SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Ordered a car, is it likely it won't be made? Those in the know care to comment.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ordered a car, is it likely it won't be made? Those in the know care to comment. Login/Join 
No ethanol!
posted
Back at the end of September I ordered a GM model which suited me but was not available for 500 miles (didn't want it loaded down with nanny car controls). I've waited since then only to be told now it may not be made.Rhymes with Caddyshack.

Is this BS, dealer issues? Or has covid really made ordering impossible?

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 2011 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of bigdeal
posted Hide Post
Could be. I read a story today that Ford is cutting a couple shifts manufacturing the new 2021 F150, not because buyers aren't looking to buy one, but because parts suppliers are way behind due to Covid.

-----------------------------
Guns are awesome because they shoot solid lead freedom. Every man should have several guns. And several dogs, because a man with a cat is a woman. Kurt Schlichter

Posts: 33845 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: April 30, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3930 | Registered: January 25, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
My other Sig
is a Steyr.
Picture of .38supersig
posted Hide Post
Also hearing that just about every manufacturer is having a hard time getting chipsets.

Oddly enough, the only manufacturer that makes their own is GM. They shouldn't be affected by the shortage.

Posts: 9165 | Location: Somewhere looking for ammo that nobody has at a place I haven't been to for a pistol I couldn't live without... | Registered: December 02, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
drop and give me
20 pushups
posted Hide Post
Not sure . How long has this car been on order??? Did you place a financial down payment??? Do you have any documentation to show proof of a actual order??? And if so where is it or when it will be delivered?? Afraid I would have already been at that dealership with legal advice if I had proof of order being placed and accepted. Covid 19 be dammed !! To me it looks like somebody might be up to something on the shady side. ................................... drill sgt.

Posts: 2021 | Location: denham springs , la | Registered: October 19, 2019Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
There was no deposit, since they did not know if production was reliable. Understatement Roll Eyes Local dealers have all received more of the CT5-V, just the loaded versions. Literally 12 to 18K more, for stuff I would turn off.

------------------

Posts: 2011 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
Why would it not get built? Unless they didn't submit your allocation & instead ordered a more optioned one.

With the Blackwing just coming out, I don't see the standard CT_-V being discontinued.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by .38supersig:
Oddly enough, the only manufacturer that makes their own is GM. They shouldn't be affected by the shortage.

The question, then, becomes why can't the other makers get them? If it's a raw materials issue, it doesn't matter if you're making your own.

Posts: 5164 | Location: Iowa | Registered: February 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Too soon old,
Too late smart
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drill sgt:
Not sure . How long has this car been on order??? Did you place a financial down payment??? Do you have any documentation to show proof of a actual order??? And if so where is it or when it will be delivered?? Afraid I would have already been at that dealership with legal advice if I had proof of order being placed and accepted. Covid 19 be dammed !! To me it looks like somebody might be up to something on the shady side. ................................... drill sgt.

Nothing shady. It's a wide scale problem. Chip related.

https://www.reuters.com/articl...uction-idUSKBN2A31FM

NRA Life Member
Member Isaac Walton League

I wouldn't let anyone do to me what I've done to myself

Posts: 1489 | Location: NoVa | Registered: March 14, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
There was no deposit, since they did not know if production was reliable. Understatement Roll Eyes Local dealers have all received more of the CT5-V, just the loaded versions. Literally 12 to 18K more, for stuff I would turn off.

Suspicious about the no deposit taken unless you are a frequent flyer in that store. No sales manager wants to take a chance of a car becoming next year's carryover/good example of lot rot if the order configuration is way out of the normal for the car and or the area, paying floor plan, discounting heavily to move it, all not desirable in the dealership world.

As an example when the Pontiac Grand Prix introduced the DOHC 3.4L engine a friend wanted one with a five speed manual transmission. He went shopping, ran into a lot of resistance including at the dealer I worked at. Our sales manager proposed to him a 25% down non refundable cash deposit figuring that would be the end of it.

Friend said "Be back in an hour". Deal done.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8116 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lawyers, Guns
and Money
Picture of chellim1
posted Hide Post
quote:
As an example when the Pontiac Grand Prix introduced the DOHC 3.4L engine...

Yeah, that was a bummer. I was a huge Grand Prix fan prior to 1978.

"Some things are apparent. Where government moves in, community retreats, civil society disintegrates and our ability to control our own destiny atrophies. The result is: families under siege; war in the streets; unapologetic expropriation of property; the precipitous decline of the rule of law; the rapid rise of corruption; the loss of civility and the triumph of deceit. The result is a debased, debauched culture which finds moral depravity entertaining and virtue contemptible."
-- Justice Janice Rogers Brown

"The United States government is the largest criminal enterprise on earth."
-rduckwor

Posts: 24156 | Location: St. Louis, MO | Registered: April 03, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No, not like
Bill Clinton
Picture of BigSwede
posted Hide Post
Things are really goofy right now because of the Plandemic. Pre Plandemic, if you wanted something, I would more than likely tell you I can get it for you in a couple of days. Or, if it was a really weird configuration, 4-6 weeks, no problem. Now, I won't make any promises on timing, "it may not even get built this model year Sir".

