SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    Does anyone else like reading obituaries?
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Does anyone else like reading obituaries? Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I've lived in three places in my life, outside my fun times in the Army.

So I read the obits from those three places looking to see if any are of friends or folks I knew.

Once in a while there's a shocker-someone I knew well died. I then read all the posts on the obit from friends of the deceased to see how many of them I know.

Nothing morbid, IMO, just curiosity I guess.

Bob

Posts: 1671 | Location: TampaBay | Registered: May 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Warhorse:
I read my local one, just to make sure I'm not listed. Big Grin
Sigforum had a false alarm a few years back. Pilot crashed with the same name as one of the Sigforum pilots.

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23662 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Serenity now!
Picture of 4x5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by 4x5:
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
I think you and I might be birds of a feather. I even like to visit cemeteries and read the headstones. The older and more remote they are the better. You should visit the cemetery in Iosepa, Ut. It is mostly Pacific Islander settlers. Fascinating story behind that place...

Here's the cemetery at Camp Floyd out by Cedar Fort not too far from us. I took this pic three years ago-ish

These graves are from the pre-civil war era when Utah wasn't even a State. They are men who passed from a fever that swept through the camp.

Yep - I also enjoy walking through cemeteries. There's a headstone in the Lehi Cemetery for someone who died in WWII as pilot of a Douglas SBD. The headstone even has an engraving of the aircraft. I've always wondered about him, but I've never been able to find out any more about him.

I'll have to plan a roadtrip to Iosepa some day. Sounds interesting.

I’d very much like to visit his grave. Kinda where is it?

Somewhere in this area,right next to the road. You can see it from your car.

Ladies and gentlemen, take my advice - pull down your pants and slide on the ice.
ʘ ͜ʖ ʘ

Posts: 4945 | Location: Highland, UT | Registered: September 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Living my life my way
Picture of molachi
posted Hide Post
I read the obits every day to see if anyone I used to work with has died. Unfortunately I have seen too many in the last 25 yrs. that I knew that were my age.

Posts: 1756 | Location: The Backyard of Nowhere | Registered: August 09, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Thanks 4x5! I’ll go this weekend

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29906 | Location: Norris Lake, TN | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of VonFatman
posted Hide Post
i read over the names in our local paper's obit. ....if it's a person i knew, i will read the obit completely.

just because it's a small town and if someone i knew passed, i might wish to send a card or attend the services.

bob

Posts: 376 | Registered: September 03, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
quarter MOA visionary
Picture of smschulz
posted Hide Post
"Like" - no but I reluctantly look at the online obits from my home town to see if there is anyone I know. Frown

Posts: 23197 | Location: Houston, TX | Registered: June 11, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Eating elephants
one bite at a time
Picture of ffips
posted Hide Post
I stumbled upon a site called peoplepill.com today. It seems like it might be of interest to a few.

Smile

Posts: 3580 | Location: in the southwest Atlanta metro area | Registered: September 10, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
As long as it's not mine...

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 44463 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of taco68
posted Hide Post
I am an investigator for the medical examiner's office in our small (6500 pop.)community. I read them daily. I find it interesting to learn about some of my "clients" and who the relatives are.

Sigs P-220, P-226 9mm, & P-230SL (CCW)

Posts: 2543 | Location: Icebox of the Nation | Registered: January 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
sure
I kick myself on a regular basis,
I should have copied and saved the best obit I ever read, 15 months ago.

since I wrote in the condolences , i thought I should be able to find it in line, but can not

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55181 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
I look at them near daily, but not for the reasons you mentioned. I've got a few friends (well maybe acquaintances in some cases) that I'm probably not on the call list should they pass. About 8 months ago I spotted and Obit of a very nice women... wife of a guy who I've socialized with (both he and his wife) at the fitness center for a couple of years. I did not attend the services as they were noted as family only, but when I next saw him he was taken aback that I knew of her passing and we hugged and he cried.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
This was one many of us were glad to see. Asshat Cliffy WMS from the infamous >>>>>ARE YOU SMOKING F***KING DOPE?<<<<< thread who screwed with many members in real life.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...935/m/5730079024/p/1

http://www.tributes.com/show/C...oy-Williams-94100869

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16520 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I check them about once a week . There's a certain name I'm hoping to find some day .

Posts: 4252 | Location: Down in Louisiana . | Registered: February 27, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did you ever notice people die in alphabetical order?

Mongo only pawn in game of life...

Posts: 688 | Location: DFW | Registered: August 15, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I read an obit yesterday of a man in his late 90's. It was written that one of his great joys in later years, was eating York Peppemint Patties.

Posts: 5679 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Trophy Husband
Picture of C L Wilkins
posted Hide Post
An interesting website:

https://www.findagrave.com/

Posts: 3208 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 29, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Maybe the best obit that I have read

Edwin John Kinney, 64

Edwin John Kinney, 1951-2015

"A Good Man with a Hammer"

Edwin John Kinney was born in Iowa City, IA to Edwin Kinney and Ellen Kinney. The 5th of 9 children he attended Catholic School at St. Patrick's, followed by Regina and then City High, class of 1969.

He left home at the ripe age of 16 to travel cross country, before being lawfully shuttled back to Iowa City where he lived for the duration of his life.

Ed held numerous jobs in his lifetime. Paper boy, farmhand, sibling con man. Later, feed mill operator, Texan water tower painter, Nagle lumber yard worker, & boiler room fire feeder. He became a skilled carpenter, learning the trade from fellow local contractors before starting his own construction business.
Edwin and Constance were married in 1976; he spent over a decade coaching kid's sports teams, and 19 years dropping his children off at Shimek Elementary.

Of the events of a man we cannot truly venture to speak with any accuracy or from the mere chance of information, nor any notions, but according to our own. For a man is not just a man, he is beyond the sum total of his events and continues to live through the imagination and complex relations to his loved ones, to his land and to his work.

Ed loved his family, friends and lowa. With a deep reverence for the past, he had an abiding respect for our ancestors, many who have been laid near the lands they tilled. He knew intuitively, as well as by fact, that this land was to be trusted, that it created democracy along with life. He dug deeply into this taproot of his experience to harvest the language of endurance, understanding, and love.

Ed had no secret tools but relied upon real courage, honest friendship, and loyalty. He did not feel the incompatibility between words and deeds; he found braveness in the gesture of the commonplace. Ed had an abundance of imagination. He shared it freely.

He built things with it like he created love: to be true to the measure of life and to the impermanence of time.

Ed gave spontaneously, not from the calculations of profit or loss, but with an intangible grace and exceptional versatility. His love remains in the uncalculated hearts he joined in this world.

He was preceded in death by his beloved wife, Constance "Connie" Kinney, and his beautiful parents, Ellen and Edwin Kinney. He and Connie are survived by four children: Jessica, Stephen, Sarah and James; three grandchildren; five sisters, three brothers; numerous nieces and nephews; and countless lifelong friends.

While Ed was a generous man, he was a seasonal Grinch. He loved trees and hated the commercialization of Christmas - one of his favorite (sarcastic) quotes was "In the spirit of Christmas, kill a tree." Given his love of trees, we are requesting in lieu of flowers you donate to "Trees for the Future" (treesforthefuture.org). Or, please bring a potted tree to the funeral home that can later be planted.

Like his mother, Ed had a passion for western novels for the expansive notions of freedom, work and love. One of their favorites finished, "A good man with a hammer." And so it was with Edwin John Kinney.

Safety, Situational Awareness and proficiency.

Neck Ties, Hats and ammo brass, Never ,ever touch'em w/o asking first

Posts: 55181 | Location: Henry County , Il | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
teacher of history
Picture of maxwayne
posted Hide Post
I always read the deaths in my college alumni magazine. Yesterday, I saw that a short term roommate died. I had not seen him since graduation day in 1969.

Posts: 5679 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: March 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The best Obits written by Richard Corliss who himself is now deceased. The article is too long to post:

https://time.com/3833966/richa...iss-best-obituaries/

Posts: 17481 | Location: Stuck at home | Registered: January 02, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post