Find
Notify
Tools

Glen Campbell Login/Join 
Picture of Mr. Peteroniman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6guns:
Agree about Roy Clark. He was phenomenal!

I saw a show with Roy where he played 2 different songs on the guitar and sang a third - at the same time

pretty sure he could play anything with strings on it

and if we're going on trip on the Way Back Machine, then I would like to throw in Chet Adkins

-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-

All his life he tried to be a good person. Many times, however, he failed.
For after all, he was only human. He wasn't a dog.”
― Charles M. Schulz

Posts: 2014 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: June 25, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Altitude Minimum
Picture of BOATTRASH1
posted Hide Post
Wichita Lineman is my all time favorite song. When I need to calm down I listen to Glen Campbell.

Posts: 1225 | Location: Shalimar, FL | Registered: January 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by oddball:
Glen Campbell is one of my top 5 guitarists of all time.

Indeed, I don't think anyone could touch him in his prime. He was also by all accounts a wonderful person as well as an amazing guitarist.

I'd add the late Randy Rhoades to that list of top 5. Different style of music. The top comment is worth reading on this youtube vid.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3LvhdFEOqs

Posts: 1925 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
In the yahd, not too
fah from the cah
Picture of ryan81986
posted Hide Post
He was also great on the bagpipes as well.

Posts: 6351 | Location: Just outside of Boston | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
We saw Glen at one of his very last public performances. Second to last concert iirc. He played and sang nearly flawlessly, but his Alzheimer's was quite apparent. His daughter kept him on track and it was a really touching experience for everyone.

Posts: 9462 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bendable:
Glenn Cambell, Jerry Reed,

It's a tie.

add Roy Clark,

Country was a constant (and Jazz, odd combo) in my house as a kid, and I got to the point I would not stand country music, but as I have aged I have realized how grateful I was to have been exposed to it back then, and find myself appreciating the 60/70's stuff by those 3,

all were excellent guitarist,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10427 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What a great performer he was! I can't recall the
year it was, but then President Gerald Ford sat in the front row and I was backstage with Glen's sound
engineer. Suddenly Tanya Tucker, Glen's lady friend at the time suddenly, and unexpectedly arrived backstage. Glen's sound engineer told me
"this might be trouble" but it all turned out OK
and Glen and Tanya sang a duet together. That was
one of my days in the U.S. Secret Service.

Posts: 248 | Location: West Michigan | Registered: November 12, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
He truly was one of the GOAT's of guitarists.
I hope he is not forgotten.
We normally thing of the greats as rock or blues stars but Glen held his weight with all of them.

Posts: 22925 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My best friend saw Glen in Jonesboro, Arkansas, on his final tour when dementia was wrecking him. By this point, he didn't fully understand where he was and his daughter helped get him through the show while he was performing.

My friend said the man never missed a lick. Not a string. Not a sour note. Not a forgotten lyric. He was a master guitarist, even with dementia.

Posts: 1093 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: September 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
in the end karma
always catches up
posted Hide Post
I’ll have to listen to his music. Supposedly he is a distant relative of some type.

" The people shall have a right to bear arms, for the defense of themselves and the State" Art 1 Sec 32 Indiana State Constitution

YAT-YAS

Posts: 3694 | Location: Northwest, In | Registered: December 03, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Ozarkwoods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by OKCGene:
I have the DVD of him in concert with the South Dakota Orchestra. It's really good, the orchestra adds a lot to his performance.

I believe the full concert. One of my favorite performers.

Video of concert

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 4840 | Location: SWMO | Registered: October 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post