SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Saint Lucia (or any tropical paradise location) any advice needed on best beaches to fly/sail into ??
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Saint Lucia (or any tropical paradise location) any advice needed on best beaches to fly/sail into ?? Login/Join 
Semper Fidelis Marines
posted
we (fiancee' ) are booked for Jan 2025 and looking for advice on SL but are also open to other locations.. We will be staying at Sandals (or some other similar all inclusive) and I would MAYBE venture off the resort site, I am a big cigar guy so hoping to get a Cuban or two

I am going to get a burner phone and I think I may have to have a passport?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: golddot,

thanks, shawn
Semper Fi,
---->>> EXCUSE TYPOS<<<---

Posts: 3350 | Location: TEXAS! | Registered: February 15, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think I may have to have a passport?

Technically for a cruise to Mexico that starts and returns to the USA you would not need a passport.

But get one anyway in case something happens and you have to get off the ship and fly home. Shit happens and it's best to have options.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11106 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
Check with your cruise line or TA.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
I mean, if it were me I'd scuba dive the f*(k out of those two spots but that's me. Bring your own mask, snorkel, and fins for everyone even if snorkeling and try all that out in advance to make sure it all works for everyone. Renting for that stuff blows.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 2081 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I spent a week in Cozumel, and dove and dove and dove. Just free dove, no scuba. Breathtaking location, and the food on Cozumel was excellent. Nice and friendly people.

I also brought my own mask, fins, and snorkel.

-c1steve

Posts: 4121 | Location: West coast | Registered: March 31, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by radioman:
quote:
I think I may have to have a passport?

Technically for a cruise to Mexico that starts and returns to the USA you would not need a passport.

But get one anyway in case something happens and you have to get off the ship and fly home. Shit happens and it's best to have options.

This is correct provided the cruise starts and leaves from the same port (Called a Closed Loop Cruise). But I agree, get the passport. It's piece of mind. That being said, you can cross the border from Mexico pretty easily without any documentation, if you were to get stranded this year.

Years ago I did a swim with the dolphins in Cozumel. It was disappointing because the dolphins were all beat up on the snout and we were told they are always trying to escape the fence. The shopping plaza in Cozumel was crap with people hounding you.

I recall Roatan being nice, and snorkeling is really good there apparently. I don't recall if we snorkeled there or not.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12605 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
and the food on Cozumel was excellent
Just don't drink the water. And don't forget the ice in your margarita came from the water.

Posts: 9297 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No More
Mr. Nice Guy
posted Hide Post
It is totally tourist. It is what it is. Staying on the ship is a good option, with everyone else ashore you will have more peaceful lounging at the pool, etc. And your food and drinks are already paid for.

We did a beach resort in Cozumel a year ago. Unlimited drinks and food, a table, palm trees, and the ocean. It was fine. Everyone there had come off a cruise ship.

Either option is good, just pick the one that feels like more fun to you.

Posts: 9755 | Location: On the mountain off the grid | Registered: February 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
I'm not trying to be funny. Thoroughly check your bags for any loose ammo, shell casings, and what nots.

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 20079 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am going to get a burner phone

I didn't really understand the reason for the burner phone.

Why a burner phone?

I guess you will use it while in port, although there is (expensive) cell service on many (most?) cruises now.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 11106 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances with Wiener Dogs
Picture of XinTX
posted Hide Post
Was married in Cozumel. Love that place. It's more touristy now than years ago, but most places are. Cruise ships don't spend a lot of time there. If I could do one thing, I'd rent a scooter or buggy and drive around the south end and go the windward side. Less developed over there. Go to Bob Marley's Place. We like to lay in the hammock and they'll bring you beer. You don't even have to get up.

And there are some really good restaurants in Cozumel.

“The only power any government has is the power to crack down on criminals. Well, when there aren't enough criminals, one makes them. One declares so many things to be a crime that it becomes impossible for men to live without breaking laws.” Ayn Rand

“If we relinquish our rights because of fear, what is it exactly, then, we are fighting for?” Sen. Rand Paul

Posts: 8365 | Registered: July 21, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Speling Champ
posted Hide Post
Make sure there’s no ammo in you bags…

Posts: 1625 | Location: Utah | Registered: July 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 71 TRUCK
posted Hide Post
Look into Travel Insurance.
There are lots of story's on Youtube about what happened to people who did not have Travel Insurance and needed it while on a cruise/vacation to a foreign country.

