SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    In other news, Federal appeals court blocks all of Biden's student loan debt handout plan
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

In other news, Federal appeals court blocks all of Biden's student loan debt handout plan Login/Join 
Oriental Redneck
Picture of 12131
posted
That's a shame.

https://www.foxbusiness.com/po...an-debt-handout-plan
The ruling comes after a lower court judge blocked portions of Biden's student loan handout last month

Published July 18, 2024 3:24pm EDT

A federal appeals court on Thursday issued a ruling that blocks the Biden administration from continuing to implement a new version of its student loan debt handout plan that is designed to reduce monthly payments for borrowers.

The U.S. Eighth Circuit Court of Appeals granted a request by seven Republican states to block portions of the Education Department's plan that a lower court judge hadn't previously blocked.

Last month, a U.S. District Court in St. Louis blocked the agency from moving forward with granting additional student loan forgiveness under the Biden administration's Saving on a Valuable Education (SAVE) plan – though it didn't block all elements of the plan.

The SAVE plan offers more generous terms for borrowers enrolled in income-driven repayment plans by reducing monthly payments for eligible borrowers who meet income criteria and forgiving the debt borrowers whose original principal balances were $12,000 or less after a 10 year period.

State attorneys general led by Missouri's Andrew Bailey asked the 8th Circuit to block the rest of the SAVE plan last week after portions of it were put on hold by the district court.

The court granted that request with a one-page ruling that imposed an administrative stay on the remainder of the SAVE plan with Thursday's ruling.

"The Court granted our emergency motion to BLOCK Joe Biden's entire illegal student loan plan, which would have saddled working Americans with half-a-trillion dollars in Ivy League debt," Bailey wrote in a post on X, formerly Twitter. "HUGE win for every American who still believes in paying their own way."

An Education Department spokesperson told FOX Business, "We are assessing the impacts of this ruling and will be in touch directly with borrowers with any impacts that affect them."

"Our Administration will continue to aggressively defend the SAVE Plan – which has been helping over 8 million borrowers access lower monthly payments, including 4.5 million borrowers who have had a zero dollar payment each month," the statement continued. "And, we won’t stop fighting against Republican elected officials’ efforts to raise costs on millions of their own constituents’ student loan payments."

Q

Posts: 27447 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 04, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
Good. Another win and another kick to Biden’s balls

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In still more other news, this same 8th Circuit ruled yesterday that Minnesota's law forbidding issuance of conceal carry permits to 18 through 20-year old citizens is indeed very much unconstitutional, upholding a lower court's earlier ruling. You're old enough to choose a president. You're old enough to defend our country. But you're NOT old enough to defend yourself when out in public. A big win for the 2A, as it should be.

I think I like this 8th Circuit.

-MG

Posts: 2188 | Location: The commie, rainy side of WA | Registered: April 19, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Prefontaine
posted Hide Post
Good. I’m tired of this generation of pussies thinking they can charge the fuck out of everything available for the collegiate lifestyle. Fancy out of state college, fancy new i device watch, phone, ipad, laptop. And the Cancun trips for Spring Break. As soon as it time to start paying your country back what you borrowed you whine and bitch and say it should be free. Fuck you. I graduated with 2 degrees and had $17k in debt when finished. The day I got the letter stating “Congratulations. Your student loan is now paid in full. Please retain a copy of this for your records.” This was 10X better than receiving my degrees. One of my proudest days and these little bitches want it all expunged. Nah, you charged it up, you pay it. You could have stayed close(r) to home, hit JC up, then attended an in state university and saved yourself a got damn fortune. That’s on you clowns Wink

What am I doing? I'm talking to an empty telephone

Posts: 12907 | Location: Down South | Registered: January 16, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
As Extraordinary
as Everyone Else
Picture of smlsig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Prefontaine:
Good. I’m tired of this generation of pussies thinking they can charge the fuck out of everything available for the collegiate lifestyle. Fancy out of state college, fancy new i device watch, phone, ipad, laptop. And the Cancun trips for Spring Break. As soon as it time to start paying your country back what you borrowed you whine and bitch and say it should be free. Fuck you. I graduated with 2 degrees and had $17k in debt when finished. The day I got the letter stating “Congratulations. Your student loan is now paid in full. Please retain a copy of this for your records.” This was 10X better than receiving my degrees. One of my proudest days and these little bitches want it all expunged. Nah, you charged it up, you pay it. You could have stayed close(r) to home, hit JC up, then attended an in state university and saved yourself a got damn fortune. That’s on you clowns Wink

Couldn’t agree more!
I put myself through college and grad school without any one’s help and made sure my kids didn’t have to face the financial burden once they graduated. It took a lot of financial discipline over a long period of time but we did it.

