SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I'm looking for a good, 0 sugar, low sodium jerky
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm looking for a good, 0 sugar, low sodium jerky Login/Join 
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted
Does such a product exist?

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
How much sodium in a low sodium jerky? I like the peppered option from Tillamook’s zero sugar jerky. No clue if the sodium is high. Tillamook

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for evil to triumph is that good men have insurance." JALLEN

Posts: 961 | Location: Shadow of St. Helens | Registered: December 28, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy a good dehydrator and make your own. If you plan on eating a lot of jerky it will pay for it's self in no time.

Posts: 12679 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by dar185:
How much sodium in a low sodium jerky? I like the peppered option from Tillamook’s zero sugar jerky. No clue if the sodium is high. Tillamook

I saw that at Costco tonight, but at 500mg sodium, it's more than I want.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4930 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Salt is used as a preservative in Jerky and the American Public isn't the least bit concerned about a Heart Healthy diet so the chances of finding a low sodium jerky is nill. So the suggestion for making your own is sensible. However keep in mind that without salt it will spoil much more rapidly so keep if refrigerated.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5647 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Perception
posted Hide Post
I can't vouch for this company as this was just a quick google search, but here's a list of low sodium jerkys they sell. A quick glance shows many of them also have very low sugar.

FIND TASTY MEAT HERE

Hopefully you can find something that will taste good and meet your nutritional requirements.

"The people hate the lizards and the lizards rule the people."
"Odd," said Arthur, "I thought you said it was a democracy."
"I did," said Ford, "it is."
"So," said Arthur, hoping he wasn't sounding ridiculously obtuse, "why don't the people get rid of the lizards?"
"It honestly doesn't occur to them. They've all got the vote, so they all pretty much assume that the government they've voted in more or less approximates the government they want."
"You mean they actually vote for the lizards."
"Oh yes," said Ford with a shrug, "of course."
"But," said Arthur, going for the big one again, "why?"
"Because if they didn't vote for a lizard, then the wrong lizard might get in."

Posts: 3514 | Location: Two blocks from the Center of the Universe | Registered: December 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
W07VH5
Picture of mark123
posted Hide Post
The only stuff that I’ve found without sugar was Bitong. I invested in a jerky oven because I couldn’t find stuff with acceptable ingredients.

As mentioned the salt is what preserves the meat. It’s high by design.

Posts: 45373 | Location: Pennsyltucky | Registered: December 05, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Thank you
Very little
Picture of HRK
posted Hide Post
Best bet is to make your own, I use my Traeger smoker, set at 225 and let it do the job you can season as you wish limiting the sodium.

I just have the butcher slice the meat into strips then bring it home to season, saves a lot of time, there are plenty of pre-packaged marinades or you could googletize plenty of recipes, sure there a lots of low sodium/low sugar seasonings.

Posts: 23439 | Location: Florida | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
Is it even jerky with low or no salt?

That’s what makes it what it is.

Posts: 33802 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
You don’t need a dehydrator to make your own. Just use your oven. It’s super easy, I prefer the jerky I make to most store bought

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
california
tumbles into the sea
posted Hide Post
EPIC Venison & Beef Strips on Amazon.

Ingredients: venison, beef, sea salt, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder.

Excepting preexisting conditions, the low salt thing is mostly gov diet mantra - The Salt Fix: Why the Experts Got It All Wrong--And How Eating More Might Save Your Life.

Posts: 10665 | Location: NV | Registered: July 04, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
paradox in a box
Picture of frayedends
posted Hide Post
Yeah I was also gonna mention that salt seems to not contribute to high blood pressure as once thought. I lost weight on keto and my BP came to normal quickly. I still eat a lot of salt.

These go to eleven.

Posts: 12436 | Location: Westminster, MA | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I made some a few years ago using Alton Brown's online recipe. Don't know if he has one that suits your criteria but what I made was very good tasting. Often he has alternate recipes to suit different needs. I did mine in the oven but if I recall, he had built a dehydrator from a window fan.

The “POLICE"
Their job Is To Save Your Ass,
Not Kiss It

The muzzle end of a .45 pretty much says "go away" in any language - Clint Smith

Posts: 2890 | Location: See der Rabbits, Iowa | Registered: June 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post