Do you know what pier you are docking at?

The Second Amendment to the United States Constitution.

A well regulated militia being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.

As ratified by the States and authenticated by Thomas Jefferson, Secretary of State

NRA Life Member

Posts: 2639 | Location: Central Florida, south of the mouse | Registered: March 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
Definitely get off the boat and enjoy the places. I've been to Mexico a few times but just briefly in Cozumel.

I've also been to Rotan a few times for SCUBA trips. Never been to the cruise ship area though. The tourist areas of both places are fairly safe.

Not sure why you need a burner phone. Just put your phone in airplane mode. Many restaurants will have wifi if you want to connect and check things.

While you may not need a passport for the cruise I suggest you get one.

Have some US cash in smaller bills but never open a wallet with a load of cash for others to see. When I've visited both places I've always had a few hundred in cash. American cash never hurts to have if something goes sideway but I think your be 100% safe.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16452 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just for the
hell of it
Picture of comet24
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by XinTX:

And there are some really good restaurants in Cozumel.

Not Cozumel but I've had some great meals in the Yucatan Peninsula for less then half what you would pay here.

Because in the end, you won’t remember the time you spent working in the office or mowing your lawn. Climb that goddamn mountain. Jack Kerouac

Posts: 16452 | Registered: March 27, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Rick Lee
posted Hide Post
I took a cruise there in Nov., 2019 and loved it. And I hate everything. I wandered off into some dingy alleyways and found some great food and markets. I will do it again someday.

Posts: 3692 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
Been to both places, more often Cozumel. Great SCUBA. No need for a burner? I remember staying on Anthony’s Key in Roatan and having the cruise people come and observe us getting ready to go out on a dive.. a little weird, like we were part of the experience for them..

In Cozumel, good food is everywhere, and stay in the touristy areas, you shouldn’t have too much trouble. Street hawking is the worst of it, but I do stay away from main downtown when the cruceros are at dock, so I might not be seeing some things. Don’t look for trouble, and it won’t find you. Lots of nice people, and most speak some inglés. Be cautious if you rent a vehicle. Driving is still a bit nuts (we typically rent a car). I agree with heading over to the other side if you want to get away from it all, and a cab could take you there, too. Cab drivers are also typically pretty honest, but you can check a few for pricing, and if you “habla”, or at least try to, more respect is shown. I always enjoy taking cabs because I chat up the cab driver and find out more about the island every time.

It’s a bit more “Caribbean” feeling than “Mexican” feeling, if you ask me. That island knows its industry, and has people from all over the whole world visit regularly, mostly to SCUBA. Plenty of expats, too. No idea how it works for cruise ships, but I haven’t had trouble coming or going by plane.
You’ll have a great time.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: irreverent,

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Anthony's Key Resort on Roatan. Thank me later.

https://youtu.be/HSEtqYb8bDM?si=o4eoZBfJIdbL2qFy

Posts: 3167 | Location: Loudoun VA | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

I have been here for almost a week, about to do my 13th and 14th dive this morning. Rode by Anthony's Key a few times on the dive boat and that operation is big. They have 14 big dive boats moored out front. They have a dolphin show as well.

Posts: 2007 | Location: DFW Texas | Registered: March 13, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eye on the
Silver Lining
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by straightshooter01:
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

I have been here for almost a week, about to do my 13th and 14th dive this morning. Rode by Anthony's Key a few times on the dive boat and that operation is big. They have 14 big dive boats moored out front. They have a dolphin show as well.

Not a super big operation when I was firstthere, certainly no dolphin show, but I loved the huts on the separate island, and the welcome drinks and camaraderie the facility provided.

It was a group experience, and our old divemaster used to bring a group every year he could. At dinner, we all ate the same meal, and they had a big screen where we could watch the day’s dives. It was the first place I remember seeing leafcutter ants. Looks a lot fancier now!

"Trust, but verify."

Posts: 5506 | Registered: October 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post