SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    I need a metal detector
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I need a metal detector Login/Join 
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted
But right now it is just for what should be an easy, one time purpose. I need to find a corner stake on my property, probably use it to find a few more too. I know about where it is and probably within 20' or so.

I don't plan on treasure hunting at the beach or anything, just finding the piece of pipe marking the corners.

I've got a neighbor that recently bought the 15 acres next to me (I have 18 1/2), fenced it if for horses and must think there is a 50' "no mans land" on the property. When he first bought it (before I even knew it had been sold) I emailed my neighbor, the previous owner who sold off this piece, asking her who had mowed and plowed the field well into my land. She forwarded it to him (he also lives in the neighborhood so we know who each other is) and he replied he didn't think it was that big of a deal and if he wanted he said he'd disc it all and plant it for me. WTF? Did I ask for that? No thanks, please be more cognizant of the property lines. Now again he's parked his harrow obviously (to me anyway) well into my property. I've lived here over 20 years and can pretty much tell you within 5' where the line is in most spots. This guy has had it a few years and really doesn't give a shit. If I were to be working the soil and making 4 wheeler trails near the line, I'd damn sure know exactly where the line is.

Another neighbor behind me some 8-10 years or do back gave his buddy permission to put up a deer stand easily 50'into my property. Cleared the brush and small trees around it and everything. I drug the fucking stand out, brought it to work and sold it. His buddy, who it turns out I knew from our kids playing baseball together, came to my door looking for it. When I told him I sold it he told me it was his son's. I felt bad and got it back for the guy. He said my neighbor said to hunt there. I had the neighbor over and he was all indignant about thinking that was well within his property until I broke out the plot map. Then he got pissy with me and told me we needed to hire a surveyor and split the cost. Fuck that. I know where the line is, he can pony up if he wants that done.

How the fuck do you not know where your property line is, especially by the margin these two assclowns fucked it up?

Anyway, sorry this turned into a rant about snobbish dumbass neighbors. Both these guys are quite well off, it must give them a sense of entitlement.

So, recommend an effective but inexpensive under $75 (maybe $100) basic detector that can find these stakes. Then I'm gonna put up some big ugly fucking markers these ballsuckers can see.

I am not BIPOLAR. I don't even like bears.

Posts: 12965 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Good Fences make Good Neighbors.

Period. I have felt your pain, no more.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Three Generations
of Service
Picture of PHPaul
posted Hide Post
Sigh.

I've been involved in that pissing contest for years.

We went so far as to consult a lawyer who specializes in such matters and the gist of her advice is this:

(This is for Maine, I make no representation regarding it's validity in other states)

You can pay a licensed surveyor $5000 to establish and mark the line. If your neighbor disagrees or ignores it, you can spend $50,000 defending it in court and still not have a legal foot to stand on. If he builds on or over the line, it's still your problem to prove it and hope for an enforceable judgement.

Unofficially, she said our best bet was to build a fence where we claim the line is and make HIM pay a lawyer in hopes of proving otherwise.

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

Posts: 15489 | Location: Downeast Maine | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Corgis Rock
Picture of Icabod
posted Hide Post
Call some of the rental places. Your problem isn't unique and I expect they would have one.

Thinking like the neighbor, you will find the pin, show it to him and he won't believe you. If he thought the tree stand was well on to his property, then he could get put out.

“ The work of destruction is quick, easy and exhilarating; the work of creation is slow, laborious and dull.

Posts: 6065 | Location: Outside Seattle | Registered: November 29, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Call some of the rental places. Your problem isn't unique and I expect they would have one.

Yeah I know they have them but $40-$50 for a day, racing back and forth 25 miles, gas, time, for a little I could own one.

Posts: 12965 | Location: Western WI | Registered: January 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Would not lot markers be of brass or a non-magnetic metals laid in concrete pad to prevent rusting?

If this is correct I do not think a cheap metal detector may work.

I may be wrong. I once used a very cheap metal detector I purchased from a hobby store to find a white 14K wedding band I lost in our back yard under the swing set pushing our daughter.

This one looks even nicer then the one I used that I purchased from Radio Shack.

http://www.kotulas.com/deals/P...zsldMCFQt3fgodOVYC3Q

This one looks real nice.
When you are thru with it you can donate it to a local Boy scout Troop

http://www.homedepot.com/p/GAR...dCVIEMQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
I've seen the markers I'm looking for in the past and I'm pretty sure the were steel.