We are pre selling a lot of our inventory before it even gets here. Taking a ton of orders and hoping they get built. We aren't trading as much as we used to either, I am very protective of my inventory right now. Depending on what it is, even though there might be 5 of what you are looking for within 100 miles, I may not be able to get one. Guy walks in wanting a Colorado crew cab, the dealer that has it will want a 2500 diesel for it. That's not going to happen. I will offer you an order or I might tell you where it's at.

It used to be that we could place a sold order and it would get priority and be placed and built pretty quickly. Now we have to wait until we get an allocation for that unit and hopefully not on constrain for what ever reason. For example, we have a few sold orders in the system for 6.2L V8 1500 Silverado's, the engine has been on constraint for a couple of months.

They, GM announced that they are going to idle a few plants because of the chip shortage, suppose to be a short period though

If you want, send me the configuration you are looking for. I will search for you and tell you where it's at if it exists. You can deal directly with that dealer and have it shipped to you.

Posts: 5342 | Location: GA | Registered: September 23, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted Hide Post
Nov 2019 the Chevy dealer 15 miles south of us told my wife that the car she wanted was not available for over 250 miles around. Said it might dot be available for 6 months or more.
So as we left that dealer she pulled out her phone to start looking. First dealer she looked at, 15 miles west of our home, had exactly what she wanted in the color she wanted.
She called to confirm they had and we drove over and bought it.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4139 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Page late and a dollar short
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by chellim1:
quote:
As an example when the Pontiac Grand Prix introduced the DOHC 3.4L engine...

Yeah, that was a bummer. I was a huge Grand Prix fan prior to 1978.

Not to change the topic here but that 3.4 DOHC was a real gem. Break a cam belt, bend some valves. 60k was the recommended mileage for replacement of the cam drive belt, many ignored that with expensive results. I forget the drill here but an alternator replacement entailed working under the car and if memory is correct lifting the engine somewhat.

-------------------------------------——————
————————--Ignorance is a powerful tool if applied at the right time, even, usually, surpassing knowledge(E.J.Potter, A.K.A. The Michigan Madman)

Posts: 8116 | Location: Livingston County Michigan USA | Registered: August 11, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:
Why would it not get built? Unless they didn't submit your allocation & instead ordered a more optioned one.

With the Blackwing just coming out, I don't see the standard CT_-V being discontinued.

Because GM won't do it. I don't see this as being a dealer problem - the dealer wants the sale. But GM may not be willing to make a real oddball special order in a time when there are labor and parts shortages.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Needs a check up
from the neck up
Picture of Timdogg6
posted Hide Post
Likely the dealer wanted to be nice and say yes, they will order the car, they very well may have ordered it but then GM is not building them as them as the nannied versions are selling like hotcakes.

Go look for a BMW x7 or Benz GLE450 with all the nannie features, not one to be found still for sale after 24 hours. Most are sold before delivery at the dealer.

Everybody wants the nannies!

The entire reason for the Second Amendment is not for hunting, it’s not for target shooting … it’s there so that you and I can protect our homes and our children and and our families and our lives. And it’s also there as fundamental check on government tyranny. Sen Ted Cruz

Posts: 5134 | Location: Boca Raton, FL The Gunshine State | Registered: July 30, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That is a nice looking Cadillac. I don’t say that often. I like some of the nanny features. Now that I’ve had a couple cars with cross traffic alert while backing up I love it. Parking next to a huge truck is no longer like parking lot roulette. 12-18k in nanny features seems wildly excessive though. I wouldn’t want that either.

Posts: 7540 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
BigSwede, Thanks for the informed reply and offer. Email inbound. Smile

------------------

Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jhe888:
quote:
Originally posted by P250UA5:

Because GM won't do it. I don't see this as being a dealer problem - the dealer wants the sale. But GM may not be willing to make a real oddball special order in a time when there are labor and parts shortages.

It's been >10 years, but when I was working at a Chevrolet dealer in college, if we put in an allocation, it was built as speced.
Maybe that's changed, or is different for Cadillac.

You'd think, especially on a higher $$ variant as the -V models are, a customer order wouldn't get pushback for specific configuration.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15364 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not being a jerk, is 500 mi too far to drive for what you want? Out here we have a few big dealers next state over. I have routinely looked at them and the drive would be about the same. Pleasent way to get to know your new vehicle and at least you know you can get it and drive it away vs ordering.

My truck was an order but factory parts were not in flux as they are today and I wanted a combination that wasn't found anywhere else.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post