SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  The Lounge    My son just graduated from the Army War College
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My son just graduated from the Army War College Login/Join 
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted
at Carlisle Barracks, Carlisle Pennsylvania. We couldn't be more proud of him. Also lots of kudos to his wife and family for being by his side and "having his back" along the way. Many moves and family separations to get to this point. Another unaccompanied deployment starts next week for a year.

Damn Army BratSmile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.
Picture of thomjb
posted Hide Post
Congratulations dad and thank all of you for being there fo him and please thank him for his servce.

Thom

"Tulta munille!"
NRA Benefactor Life Member
NRA Certified Instructor
NRA Range Safety Officer
SAF Life Member

Posts: 2835 | Location: SouthWest IN | Registered: August 07, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CQB60
posted Hide Post
That’s a great achievement, his first of many I’m certain..

Posts: 13813 | Location: VIrtual | Registered: November 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of adobesig
posted Hide Post
Outstanding, congratulations to him and your family.

Posts: 1089 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: November 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Little ray
of sunshine
Picture of jhe888
posted Hide Post
Excellent. My father in law was a graduate. He enlisted at 17 in 1940, and got a commission when he finished pilot training. After the war, the Army/Air Force sent him to the war college.

Congratulations.

The fish is mute, expressionless. The fish doesn't think because the fish knows everything.

Posts: 53122 | Location: Texas | Registered: February 10, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
Send him a box of crayons. Tell him some guys from the Navy sent them and he could have them back now.

Oh, and said a big congratulations!!

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Striker in waiting
Picture of BurtonRW
posted Hide Post
Damn, now I feel old.

My father was a USAWC graduate (class of '94) while he was on loan to NIMA from the CIA. We decided to move up to Carlisle for the year instead of having him try to do the reverse weekend warrior thing, so my sister and I got to try home schooling. Worked great for me. Spent the mornings doing my school work and then learned to play golf on the barracks golf course and volunteering at MHI (this was long before USAHEC, of course).

That was my 8th grade year.

Did I mention I feel old now?

Congrats to your son! I know directly 2d hand how much work that course takes.

As an interesting aside, Carlisle Barracks was formerly the home to the US Indian Industrial School, which was pretty much the opposite of "woke", but did produce some phenomenal men including Jim Thorpe.

-Rob

I predict that there will be many suggestions and statements about the law made here, and some of them will be spectacularly wrong. - jhe888

A=A

Posts: 16270 | Location: Maryland, AA Co. | Registered: March 16, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bookers Bourbon
and a good cigar
Picture of Johnny 3eagles
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:
Send him a box of crayons. Tell him some guys from the Navy sent them and he could have them back now.

The Navy guys in his class still need them, and may let the Jar Heads borrow them. Quite a diverse class. Even had some "Defenders of the Galaxy " as well. Smile

BIDEN SUCKS.

If you're goin' through hell, keep on going.
Don't slow down. If you're scared don't show it.
You might get out before the devil even knows you're there.

NRA ENDOWMENT LIFE MEMBER

Posts: 7120 | Location: Arkansas  | Registered: November 06, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Move Up or
Move Over
posted Hide Post
An accomplishment to be immensely proud of...

Posts: 4954 | Location: middle Tennessee | Registered: October 28, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of photohause
posted Hide Post
Outstanding, congratulations to him and your family.

Don't. drink & drive, don't even putt.

Posts: 1631 | Location:  | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Muzzle flash
aficionado
Picture of flashguy
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to the graduate! Obviously a reflection on his parentage.

flashguy

Texan by choice, not accident of birth

Posts: 27902 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: May 08, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unmanned Writer
Picture of LS1 GTO
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Johnny 3eagles:
quote:
Originally posted by LS1 GTO:

The Navy guys in his class still need them, and may let the Jar Heads borrow them. Quite a diverse class. Even had some "Defenders of the Galaxy " as well. Smile

Big Grin

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

"If dogs don't go to Heaven, I want to go where they go" Will Rogers

The definition of the words we used, carry a meaning of their own...

Posts: 14038 | Location: It was Lat: 33.xxxx Lon: 44.xxxx now it's CA :( | Registered: March 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Flying Sergeant
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your son, way to show him the way! Great accomplishment.

Posts: 1673 | Location: Waukesha,WI | Registered: December 19, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Congratulations to your son, you and your family.

The Army War College is minutes away from my home. From time to time, I’ve had the privilege to meet War College attendees who travel from all parts of the world to either further their education or to instruct at the college. Whether joining us at the sportsmen’s club during our practical shooting practice sessions or competing at our local International Toastmasters Public Speaking competitions, the people I’ve met appear to be outstanding individuals.

Posts: 282 | Location: Central PA | Registered: November 11, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Husband, Father, Aggie,
all around good guy!
Picture of HK Ag
posted Hide Post
Pardon my ignorance, what is the purpose of Army War College? Is this a place for select service folks to obtain a college degree on the path to becoming an officer?
Or is this a place to obtain a degree in advanced military tactics and strategies thus making you a more effective officer/tactician?
Or other purpose I cannot comprehend?

Thank you

HK Ag - not a veteran, but son of a Nam vet.

Posts: 3502 | Location: Tomball, Texas | Registered: August 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of KPSquared
posted Hide Post
Congrats to your son!
I did 28 years active duty in the Army as an officer but did not earn the opportunity to get selected.
I hope your son continues in his career.

Thanks,
KPSquared

Posts: 805 | Location: Ft. Knox, KY | Registered: February 24, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
HK AG,

It's a big deal.

Anyone who made it to General went through the War College or a similar service school.

From the WIKI

The United States Army War College (USAWC) is a U.S. Army educational institution in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, on the 500-acre (2 km²) campus of the historic Carlisle Barracks.[4] It provides graduate-level instruction to senior military officers and civilians to prepare them for senior leadership assignments and responsibilities.[5] Each year, a number of Army colonels and lieutenant colonels are considered by a board for admission.[6][5] Approximately 800 students attend at any one time, half in a two-year-long distance learning program, and the other half in an on-campus, full-time resident program lasting ten months.[5] Upon completion, the college grants its graduates a master's degree in Strategic Studies.[5]

Army applicants must have already completed the U.S. Army Command and General Staff College and the required Joint Professional Military Education for officers in the rank of major. While the Army handpicks most of the students who participate in the residential program, the student body always includes officers from the other military branches, civilians from agencies such as the Department of Defense, State Department, and National Security Agency, and officers from foreign countries who attend the program as International Fellows. For example, the residential Class of 2017 had 381 students: 218 active component officers and 61 reserve component officers from all five branches of the United States Armed Forces, 28 senior federal government civilians, and 74 International Fellows. Majors with the specialty of Function Area 59, Strategist, formerly Strategic Plans and Policy, also attend their qualification course, the Basic Strategic Arts Program (BSAP), at the college.

The Army War College is a split-functional institution. While a great deal of emphasis is placed on research, students are also instructed in leadership, strategy, and joint-service/international operations. It is one of the senior service colleges including the Naval War College and the Air War College. Additionally, the U.S. Department of Defense operates the National War College.

Posts: 271 | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mikeyspizza
posted Hide Post
Awesome, congratulations!

Posts: 4010 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: August 16, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post