That first one looks inexpensive enough to try.

Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
I rented a metal detector about a decade ago to do the exact same thing. I failed miserably.

I ended up calling a company who found the spikes in 15 minutes.

Best 50 bucks I ever spent.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12403 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pepsiblue
posted Hide Post
I have one that you can borrow, if you have any interest in that.

10mm lays waste to entire cities, cuts through diamonds and will tear Superman a new asshole. - Parabellum

Sex offenders can not be rehabilitated. It's in their wiring. They should not be released back into the general public. On the other hand they should not be warehoused either. I think they should be executed.....Spectre

When someone tries to kill you, it doesn't matter how they are doing it. You're in mortal danger, and it's time to try to kill them back.

Arc.
___

Kill every last one of these goddamned animals. We need a president with balls. We need leadership. We should be carpet bombing these barbarians wherever we find them, and we should be looking for them 24/7. We have to unleash Hell upon them. They understand nothing but death, so death is what we should bring them, wholesale.... Para

I left "practical" behind many years ago. It was covered with my first Glock 19. (Fredward)

Posts: 2523 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: July 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
I rented a metal detector about a decade ago to do the exact same thing. I failed miserably.

I ended up calling a company who found the spikes in 15 minutes.

Best 50 bucks I ever spent.

Hmmmm...

quote:
Originally posted by pepsiblue:
I have one that you can borrow, if you have any interest in that.

Thanks for the offer but I'm guessing shipping both ways might cancel out the savings.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Yeah when they surveyed my house for purchase, they plotted all the stakes - I can find one or two of them at times, but the others are nearly impossible to find. I'm sure if I called the company I could get a similar $50-ish deal to find the 1 or 2 that would matter to me on the property.

Definitely be the first person to build a fence, take the initive and put them on the defensive.

I honestly can't imagine living without fences.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:
Good Fences make Good Neighbors.

Period. I have felt your pain, no more.

THIS!

I had some issues 30 years ago with the guy who was our neighbor at the time, with his nags, constantly on our field. I knew where the pins where as we had just bought the property.

Put up a fence and that was the end of the damage by his horses then later on cattle.

Same for hunting issues, though one needs to post signs for that as well.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Hobbs
posted Hide Post
From the sounds of it, if you find and mark the corners ... your neighbors may have little respect for that, as it is just something you did. They may not see it in any way as legally binding. Hell, they just might go out and find and mark however they'd like or move whatever you mark. I'd have it surveyed and mapped. Might save some legal headaches down the road and would give you some legal "ammunition" regarding property boundaries.

Posts: 4829 | Location: Bathing in the stream of consciousness ~~~ | Registered: July 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Man of few words

Picture of remsig
posted Hide Post
https://www.amazon.com/Winbest...words=metal+detector

I got this one for my son 2 Christmas' ago and it works pretty well. The price is right at $59. Too bad you didn't live closer, I'd let you borrow my son's.

Posts: 7859 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: July 03, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by remsig:
https://www.amazon.com/Winbest...words=metal+detector

I got this one for my son 2 Christmas' ago and it works pretty well. The price is right at $59. Too bad you didn't live closer, I'd let you borrow my son's.

I just went ahead and ordered that. Thanks.

Only the strong survive
Picture of 41
posted Hide Post
Sounds like one of my neighbors doing the same thing. Next after you find the pegs and mark them, he will pull them up like my neighbor did.

This same neighbor mows about two acres on the other side that doesn't belong to him and also has a tree stand on their property.

Posts: 11889 | Location: Herndon, VA | Registered: June 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
If you find the pins at least drive a steel fence post beside them. Will make it a breeze to find in the future.

Posts: 13069 | Registered: January 17, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Loves His Wife
Picture of BRL
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:
If you find the pins at least drive a steel fence post beside them. Will make it a breeze to find in the future.

This is what I plan to do.

posted Hide Post
Many metal detector shops will rent you one. Get one with an all metal mode.

Posts: 466 | Location: NW Ohio | Registered: August 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wcb6092:

No, dig a hole 3' deep with a post hole digger and cement them in there!!!!!!!

Posts: 21408 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post