------------------
Eddie

Our Founding Fathers were men who understood that the right thing is not necessarily the written thing. -kkina

Posts: 6461 | Location: In transit | Registered: February 19, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Step by step walk the thousand mile road
Picture of Sig2340
posted Hide Post
Even my uber liberal transsexual child who would come out ahead about $12k of debt erased opposed this giveaway.

Why?

Child-san worked through school. Took 8 AP classes for college credit to drop a year off the time at university. Filled out 75 scholarship applications each year. This was their initiative.

Nice is overrated

"It's every freedom-loving individual's duty to lie to the government."
Airsoftguy, June 29, 2018

Posts: 31962 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of downtownv
posted Hide Post
A win for the taxpayers!

https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...050018905#1050018905

Posts: 8652 | Location: 18 miles long, 6 Miles at Sea | Registered: January 22, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I love it when dictators get their nose rubbed in it.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29899 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Political Cynic
Picture of nhtagmember
posted Hide Post
I suspect most of them are going to default because other than completing a few multiple choice tests I’m willing to bet none of them have ever heard of the term ‘work’

This is going to be great to watch them crash and burn

Posts: 53750 | Location: Tucson Arizona | Registered: January 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Dumb ass is going to forget and issue issue student loan bailouts again next week. Unsure if he forgets or it's utter contempt for the constitution and law making process for this country. Either way he will have a new bailout in the coming weeks.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 21094 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wrightd
posted Hide Post
Probably both seriously.

Lover of the US Constitution
Wile E. Coyote School of DIY Disaster

Posts: 8906 | Location: Nowhere the constitution is not honored | Registered: February 01, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
This entire loan forgiveness thing pisses me off. I worked my way through school, working two jobs. That meant I had to stay local & didn't get my choice of colleges. I started in community college and knocked out every 100-200 level class I could.

If I wasn't in class I was working. If I wasn't working I was on duty. If I wasn't in class, working or on duty I was studying. If I was lucky I got maybe 1 night a month to spend time with some friends doing 'college life' stuff. But given I had to be at work or on duty the next day early.... not too much fun. When you're paying ever dollar for every credit and working your butt off to do it, you damn well study hard.

I never had a lot of respect for the grant and loan kids who were partying their butts off as someone else was paying for everything at that moment. My solace was the piper would demand payment at some point and then a lot of bad decisions would become evident.

I ended up with a good education and a lot of very good life lessons to back that up. I did it all myself. So Mr. Biden... are you going to pay me back for all of the time I spent busting my butt to NOT take out a loan I'd struggle to pay back. Or are you going to do the typical Democrat thing, reward those who made bad decisions at the expense of those who did it right?

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38187 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of uvahawk
posted Hide Post
Glad to see this news. Decades ago, I was fortunate enough my second year of college to receive an ROTC scholarship which covered tuition and books, plus provided a small monthly stipend. During the summers I worked. Fast forward many years, whenever parents I knew complained about the cost of college, I suggested that their child join ROTC which at that time would pay their tuition. The parents did not appreciate the suggestion.

Posts: 221 | Location: Low Country, South Carolina | Registered: November 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
quote:
I ended up with a good education and a lot of very good life lessons to back that up. I did it all myself. So Mr. Biden... are you going to pay me back for all of the time I spent busting my butt to NOT take out a loan I'd struggle to pay back. Or are you going to do the typical Democrat thing, reward those who made bad decisions at the expense of those who did it right?

Right there with you. I had a job from day 1, academic scholarships, minimal loans, and was working full-time by my junior year. I watched kids on my hall buy cars and pay for spring break trips with money out of their student account...which was only available to them because they had student loans. I knew kids who actually took out loans they didn't need just so they'd have the money to buy that stuff. In contrast, I worked through spring breaks and summers and used it as an opportunity to pick up overtime.

I paid off a lot of my loans while I was still in school, and my last one 6 months after graduation. I agree with Prefontaine...watching that balance go to zero was a better feeling than getting my diploma.

I've got no sympathy for those saddled with student debt. They knew what they were getting into, had the same opportunities that I did to mitigate it, and made a conscious choice to party it up and spend beyond their means. It was bad enough watching it in college...now asking me to pay for it through taxes and inflation is just like a kick in the balls. I'll never vote for anyone who advocates that bullshit.

Posts: 9166 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I went to an expensive elite college and paid it all back by the time I was 40. I had a grant for graduate school and paid that back with five years of free work.

Posts: 17478 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post