SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Kindergarteners ‘woozy’ after drinking margaritas at Michigan school By Patrick Reilly April 1
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Kindergarteners ‘woozy’ after drinking margaritas at Michigan school By Patrick Reilly April 1 Login/Join 
posted
Multiple kindergarteners were left feeling loopy after sipping ready-to-drink Jose Cuervo margaritas that a young girl brought to her Michigan school and shared with her classmates.

The students drank the cocktails from Dixie Cups during snack time at Grand River Academy in Livonia on Friday, according to Fox 2 Detroit.

Mothers Alexis Smith’s and another mom, Dominique Zanders, were outraged when they learned that their daughters had each had several sips of the drink.

“She felt woozy, a little dizzy,” Zanders said of her daughter.

“The girl poured it in her cup and she drank it and the girl ended up telling her what it is, and she went and told the teacher there is liquor in this cup, and the teacher gave her a funny face,” Zanders said.

The girl reportedly brought the beverage to school in her backpack.

Smith said her daughter took four or five sips of the drink and told her that her classmate who brought the drink knew that it was booze.

The school said the student could be disciplined if necessary. Parents were immediately notified after the incident.

“While we try to keep an eye on everything our students bring to school, that’s simply not possible,” the school said in a statement addressing the in-class alcohol consumption.

“It’s unfortunate that these types of adult beverages can be easily mistaken for child-friendly drinks,” the school said.

While some parents blamed the school, others blamed the parents of the girl who brought the margarita mix to school for the incident.

“If your child knows what it is, nothing wrong with it – but they should know not to touch it,” Smith said. “That it’s not for kids.”

link: https://nypost.com/2022/04/16/...-at-michigan-school/

Posts: 17285 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Tinker Sailor Soldier Pie
Picture of Balzé Halzé
posted Hide Post
quote:
“The girl poured it in her cup and she drank it and the girl ended up telling her what it is, and she went and told the teacher there is liquor in this cup, and the teacher gave her a funny face,” Zanders said.

The teacher be like ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

~Alan

Acta Non Verba
NRA Life Member (Patron)
God, Family, Guns, Country

Men will fight and die to protect women... because women protect everything else. ~Andrew Klavan

"Once there was only dark. If you ask me, light is winning." ~Rust Cohle

Posts: 30450 | Location: Elv. 7,000 feet, Utah | Registered: October 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Balzé Halzé:
...be like...
ick, Mr. Halze. ick

Posts: 107763 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
quote:
While some parents blamed the school, others blamed the parents of the girl who brought the margarita mix to school for the incident.

Oddly enough the ones who blame the school are often the ones outraged if their child is searched.

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 38011 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I Deal In Lead
Picture of Flash-LB
posted Hide Post
quote:

I got news. That wasn't margarita mix, it was mixed margaritas.

Posts: 10626 | Location: Gilbert Arizona | Registered: March 21, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

As long as we're being pedantic, it's technically "Ready to Drink margarita" as the shitty margarita mix and tequila are already mixed together in the bottle.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23336 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If not for the innerwebz, this would not be news. Kids getting access to liquor happens quite frequently. And it's not the fault of the packaging. Liquor, guns, matches, etc. should be secured from children's access.

Posts: 17153 | Location: Lexington, KY | Registered: October 15, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of HayesGreener
posted Hide Post
There was much laughter on the playground, and long naps at nap time....

CMSGT USAF (Retired)
Chief of Police (Retired)

Posts: 4359 | Location: Florida Panhandle | Registered: September 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
The article I read was that it was Margarita MIX which is basically lime juice and sugar isn’t it?

The stuff that you add the tequila to, not an alcoholic drink.

Just more sensational BS

Posts: 33902 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
Just more sensational BS

Or, more likely, they actually did get woozy from drinking pre-mixed margarita and tatortodd is right. It’s just shitty writing on the part of the reporter, who probably doesn’t know any better. Let’s just say I’m very familiar with that stuff. Costco makes and sells the best of the worst, and there’s no actual tequila in it, it’s malt liquor.

Posts: 17232 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well it is the New York Post, home of fine journalism. I posted this for a change of pace. Hayes understood in his post.

Posts: 17285 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
If this would have happened when most all of us were in Kinderschule, it would have been a visit from the nurse to the affected room to look at the kids to see no one was in bad condition, calls to parents to pick up kids, one kid's parent called to have a meet with the Principal, and letters sent home with the kids on the issue and not to bring anymore booze.

That would be about the extent of it. No meltdown, not "zOMG! The chirrenz!!!".
A young child, not fully cognizant of their actions, doing a thing a young child is likely to do, without malice. Sure, they might understand what booze and intoxication is, to a small degree.

But no one bats an eye about Drag Queens reading to pre-pubescent children, books about "Dick and Vee Jane Swap Parts" and other crap that kids don't need pushed on them by adults.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43926 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tatortodd:
quote:
Originally posted by Flash-LB:
quote:

As long as we're being pedantic, it's technically "Ready to Drink margarita" as the shitty margarita mix and tequila are already mixed together in the bottle.

No, bottles are very specific, need to shake the bottle first [to mix ingredients].

So, to your pendant note, they are not ready. Razz

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14043 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
The article I read was that it was Margarita MIX which is basically lime juice and sugar isn’t it?

The stuff that you add the tequila to, not an alcoholic drink.

Just more sensational BS

All i know, Kirkland makes some of the best.

Ice and 50/50 of water and Kirkland mix is the bomb on a hot afternoon of yard work.

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14043 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Providing alcohol to a minor is a pretty big crime where I live. Have to show ID to buy regardless of apparent age. Kids under 21 cannot enter a bar, or even the bar area of a restaurant. Not even to wait for a table with parents.

Something like this might get prosecuted here.

Posts: 4729 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
If this would have happened when most all of us were in Kinderschule, it would have been ...
These ^^^^^ were pretty much my thoughts on the matter.

Karens and Nancy-bois getting their panties all in a twist over a child doing relatively harmless child things some children do

We never even thought to touch our parents' adult beverages. Or anything else that was their adult stuff. But some of the stuff we did do as children would have had these people in a constant state of panic and/or outrage.

God only knows how we survived all that parental neglect and abuse.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Exactly my thoughts.

quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
Where is the chips and salsa?

Posts: 22955 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Emily was gonna bring them,but her Dad ate all of them the night before.