron.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20831 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
I think our glass top is 18 to 20 years old. Old stainless pans inherited from grandma are what we’re using.

אַרְיֵה
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
quote:

I'm using 20 year old stainless stuff, not sure if glass tops existed then.
We had a glass top in the house that we bought in 1975. A Frigidaire, in the yellow color that was popular back then.

No mechanical controls, it was all touchpad, on the back panel, where you had to reach over anything that was cooking on the surface.

הרחפת שלי מלאה בצלופחים

Posts: 30704 | Location: Central Florida, Orlando area | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
quote:

I'm using 20 year old stainless stuff, not sure if glass tops existed then.
We had a glass top in the house that we bought in 1975. A Frigidaire, in the yellow color that was popular back then.

No mechanical controls, it was all touchpad, on the back panel, where you had to reach over anything that was cooking on the surface.

OK I'm no stove expert, the one I'm replacing is from 1964 (was still working when I gutted kitchen). First ever stove purchase.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis