SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Homeowner's son shoots, kills three would-be burglars
Page 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 ... 18
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Homeowner's son shoots, kills three would-be burglars Login/Join 
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 2012BOSS302:
He sounded a little leery of saying he was disarming himself - and I don't blame him. I would have wanted to hear the sirens as the police showed up.

Yep. I'm dropping the mag and ejecting the last round only once the deputy is at the door and has said they have cleared the house. Especially if he thinks he only got two of the three.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of DEC505
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chowser:
We had one a few years ago. Kid called and said someone is banging on his window. While on the phone with dispatch you can hear the kid telling the person to go away or he will shoot. The guy breaks in through the window and is shot twice by the resident. Our guys get there, talk to the kid (he was early 20s), take the gun and the perp gets taken to the hospital. In no way whatsoever was it on anyone's mind to arrest the kid. We're not like the media and internet portrays.

And just how long did it take for the kid to get HIS gun back ??

Hell has no fury like a liberal
confronted with reality

Posts: 814 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 26, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I'm interested to know what ammo was used in that Blaster 15.

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Coin Sniper
Picture of Rightwire
posted Hide Post
See, you can fix stupid

Pronoun: His Royal Highness and benevolent Majesty of all he surveys

343 - Never Forget

Its better to be Pavlov's dog than Schrodinger's cat

There are three types of mistakes; Those you learn from, those you suffer from, and those you don't survive.

Posts: 37950 | Location: Above the snow line in Michigan | Registered: May 21, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Good-n-uff™

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43870 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:

Honestly at that range I doubt it would make any difference.

wolf steel case, frangible, FMJ, SP whatever ... striking a lightly clothed target at 3000+ fps at a range of 15 ft is going to be damn lethal.

--------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Not really from Vienna
Picture of arfmel
posted Hide Post
She drove off 'cause she didn't want blood and stuff on her car upholstery.

Posts: 26896 | Location: Jerkwater, Texas | Registered: January 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
“No Battle Plan Survives Contact With the Enemy” -- Helmuth von Moltke

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
I believe the young man did an excellent job even though the 911 operator sounded like an idiot. I don't think I would have had that much patience with her.
The victim had a plan and he exercised it and exercised it damn well!

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by szuppo:
I believe the young man did an excellent job even though the 911 operator sounded like an idiot.
The 911 operator sounds young and inexperienced. Put yourself in her shoes for a moment, having a call like this come to you.
You can hear people in the background of the call, giving her direction. Catch her with the same kind of call a couple of years from now, she'll handle it like a pro.

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107514 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
So, the three thieves broke in and the shooter enountered them in a hallway. If that hallway is typical of American homes, it's not very wide. So, three bodies bunched together in a narrow passage. The shooter shoots into the goup, perhaps 4 or 5 shots in rapid succession. One or more bullets penetrate the two guys in the front (the ones the shooter says he shot) and hit the guy in the back of the group. Overpenetration explains why the shooter thought he hit only two of the three thieves.
The guy in the back of the group who got hit with overpenetrations is the one who ran out into the driveway.
One thief may have died instantly, but the shooter tells 911 that one of them "crawled into a bedroom". So, two of the three were not instantly killed. Although the hits caused both of them to lose their will to fight, it may not have rendered them incapable of continuing the fight, had they been better armed and more determined. This is after being hit with projectiles packing more than three times the energy of the average 9mm handgun load. Food for thought. Shoot until you don't need to shoot anymore. It may very well be that these were not center mass hits, and that death occurred simply by blood loss. We'd have to see the autopsy reports to know. Nevertheless, an AR15 does not possess magical stopping powers.

I'll extend my guesses by saying the AR15 the shooter used has a 16" barrel, since most AR uppers today are this length. Also, I'll guess he had a fully loaded 30 round magazine (probably a Pmag), and the ammunition was 55 grain M193 or the equivalent.

Again, all just guesses, but...

posted Hide Post
^ if true, shooting fish in a barrel..

Posts: 1804 | Location: Austin TX | Registered: October 30, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
I believe the young man did an excellent job even though the 911 operator sounded like an idiot. I don't think I would have had that much patience with her.

On the chance that you were thinking about my quote above, I was alluding to the robbery plan of the now deceased planners.

I doubt the victim had what could reasonably be called a plan. He had a rifle, access to it, knew how to use it, and dealt with the situation as it unfolded.

Luckily, I have enough willpower to control the driving ambition that rages within me.

When you had the votes, we did things your way. Now, we have the votes and you will be doing things our way. This lesson in political reality from Lyndon B. Johnson

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible." - Justice Janice Rogers Brown

Posts: 48369 | Location: Texas hill country | Registered: July 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
'Murica
Picture of szuppo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JALLEN:
quote:

On the chance that you were thinking about my quote above, I was alluding to the robbery plan of the now deceased planners.

I doubt the victim had what could reasonably be called a plan. He had a rifle, access to it, knew how to use it, and dealt with the situation as it unfolded.

No, I believe the victim of this attempted robbery did in fact have a plan. He knew well enough to talk to the 911 operator and direct her during the call. He was the one that told her he was barricaded in a bedroom in the SE corner. He was the one who told her that he would unload the rifle and place it on the bed once he was certain the deputy was on scene. He was very calm during this whole ordeal after having shot what he thought was two individuals.
I'd venture to say that not so many on this very Forum would have handled it as well as he did.
He definitely had more than a rifle and access to it. Even if that was nothing more than having run a few scenarios around in his head.

Semper Fi

Posts: 3240 | Location: Canfield, Ohio | Registered: October 31, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Never miss an opportunity
to be Batman!
Picture of jsbcody
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

No, I believe the victim of this attempted robbery did in fact have a plan. He knew well enough to talk to the 911 operator and direct her during the call. He was the one that told her he was barricaded in a bedroom in the SE corner. He was the one who told her that he would unload the rifle and place it on the bed once he was certain the deputy was on scene. He was very calm during this whole ordeal after having shot what he thought was two individuals.
I'd venture to say that not so many on this very Forum would have handled it as well as he did.
He definitely had more than a rifle and access to it. Even if that was nothing more than having run a few scenarios around in his head.

Amen to this. I have had people tell me they were so scared and rattled when an incident occurred, they couldn't call 911 right away because they were actually looking for the "11" button on their phone.

Posts: 3927 | Location: St.Louis County MO | Registered: October 13, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
Similar situation in SLC today.

http://www.sltrib.com/news/511...robes-fatal-shooting

Posts: 12461 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I believe in the
principle of
Due Process
Picture of JALLEN
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

That all occurred after the action.

Some people become nervous wrecks after a highly intense event. Others actually become quite calm.

Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
^^ one shy of 40k posts.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20815 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Here's an interesting detail:

(Wagoner County Sheriff’s Deputy) Mahoney told the Tulsa World that Rodriguez and the three teens had broken into a spare room in the home earlier in the day and returned later to search the rest of the home.

Further details:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...ned-perpetrator.html

"Zach, 23, a qualified small airplane pilot, rushed down stairs with his AR-15 assault rifle.

As he turned a corner from the hallway and into the kitchen he saw the masked intruders and sprayed them with gunfire.

His bullets thudded into the walls and refrigerator and also killed the three youths with each suffering a single bullet wound to the upper torso."

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Fire begets Fire
Picture of SIGnified
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
Here's an interesting detail:

(Wagoner County Sheriff’s Deputy) Mahoney told the Tulsa World that Rodriguez and the three teens had broken into a spare room in the home earlier in the day and returned later to search the rest of the home.

Further details:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/new...ned-perpetrator.html

"Zach, 23, a qualified small airplane pilot, rushed down stairs with his AR-15 assault rifle.

As he turned a corner from the hallway and into the kitchen he saw the masked intruders and sprayed them with gunfire.

His bullets thudded into the walls and refrigerator and also killed the three youths with each suffering a single bullet wound to the upper torso."

Thud? A 5.56?

More like a zing or a plink to me ...

Now, a .300 WIN MAG ... might start to THUD ... but only if 175+ grains or better ... m'be a 204 grain or just move up to .338 Lapua? Razz

"Pacifism is a shifty doctrine under which a man accepts the benefits of the social group without being willing to pay - and claims a halo for his dishonesty."
~Robert A. Heinlein

Posts: 26756 | Location: dughouse | Registered: February 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post